Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 03-28-2013, 10:13 AM
release the hounds release the hounds is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
The dealer who called me last night killed me.
Dealer: The bottom line price on the Mazda is $23k, I cannot go any lower.
Me: Okay, well, I guess it's out of my budget then. I do not want to pay anything over $21k, out the door.
Dealer: Well then why don't you just finance it?

YES, MAGICAL FINANCING THAT MAKES THINGS COST LESS MONEY!

I am going to start prefacing all communication with "I am a math teacher, please don't try to trick me with fancy number games."
Tell him sure, you'll finance it, for 21K. Then let him do his fancy numbers game to make up the difference and instead of a 3 or 4 year, let him stretch it out to 6 and really make up some interest. Let him do all that paperwork, then walk in with your own check and buy it for 21K
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 03-28-2013, 10:24 AM
Flyinsbt's Avatar
Flyinsbt Flyinsbt is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 886
Default

I really, really want a CX-5, but I can't afford to buy a vehicle, so I'll just keep driving my POS early 90's vehicles. I have a Toyota car, and a GM truck, my 2 least favorite makes. In general, I prefer American makes, but the CX-5 is so perfectly what I want in a vehicle, that I forgive it for being a Mazda.

I have a wariness about the Ford Escapes, because I know someone who had one, and the engine exploded in her driveway. Yes, really. Admittedly, her mechanic thought it was really weird and unusual, so maybe they don't really explode all the time, but I just can't get past that.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 AM
CaliTerp07's Avatar
CaliTerp07 CaliTerp07 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
Tell him sure, you'll finance it, for 21K. Then let him do his fancy numbers game to make up the difference and instead of a 3 or 4 year, let him stretch it out to 6 and really make up some interest. Let him do all that paperwork, then walk in with your own check and buy it for 21K
Oooh, that's brilliant. That's definitely worth a try! All the financing offers I've seen allow you to pay it off after 3-6 months anyway (and my bank will purchase/refinance the loan at a lower rate anyway, if necessary).
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 03-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Michiyo-Fir Michiyo-Fir is online now
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,388
Default

Volkswagen Jetta sportwagen. How's my passengers are you planning to take? If you fold one side of the seats down (so 3 ppl fit including the driver, you can put 2 crates in.

If you're interested I can measure my car for you and see exactly what fits..
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 03-28-2013, 10:34 AM
release the hounds release the hounds is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,156
Default

That's basically what we did with our last 2 vehicles. I researched the price I wanted for the car we wanted. Walked in and told them what I wanted and what I was willing to pay. Not outlandish, but something I thought was reasonable. Of course I let them do their fancy financing and they both put the loans out to 5 and 6 years.

I made sure there was no prepayment penalty and I also had financing available from the bank before hand. Went in, signed the paper work, a month later, called the financing company asked for a payoff balance to confirm and sent them a check.

Then just paid off our bank loan. Saved quite a bit, I think we paid off almost 2 years earlier and the interest was over 2 points lower as well.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 03-28-2013, 12:03 PM
ruffiangirl ruffiangirl is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort McMurray, AB, CA
Posts: 1,681
Default

I have nothing to add to the vehicle side, I hate ford escapes, and mazdas, LOL, that said I also hate the way the new Grand Cherokees look as well.

But I will add a second nod to the Husky Liners, they will last forever, I am waiting for mine for the jeep to come in, we have them for our F-250 and they are fantastic!
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Torch's Avatar
Torch Torch is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Posts: 701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
I really, really want a CX-5, but I can't afford to buy a vehicle, so I'll just keep driving my POS early 90's vehicles. I have a Toyota car, and a GM truck, my 2 least favorite makes. In general, I prefer American makes, but the CX-5 is so perfectly what I want in a vehicle, that I forgive it for being a Mazda.

I have a wariness about the Ford Escapes, because I know someone who had one, and the engine exploded in her driveway. Yes, really. Admittedly, her mechanic thought it was really weird and unusual, so maybe they don't really explode all the time, but I just can't get past that.
We work closely with the nearby Ford dealership to put their customers in rental cars. We EASILY put 2-3 customers a day in a rental car that the dealership has to pay for, because that person's brand-new or under warranty Ford product crapped out on them.

So we are renting 60-90 cars a month to people who are dealing with mechanical issues with their Ford products. And we are a 200 car fleet.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 03-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Psyfalcon Psyfalcon is offline
Fishies!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,364
Default

If you get a low enough interest rate you can make a bit cash off it. Promotional 0 or .9 financing then invest in something that makes a better rate with the rest of the cash.

Its not going to make up the difference though unless you know what to pick and take some risk.
__________________
Buster
PhotoBlog
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 03-28-2013, 02:53 PM
stardogs stardogs is offline
Behavior Nerd
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 4,592
Default

I pit dealers against each other via email (so it's in writing) and then take the top 3 and visit - saves a LOT of drive time! They come back with a higher number, well "so and so has it for _____ out the door (all inclusive), can you beat that?" If not, "thanks but I'm going with someone else" often works. I got my used RAV for about $2000 less than many dealers were selling the same model/year for.

I like the idea of telling them you're a math teacher up front, too. LOL
__________________
Erin, Ziva, Kestrel, Aerten, and Snipe
Always in our hearts: The Amazing Maggie Mae


Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 03-28-2013, 03:47 PM
release the hounds release the hounds is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I pit dealers against each other via email (so it's in writing) and then take the top 3 and visit - saves a LOT of drive time! They come back with a higher number, well "so and so has it for _____ out the door (all inclusive), can you beat that?" If not, "thanks but I'm going with someone else" often works. I got my used RAV for about $2000 less than many dealers were selling the same model/year for.

I like the idea of telling them you're a math teacher up front, too. LOL
That's a great strategy too. They may not like the fact that someone isn't coming in the door so they can try and sell them something, but at the same time, nobody is coming and wasting time either.

It's this is what I want, this is what I want to pay, will you sell it for that price. you're not having to drive all over spending hours at a dealership, they don't have to spend 3 hours on one customer. Gone are the days of "I need your keys so our staff can check it out for trade in value" and then they play the game where they sit you in an office and keep you there for hours till you get pissed and demand your keys back NOW! I learned that lesson the hard way
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site