Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Hyper active refers to the impulsivity, the restless leg, fidgety inability to settle in a "boring" environment, and the blurting or interrupting in conversation commonly followed by panic and regret. This creates a ton of anxiety and often overt self control or rather avoidance.

ADD is described as the withdrawn, daydreamy, trouble focusing, often seen as shy but mostly just dissociated.

From what I remember.
Oh. Crap
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 03-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Top Dog

I don't have ADD, but lots of the symptoms of ADD are also present with other disorders (depression, bipolar). Even if you never seek a diagnoses, treatment, medication, etc. there are a lot of resources for coping skills and ways to improve focus, listening skills, etc. You can look for a time management or communication skills course, even an online forum or something, to help you out.

If it's really affecting your day-to-day life, you're struggling with work or your personal relationships are regularly strained because of it, I'd seek further help (not necessarily meds, but counseling or a coping skill class)...however, if it's just a minor inconvenience, you can probably improve it yourself.

Also, things like a poor sleep schedule, poor diet, etc. will definitely make it worse.

I know a few people who have started on ADD medication as adults. Most of them, it didn't last very long, and wasn't worth the side effects. But, I do know one person (who was always a good student, successful young man) who's life drastically improved after he started prescription ADD medication. Since he's started, probably about a year ago, he's lost a great deal of weight by healthy eating and exercise, taken on various projects with success, and his already-good grades have improved, as well as his social life. He's never been in any kind of behavioral therapy, so it's safe to say the drugs are what's made a difference, but I don't think that's the typical outcome.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Little dog, big voice

I'm not an adult, although I'm almost considered one... but I started ADD medication, Concerta, back in August/October. It's worked wonders and I'm really starting to see the differences.

Half the time, I didn't even realize I was zoning out... I'd probably zone out for a good quarter of the class or more. Now, on days that I forget my meds, I can notice a big difference in my attention span. I forgot it the other day and had to keep reminding myself to pay attention after I caught myself in "la la land".

I still can't multitask too well, but I'm only on the 27mg. Typically they go from 18mg to 36mg but I didn't respond well to that big of an increase so we ordered in the 27 and it's made a ginormous difference. I got a 78 in math last semester and right now, I'm getting an 89... not too much the 90s in both my science classes.

I'd go talk to a psychologist and get their opinion on medication. The psychologist I went to, actually both, said it's really hard to diagnose at times because it varies so much. The first said that I seemed bright and alert, so my mom sent me to a different one who did agree that I showed signs of ADD. She recommended the Concerta and said that many people do really well on it once they find their perfect dosage. Although she also said that there is a brand name Concerta and a generic Concerta, so you need to make certain that it's the brand name.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:49 AM
Nuke it from orbit ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
That scary moment when you read a comprehensive list of symptoms and your other half tells you that's you, and you recognise every single one of them and can think of a time (nearly weekly or daily) where they apply! Then you look at more lists and 99% of them apply... Lol. Got to love google self diagnosis

Seriously though... Then what do you do?!

FYI, this is the list I read out loud....... Oh dear lol.

http://www.nacr.org/wordpress/91/com...-add-in-adults
Worry not, I have been clinically diagnosed with ADHD since I was about 7 or 8 years old, I don't take meds for it, I had wonderful parents that found tutors that taught me coping skills tht allowed me to function without meds thank god cuz most of them have horrible side effects.