Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-14-2013, 01:55 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Sorry, what is ocd??

Eta, nevermind, I'd already read about this!

What is the prognosis if its this? And could it occur after trauma (ie, if he did run into a tree, we aren't 100% sure but think he did. There was no injury or apparent pain after, but would fit).
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Last edited by Dizzy; 03-14-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Top Dog

Osteo chondroitin dissecans is a tear in the cartilage. It can happen because of trauma, but also some larger breed dogs can be prone to it. They don't even seem to need trauma for it to happen.

Fleetwood's was never fixed. But after 1 year of age, it stopped bothering him. And because he has so many other health problems going on, it was the least of my worries.

My vet said that it can be fixed with a procedure called platelet rich plasma (PRP) which is like a form of stem cell therapy, I guess. They take tissue from him, isolate the plasma, and inject it back into the injury site. No surgery, anestethsia, short recovery time. And not very expensive.

So I hope that's not what it is with Fred! Maybe it's just Pano or something else, but if its OCD, PRP might be an option.

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 03-14-2013, 11:16 AM
such sights to show you

In some dogs as they age, some of the cartilage that normally would mature into bone doesn't do so properly and causes flaps or tears of cartilage.
It can be caused by trauma but can also happen spontaneously, as Tazwell said.

Generally it is treatable surgically. The surgeons just remove the abnormal flaps of cartilage, and the dogs I've seen have gone on to be completely normal. Some dogs have long term problems if it isn't treated.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Ringing the vets tomorrow to look at booking an MRI scan. Gonna cost a fortune, as we have only just insured them and don't think it will cover it.

Don't care though.... I won't relax till I know it's going to heal soon! Even if it shows nothing, and it's just muscle or something. At least them ill know.

God, it's not even a bad limp lol.... I was never like this with Bodhi!!!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Getting a CT scan, vet is going to find a few places for us to look at taking him. Fingers crossed its just a waste of time and money!

Old 03-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Top Dog

Fingers Crossed!!!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Consultation booked for the 26th with poss scan on the 27th, he will have to stay in overnight

Its at the animal hospital, very good place, so fingers crossed.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:32 AM
Love my pets

Sending lot of vibes that you get good news. Keep us updated.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Top Dog

How did everything go with Fred's scan? Sorry if I missed it in another thread somewhere?

Really hoping it wasn't bad news.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:52 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Not great, but the scanner was broken so back in two weeks to confirm vets suspicions. Could all turn out fine yet, we are thinking positive

Fred is happy as Larry so that's all that matters at the moment!