Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-30-2013, 04:31 PM
Top Dog

She's crated between runs, I'm assuming from your crate fan comment. How about one of the cool gel pads for the bottom of her crate? You could also look into getting a bigger battery operated fan (I have a Ryobi one I adore) that you can set up further from her crate, and put frozen water bottles between the fan and crate so it is blowing colder air to her.

Can you get her wet? Even if there is nowhere to swim, a bucket of water and a rag lets you wet down the belly/chest/between the hind legs. Meg won't get into the wading pools at agility trials, so I do that with her when it is warm.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
So I'm having some concerns with Summer. She was panting heavily today. It was hot but not that hot (around 80 F but bright sunny and humid). So it's going to get much hotter outside in the upcoming months. All of our practice is outdoors. She is a very loud panter but I don't really recall that being a problem until these last couple years.

She ran engaged but slow. I could not get her to take water at all. And she barked the entire class, so I am sure that doesn't help that she was essentially going for the entire hour and a half in the heat. The other dogs would lie down between turns and would take water. Some of the other dogs had slowed down a bit by the end of class too. I'm just worried about the panting. Summer was running really nicely at first.

Any advice? I think I am going to take her to the vet to get checked out just in case. And get a crate fan. And then work with her outside to try to settle in the crate. I wish we had an indoor practice facility but if I need to just skip the hotter days, I will. It's kind of baffling though because I don't remember that being a problem before.

ETA: It was also 27 F on Monday so I am wondering if it could be partially the sudden temperature change and she's just not used to it yet?
Yes, get her checked, especially since this is new. It could just be the rapid temperature change, though.

To encourage water drinking, you could flavor it. I usually use Vertex, which is a supplement, and mix it in a little water when I want them to drink. Or you could use a little unsalted broth.

Drinking water would definitely help her.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:55 PM
I'm All Ears

It's been happening the last couple of years at least (at least last year). I have a hard time knowing if I'm being a worry wart or not. I hope it is nothing serious. Nikki died of CHF, so that's always on my mind.

Last edited by Laurelin; 03-30-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:24 PM
Top Dog

80, especially when it's humid out I think can be pretty heavy panting worthy? I know I would expect Lo to pant after a bit of running at 80. Can't hurt to get it checked out though, it'd probably be worth the peace of mind.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:37 PM
I'm All Ears

I'd think so too but she was panting so much louder than the other dogs. :/ She's fine on cooler days though.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:38 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I'd think so too but she was panting so much louder than the other dogs. :/ She's fine on cooler days though.
It really probably is just her not adapted to the temperature, and needing to drink more water. But a vet visit will make you more comfortable.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:45 AM
Top Dog

We had a good trial today! Tess made her triumphant return to competition, after several months lay-off to recuperate from a hiking injury. (with a cheating trip to the Invitational in the middle of the lay-off, then back to no agility) We can all breathe a sigh of relief now, she should go back to being a mellow, easy to live with house dog. Rather than Destructo-Dog.

Here's her JWW run. A little more handler focus than I like, she's always tended to be overly handler focused, and I think me being over-cautious as she has been getting back into training has made her look at me more. She still got 4th place, so not so bad.

And Pirate, on the same course. He is amazing.

I didn't see the last bar go down, so I was thinking we Q'd, until I saw the score sheets. But it was still a great run.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Top Dog

Okay, I have to share this one for the hilarity.

Tess' Standard run the next day (Sunday). I think there might be a training hole.

At least her DW contact was perfect.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Top Dog

Lauren,
In regards to over heating and crates. Plastic and soft sided crates are bad for keeping a dog hot, especially if the dog has been wet down to cool off. The inside of the crate turns into a sauna. Crate fans will help but keeping a dog in an uncovered wire crate is best.

Take cotton balls, soak them in rubbing alcohol and wiping the pads of their feet also help to cool them down quickly. Cooling coats are good but be careful which ones you use, some will actually trap the heat and really are not cooling them down. Mesh coats, work best. Soaking a dog is cool water (not cold) and letting them dry naturally is excellent. Spray the inside of their mouth with cool water, homemade flavored ice cubes and water also works very well. When I bake liver, I was soak and wash the liver after baking to remove the slime. I keep this water and freeze it to use at trials to ensure my dogs drink or eat ice cubes.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

My goal this weekend, Susan Salo Puppy Jumping in hand, is to build jump bumpers and stride regulators. Wish me luck.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.