Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 04-03-2013, 07:32 PM
CharlieDog's Avatar
CharlieDog CharlieDog is offline
Rude and Not Ginger
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 9,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Do you think the prison compound is big enough? & even if it is, the presence of animals in addition to humans would bring way too many walkers for the benifits to outweigh the risks.
I would think there would be an inside courtyard, or something similar. They can't live off grasses and roots forever, they're going to have to bring some sort of animal breeding operation in. Rabbits would be okay if they could catch enough wild ones and tame them down without giving them heart attacks to get them to breed because that can be done indoors in a few cells no problem. Chickens as well, if they could find any that are alive.

The other issue is that rabbit meat is a little too lean to live off of. They're going to have to find something with more fat on it if they want to stay healthy. Canned food is going to run out. Powdered food is going to run out. They're going to have to figure out how to plant and harvest food without the fear of sabotage from the Governor and his ilk also.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
I would think there would be an inside courtyard, or something similar. They can't live off grasses and roots forever, they're going to have to bring some sort of animal breeding operation in. Rabbits would be okay if they could catch enough wild ones and tame them down without giving them heart attacks to get them to breed because that can be done indoors in a few cells no problem. Chickens as well, if they could find any that are alive.

The other issue is that rabbit meat is a little too lean to live off of. They're going to have to find something with more fat on it if they want to stay healthy. Canned food is going to run out. Powdered food is going to run out. They're going to have to figure out how to plant and harvest food without the fear of sabotage from the Governor and his ilk also.
True they could also catch wild turkey I suppose though the walkers prolly moved thru & took out most of the bigger non flying game or forced it to move on.

Though the rabbit thing might work if they could grow a garden & have some chickens ... The eggs would make up for the protien deficit
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Pops2 Pops2 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UT
Posts: 3,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
True they could also catch wild turkey I suppose though the walkers prolly moved thru & took out most of the bigger non flying game or forced it to move on.

Though the rabbit thing might work if they could grow a garden & have some chickens ... The eggs would make up for the protien deficit
The reason I said pigeon lofts is because
The parent pigeons do all the work raising the squabs
The pigeons forage for themselves
The manure is ready to use on crop fields as soon as its fully dry, no need to compost
Other viable options are geese which could graze inside the fences or the turkeys they would only need to keep and pinion hen turkeys as they would draw new toms every spring.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Pops2 Pops2 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UT
Posts: 3,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
I would think there would be an inside courtyard, or something similar. They can't live off grasses and roots forever, they're going to have to bring some sort of animal breeding operation in. Rabbits would be okay if they could catch enough wild ones and tame them down without giving them heart attacks to get them to breed because that can be done indoors in a few cells no problem. Chickens as well, if they could find any that are alive.

The other issue is that rabbit meat is a little too lean to live off of. They're going to have to find something with more fat on it if they want to stay healthy. Canned food is going to run out. Powdered food is going to run out. They're going to have to figure out how to plant and harvest food without the fear of sabotage from the Governor and his ilk also.
Best place for them to look for rabbits is at a beagle training pen, the stocked rabbits are most likely San Juans which are feral domestics meaning they have all the basic genes to recreate New Zealand's or Californians. Other pluses for rabbit are quiet, and manure doesn't absolutely need composting. Minuses are more labor intensive and susceptible to disease from people.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,372
Default

