Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-02-2013, 12:52 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

See, my mom is 57 years old and has never used parallel parking (except on her drivers test). So we've never practiced it. Everyone says they don't test for it. But of course I'm going to a different testing place. I'm going to practice it tonight once I have my rental car. I'm gonna practice parking backing up as well. I hope the test is easy, but I don't want to leave anything uncovered because I NEED to pass the 1st time. I'm renting a car, missing work, and driving an hour away JUST so I can get my license TOMORROW. If I retake the test I'm gonna have to do that all over.

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 04-02-2013, 01:01 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Well parallel parking was part of my test, but it wasn't important. You had to succeed in two tries, and I did it in three. So while I failed the parallel parking portion, I still passed the overall test.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Top Dog

Honestly....I don't know very many people who passed their test the first time. So if I were you I'd try to prepare for the fact that, despite it being inconvenient and out of the way for you to retake it, many people do and it shouldn't be a big deal. Some of my friends who are excellent drivers needed to take the test 8+ times. I took it twice (failed the first one at a very strange kind of traffic triangle that I'd never seen before or since the test - also took it in a car I had never driven before). I know a few folks who passed the first time, but not the majority.

I did have to parallel park on my road test, but know others who weren't asked to. I don't find parallel parking very difficult (and I do it pretty frequently), I'm not sure why people struggle with it, I think they just never learn how to properly line up the car or something?

I've also heard of people having all sorts of different experiences with what they had to do as far as parallel parking, 3 point turns, traffic circles, etc...and a huge range of strictness on the part of the tester. Your best bet is to ask people who have taken the test in the same location you're taking it.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 04-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Top Dog

Mine was the standard checking to see if you can use your blinkers and lights, then a parking lot course where you had to pull into a parking space, back out and swivel into a different parking space (stupid cones) and then pull out. After that it was just driving a several block radius and back to the dmv. No parallel parking, which is good as I could not (and still cannot) parallel park. I've never even tried it, how sad is that.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:08 PM
orange iguanas.

I failed at parallel parking but still passed the test. The tester even told me no biggie, you'll probably never need to parallel park again... lol and so far he's been right.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-02-2013, 01:09 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Unfortunately or maybe fortunately pretty much everyone I know passed the test the first time. I actually can't think of anyone I know (from my area) who failed. So it's a lot of pressure on me because I will be really embarrassed if I fail. I also have anxiety, so that doesn't help me. I get very stressed and paranoid about any big thing like this. I just feel like people are counting on me, and I don't want to let them down. Everyone I know is like "don't worry, you're going to pass" and I wish they wouldn't say that. I wish they'd just say "if you fail it's not a big deal, just try your best." I just know if I fail it's gonna crush me and shatter my confidence. And I hate that. Because I know it shouldn't and I know it's not that big of a deal, but it doesn't change my anxiety over it lol!

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 04-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Top Dog

I think parallel parking should be on every test, so should every other skill. I rarely do it, rarely have to, but that's not the point. It's one of those things that test your capability as a driver. If you're to have a license, i think you should be competent and comfortable behind the wheel. Parallel parking is one of those things that will test that.

Not that I find it terribly difficult, but it shouldn't be, to someone who is comfortable and capable. But everything from how you handle a little pressure if cars are behind you, tester watching you're every move, how you use the throttle, brake, use signals, mirrors, check blind spots etc. Almost every aspect of driving can be tested in that one skill. I could care less if someone can drive around a block, I could do that when I was 12.

I'm addressing the general you, not anybody in particular.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Top Dog

I am just flabbergasted by people not parallel parking...how can you (general you, directed at no one in particular) never need it?? I mean I can see some areas not using it but if you ever travel or go to different neighborhoods you will have to know how to do it and trying to learn on a busy road while late for an appt and people waiting impatiently for you to get out of the way is not a good learning situation lol.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
I think parallel parking should be on every test, so should every other skill. I rarely do it, rarely have to, but that's not the point. It's one of those things that test your capability as a driver. If you're to have a license, i think you should be competent and comfortable behind the wheel. Parallel parking is one of those things that will test that.

This. There are times I had to do things in a car I NEVER planned on so am so glad I had to practice and learn different turns, reverses, etc.

And yes, in the tests here you can fail parallel parking and still pass as long as you did well on the rest of the test.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:29 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post

Not that I find it terribly difficult, but it shouldn't be, to someone who is comfortable and capable. But everything from how you handle a little pressure if cars are behind you, tester watching you're every move, how you use the throttle, brake, use signals, mirrors, check blind spots etc. Almost every aspect of driving can be tested in that one skill. I could care less if someone can drive around a block, I could do that when I was 12.

This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
I am just flabbergasted by people not parallel parking...how can you (general you, directed at no one in particular) never need it?? I mean I can see some areas not using it but if you ever travel or go to different neighborhoods you will have to know how to do it and trying to learn on a busy road while late for an appt and people waiting impatiently for you to get out of the way is not a good learning situation lol.
Yep, while I've never used it in almost 6 years (neither here nor Florida), my brother once had to park in the next parking lot and get my mom to park his car, because our parking lot was being painted and the only spot to park needed parallel parking. He even had to do parallel parking on the test. xD

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13