Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Top Dog

The worst hip case I saw was a sweet little shepherd mix girl who could barely walk at the age of 4 months. She was euthanized. Oh and her coat was nice and shiny and she was a good weight at the time.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab;I posted 247788
My first Chow was from a BYB. They had dogs from decent lines, but did not health test. He had horrible hips, which he had surgery for. He blew out a knee (which he had surgery for) and he was allergic to everything green (which we managed by keeping him away from all things green). To look at him, he was in wonderful coat and condition. Even seein him walk around, you'd not know he had any issues since we fixed them.

To continue, my Grimm was in fabulous body condition..even when an autoimmune disease was taking him from us.

And Julian, who should be the poster dog for BYB, is in fine coat condition (except right now, because sometimes you need a haircut) and he's a little turd..physically and behaviorally.

There is not a single thing you can tell about those pups from a photo, except that, yep,those are Mastiff mixes.

I'm not certain that you are grasping what a BYB actually is... most BYBs don't have their starving dogs caged in a shed, covered in filth and grime.
Yep.

Hell, i posted pictures a week before Rosey died. Everybody commented how great she looked, and how healthy she was looking. She had a large cancerous tumor. She looked great, though!

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Top Dog

Romeo has PRA and some on/off congenital kidney issues.

But hey, at least he LOOKS healthy!

Old 04-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

E-mailing with my insurance agent so he can give me a quote and I mention I haven't moved into my home yet. He asks when I think I will move into the house.

I have no other response but to laugh.
Through tears.

"Six months ago?"

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-05-2013, 03:45 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Stupid phone refreshes the page every time I switch windows when on photobucket ... ****ing phone :wall

This is Josefina ... She is a shelter Heeler (mix??? We're not sure) who I am sure was from a BYB ... Does she look unhealthy? She has no skin problems, perfect eyesight & I assure you she has no hip problems :/.

This is Izze ... Who was from a BYB (parents weren't shown, only ears/eyes tested & worked). Her ear is messed up because she was kicked by a cow, it didn't start that way. & believe me she was healthy til she died ... I think she would have outlived me

This is buddy he is a rescue & prolly from a BYB also & he is healthy as a horse

SOOOOOOO ........

Four dogs, all (likely) from brb's/shelters all healthy. I have numerous mixes, all healthy, so please excuse me if I do not believe that all dogs from BYBs are inferior & riddled with health problems.

Last edited by Dogdragoness; 04-05-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I... don't understand the point? Congratulations? There is no way ANYONE can know that for sure just by looking at pictures. Nor can you know they don't have any health issues because "they can run just fine!"

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
There is no way ANYONE can know that for sure just by looking at pictures. Nor can you know they don't have any health issues because "they can run just fine!"
x2.
or x1million.

"Looks healthy" and "IS healthy" are two entirely different things. NOBODY said "all BYB dogs are riddled with health problems!!" They said you can't tell health just by looking at a picture.

Would you look at a picture of a car and buy it without ever test driving it? "Well, it's clean and shiny - looks like it runs well!" Of course not.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Top Dog

She looks great... but I think the whole point is that a dog can look great and have

underlying health issues.

In other words,

health issues that are not visible to the naked eye.

My guess is that you resent people's attitudes toward BYB dogs, because your dog isn't from health tested lines and she is fine, so now you want to defend BYB mastiffs.

There are a number of issues with untested e.g. heelers :
  • It's about probability, or the incidence of health problems... just because one dog is fine doesn't mean the rest of the litter isn't crippled.
  • Dogs can have problems and still look great.
  • Dogs can get problems later in life.

That said, people have been breeding working dogs (hard) for centuries and producing reasonably healthy animals. Could they be doing it better, by testing, yes, but am I really that worked up about it? No. I think we're in agreement there.

But should we apply system to all dogs, considering (in addition to the problems listed above for a relatively healthy breed):
  • Large and giant breeds are more likely to get e.g. hip dysplasia.
  • Some breeds have more prone to health issues than others.
  • Dogs from non-working lines are arguably more prone to health issues.

I mean I think you'll agree that there are breeds that are just riddled with health problems... how do you think they got that way? How are people supposed to make them healthy again?
Old 04-05-2013, 04:11 PM
I'm All Ears

I'm on my phone but you've seen pucturess of Mia and Mia being Mia. She's active and in great condition and... Bad knees. You can't always tell.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:13 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

A lot of people but dogs from breeders sight unseen, reputable breeders, "show" people do it all the time with pups & adult dogs they want to intrograte into their breeding programs.

Though I have never done this, I am sure there are written contracts that protect buyer & seller