Can you eat pigeon eggs?
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-04-2013, 12:24 AM
Pops2 Pops2 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UT
Posts: 3,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowsfeet View Post
More please-
Okay,
the facility. once they cut the trees back, they can fence it off using field fence and pieces of 1X4 and long wood screws holding it to the trees. Then later about ten yards into the tree line add tangle foot. Pull the stumps & use to build divider fences between fields to be farmed, try to plant black berry, rose vines & honey suckle to grow over them. This will create wildlife habitat for future food.
Make scavenging trips to build a library with a focus on horticulture, agriculture, husbandry, energy production & other self sufficency skills. Also focus on tools lots & lots of tools. Standardized the vehicles, all one kind of 4 door pick up & SUVs built off that type of truck. Once the knowledge is acquired begin building power generation units to power the prison freezer & fridges first and the infirmary next. Then build a ham radio station & begin trying to locate other survivors. Build a still to produce alcohol, (need it to make vinegar which you need for pickling). Build a smoke house for food preservation. Figure out how to supply gas to the prison kitchen so you can do large scale canning. Begin teaching everyone basic skills in vehicle maintenance, agriculture, food preservation, & first aid.
food sources
Fish, crawfish & turle traps in all the surrounding ponds & lakes, leave them with a float attached & large John boat on shore with oars. Put each water body on a 3-5 day check with a randomized schedule to minimize risk of ambush. Check all residences for gardens with usable resources like asparagus, kiwi & grape vines, nut trees etc. that can be transplanted or grafted. Bird traps on top of buildings & in the court yard of the prison. In fall & winter, Deer & small game snares within sight of the prison & small game traps in water sets further away but within a 24 hour check radius.
Govt & growth
On the council with Tyreese is one other person from Woodbury & elected by them. If the vatos join they pick two to add to the council. If they don't, try to maintain friendly relations & trade. So there would be 4 from Rick's group & 2 each from Woodbury & the vatos. Scavenging trips should also include looking for sites similar to the prison (police stations, national guard armories etc) & also prepping Woodbury for recolonization down the road. As the prison group grows large enough these sites would be colonized. Any new groups showing up should be observed from a distance to get a feel for character. Individuals & families found should be brought in on probation. When the population merits, Darryl or some other appropriate individual should take a small 4 man group in 2 vehicles to seek out & observe any other groups as well as locating useful resources like large livestock, petroleum products,medical supplies, farm equipment etc. if suitable groups are found he would set up trade & communication relations.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Pops2 Pops2 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UT
Posts: 3,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Can you eat pigeon eggs?
You can eat pretty much all bird eggs just some are going to have unappealing texture based on water content. Turkey eggs have less water but boiled they make a nice rubbery substitute in clamless clam chowder.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-04-2013, 05:57 AM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
Okay,
the facility. once they cut the trees back, they can fence it off using field fence and pieces of 1X4 and long wood screws holding it to the trees. Then later about ten yards into the tree line add tangle foot. Pull the stumps & use to build divider fences between fields to be farmed, try to plant black berry, rose vines & honey suckle to grow over them. This will create wildlife habitat for future food.
Make scavenging trips to build a library with a focus on horticulture, agriculture, husbandry, energy production & other self sufficency skills. Also focus on tools lots & lots of tools. Standardized the vehicles, all one kind of 4 door pick up & SUVs built off that type of truck. Once the knowledge is acquired begin building power generation units to power the prison freezer & fridges first and the infirmary next. Then build a ham radio station & begin trying to locate other survivors. Build a still to produce alcohol, (need it to make vinegar which you need for pickling). Build a smoke house for food preservation. Figure out how to supply gas to the prison kitchen so you can do large scale canning. Begin teaching everyone basic skills in vehicle maintenance, agriculture, food preservation, & first aid.
food sources
Fish, crawfish & turle traps in all the surrounding ponds & lakes, leave them with a float attached & large John boat on shore with oars. Put each water body on a 3-5 day check with a randomized schedule to minimize risk of ambush. Check all residences for gardens with usable resources like asparagus, kiwi & grape vines, nut trees etc. that can be transplanted or grafted. Bird traps on top of buildings & in the court yard of the prison. In fall & winter, Deer & small game snares within sight of the prison & small game traps in water sets further away but within a 24 hour check radius.
Govt & growth
On the council with Tyreese is one other person from Woodbury & elected by them. If the vatos join they pick two to add to the council. If they don't, try to maintain friendly relations & trade. So there would be 4 from Rick's group & 2 each from Woodbury & the vatos. Scavenging trips should also include looking for sites similar to the prison (police stations, national guard armories etc) & also prepping Woodbury for recolonization down the road. As the prison group grows large enough these sites would be colonized. Any new groups showing up should be observed from a distance to get a feel for character. Individuals & families found should be brought in on probation. When the population merits, Darryl or some other appropriate individual should take a small 4 man group in 2 vehicles to seek out & observe any other groups as well as locating useful resources like large livestock, petroleum products,medical supplies, farm equipment etc. if suitable groups are found he would set up trade & communication relations.
Wow ... That's a lot of info & alot to think about
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-04-2013, 06:02 PM
sillysally's Avatar
sillysally sillysally is offline
Obey the Toad.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A hole in the bottom of the sea.
Posts: 4,978
Default

So in cold climates, would the walkers freeze solid since they are dead flesh?
__________________

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~




Labs do it in the lake.


Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
So in cold climates, would the walkers freeze solid since they are dead flesh?
Well judging by how they talked in the beginning of season 3 at the start of the spring "thaw" I think Rick or someone mentioned at some point that the walkers were "making up" for their lack of movability in winter as a possible explanation for their swarming every time they stopped somewhere.
__________________


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site