Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-05-2013, 04:15 PM
I'm All Ears

The idea that working dogs are healthier is anecdotal at best. Probably depends on what you are comparing to. A bulldog? Ben yeah probably. A show bred border collie? No idea. Sadly I know of working breeders that have bred dogs with health issues. You can't really blanket a breeder type as 'good' or 'bad'. Lots of grey and lots of variety even among breeder 'type'.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
A lot of people but dogs from breeders sight unseen, reputable breeders, "show" people do it all the time with pups & adult dogs they want to intrograte into their breeding programs.

Though I have never done this, I am sure there are written contracts that protect buyer & seller

So? Usually if a serious dog person is buying a dog they will want Health cert. If they can't meet the dog in person they research lines and try to meet relatives. Or they have trusted friends that see the dog and eval in person.

Both breeders unlike are on the over side of the county. I probably wont get to go visit. Buying nextdog is way way way different than picking a pup off an ad.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:22 PM
<(<) <()> (>)>

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
I... don't understand the point? Congratulations? There is no way ANYONE can know that for sure just by looking at pictures. Nor can you know they don't have any health issues because "they can run just fine!"
This.

Gipsy was from a BYB. We didn't know any better. Not an excuse, but we just didn't know any better. Her coming from a BYB did not make her any less of who she was. She was my heart, but her health wasn't too great.

She looked really healthy up until she had cushings, and developed liver cancer.
What you didn't see all those hers were back problems, as well as horrible allergies. She couldn't eat most foods, was sensitive to many things and had skin and ear problems on and off.

Looks like a pretty healthy puppy to me though.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:44 PM
aka RedHotBabe

I ordered something from Amazon, two days later received wrong item. Refund issued, prepaid return label emailed to me, new item ordered with overnight shipping. No problems. Newly ordered item arrived today. It was the SAME WRONG ITEM. Refund issued again, but I can't order again because they need to figure out why I keep getting sent the wrong thing first.

Boo.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
The idea that working dogs are healthier is anecdotal at best. Probably depends on what you are comparing to. A bulldog? Ben yeah probably. A show bred border collie? No idea. Sadly I know of working breeders that have bred dogs with health issues. You can't really blanket a breeder type as 'good' or 'bad'. Lots of grey and lots of variety even among breeder 'type'.
I don't think it's as simple as just "working breeders." Most "working breeders" I've seen are weekend-warrior types, who go to retrieving or manwork or herding trials on weekends... some have 20 acres, 20 sheep and some mini-horses or something... not that this is bad! but I don't think that helps much in maintaining health.

Now, dogs that truly work on big ranches or run miles beside an ATV hunting... yeah I think that probably helps weed out dogs that are less robust. I would also guess that people who have dogs for work first and foremost are less likely to make excuses for dogs that aren't quite right. I mean if you think of dogs that have life expectancies of <10 years, how many are breeds that have been used for some legitimate, physical job until recently?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:14 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
What about hip dysplasia? Elbow dysplasia? Eye problems? Allergy problems? Thyroid problems? Patella problems? Heart murmurs? Liver shunts?
Yes, thank you.

Quote:
That begs the question .... Are mixes really healthier then purebred dogs?
Some individual dogs (who may be mixes or purebreds) are healthier than other individual dogs (who may be mixes or purebreds).

Quote:
Four dogs, all (likely) from brb's/shelters all healthy. I have numerous mixes, all healthy, so please excuse me if I do not believe that all dogs from BYBs are inferior & riddled with health problems.
Nobody said all dogs from BYBs are inferior and riddled with health problems. But I take exception to anyone claiming that an litter of puppies is healthy because they "look healthy" in one picture on a CL ad, whether they are purebred OR mixed.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Top Dog

Where did anyone say that all dogs from BYBs are unhealthy, anyway?
Old 04-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I would have to agree somewhat with this, epilepsy is extremely common in working and sport line BCs, but then again, when you compare it to HD, CEA/CL/TNS, Elbow dysplasia, cancer, etc that are rampant in some of the top show BC lines, which is better? IDK. Hard question.

However, don't think its as simple as saying "working lines" and "show lines"- there are even huge differences within those worlds, so how can we truly lump them all together? There are some lines healthier than others but it is not because of what they were bred for, rather how careful their breeders were.

My vent for today is that I have incredibly swollen nasal passages and I can't breath. Also, something is seriously wrong with my foot/ankle and I don't know if I can handle my dogs this weekend.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 04-05-2013, 06:31 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Still feel icky.

And, not yet bad news...

We had a little kitten dropped off at work today. She's around six weeks old. Her anus never formed, and somehow her body reformed itself to let her excrete feces out through her vaginal opening. Urinating completely normally. Gorgeous, totally sweet kitten. Playful, curious...just a doll.

One of our vets said he would come in on his day off and operate on her to give her a chance if the other vet thinks she'll have a good quality of life afterwards, and we techs can help place her in a home where her being incontinent won't be an issue (such as a safe, outdoor home).

She may be euthanized tomorrow. Or, if she's operated on, she may not make it through the surgery, or recover well enough since she's so young.

But regardless, everybody say a little prayer for this little kitten tonight.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Top Dog

Oh I forgot about my other byb purebred, Pippin, a chow chow. I raised her until she was two then she went to live with a good friend until she passed away at 12 of old age, she was arthritic, but otherwise she was very healthy and had a superb temperament.

Her dad was a CKC Ch. and her mother was from Petland.

IMO we lucked out with her health though, it really could have gone either way.