Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 04-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilter View Post
How old is he?

My golden (and many in her family) did not gain at all till around 3, then it was often a 'oh sheesh' moment when they suddenly started to totally pack on the lard.

If you can find out from his breeder, it might be a case of the same. Give him time to mature and then he might be fine.
He'll be 5 in September. I don't know who his breeder is, I adopted him from the SPCA when he was 11 months old. I think part of why he doesn't look so great is because he's lacking muscle tone. He had a couple injuries this year that kept him very sedentary.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Original Twin

Saga, my Dobe, self regulates how much kibble she will eat in a day. She absolutely will NOT eat more than about a cup and a quarter each meal. If I gave her a cup and a half, she'd leave the remainder in the bowl. She also has protein sensitivities, except hers are poultry and red meat based (though she can have lamb). The ONLY thing I could get her to eat, that didn't give her the runs, were high calorie dog biscuits. The large Old Mother Hubbard BacNcheese to be exact. The large biscuits have 138 calories each. Don't know if the grains in them would work for him or not though.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobermonster View Post
Thanks for your reply. He's on Cal Natural Grain-Free Chicken - 454.0 kcal/cup. He gets a little over four cups a day. I'm hesistant to switch kibbles because it took a long time to find one that he did well on. He has some food allergies/sensitivities to grains and some protein sources (like fish).

Never heard of canned beaver - where do you get it?

My Malinois is on the same food and has the same issues. I'll be curious to see what you accomplish. At this point, I'm afraid to give him anything other than the CA Natural.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside View Post
Saga, my Dobe, self regulates how much kibble she will eat in a day. She absolutely will NOT eat more than about a cup and a quarter each meal. If I gave her a cup and a half, she'd leave the remainder in the bowl. She also has protein sensitivities, except hers are poultry and red meat based (though she can have lamb). The ONLY thing I could get her to eat, that didn't give her the runs, were high calorie dog biscuits. The large Old Mother Hubbard BacNcheese to be exact. The large biscuits have 138 calories each. Don't know if the grains in them would work for him or not though.
Odin will eat until he pukes. And if he doesn't puke he'll have the runs for the next day. He's a complete food hound and would probably push me into traffic on the promise of a biscuit. I'd go back to 100% raw if it didn't more than double my food cost. Meat is stupidly expensive here.

ETA: Looks like we might be moving from Phase Diarrhea to Phase Gas Attack. Never thought I'd be thankful for flatulence. I am, however, trapped in the kitchen.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:34 PM
F150 and a .30-06

I have had god luck with cooked pasta. You could try a gluten free type if he cant do grain or gluten. There are lots of different bases. I have only used it on a short term basis.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 04-08-2013, 02:21 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
I have had god luck with cooked pasta. You could try a gluten free type if he cant do grain or gluten. There are lots of different bases. I have only used it on a short term basis.
Same here. Carbs put weight on anyone. If one of the zois is getting too light I add some cooked pasta with melted butter mixed in. Or oatmeal. They like both and it seems to do the trick.