Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Wall running into with Malinois is because they're too busy to be bothered by a stupid barrier.

Sloan *is* brilliant and extremely trainable. Backup is a dope but we're carving away at molding a brain.

I have found several dogs of a variety of breeds to be dumb, like has trouble figuring out how to get the reward, but I'm not sure I have a total dumber than breed list.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Sometimes clients at work who have some idea what a Malinois will say, "Oh, those dogs are really smart, right?" I usually just simplify to "yes". Blossom does do stuff that average people would be wowed by, usually to do with quickly grasping what I want and doing it eagerly, just because I asked. I think it's that hyper-biddability that makes them smart. And they are masters of patterns and subtle cues as well.

But truthfully those same traits can make her act kinda dumb. When I pack her crate up for any reason, if I tell her "kennel" she will run to the empty space where it was and jump just like she's hopping through the door that's not there, LOL. Keeva would run to where the crate should be, find nothing, look around for another crate, and then probably bark at me and offer some other behaviors.

I put slippers on the other day, and she was all, "YOU PUT SHOES ON AND SHOES MEAN WE GO OUTSIDE AAAAAAHHHHH" and it took her like 20 minutes to accept that we weren't going outside. If Keeva is crated and I let her out, Blossom also thinks, "OMG TIME TO GO OUTSIDE. I BETTER SPIN AND CRY!" because I guess she associates dogs being let out of crates meaning we go outside, probably because that's what happens when I get home from work.

The intelligence of more primitive breeds is very different IME. Keeva definitely has a streak of that in her - she's a thinker. Well sometimes, she definitely has her obsessive herding breed times too.

Blossom is more trainable, but I would absolutely call Keeva the "smarter" dog.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:29 AM
Glutton for Crazy

If there is an open crate anywhere, like in the middle of the room, would she still pick that spot? My dogs are pretty spot specific unless I point at a different crate, it's just a creature of habit thing but also something I trained in so that even when I took down crates I could point to their area and they would lay down and settle.

I do laugh when my dogs hit walls but its purely because I have allowed such high value for rewards. In a less motivated dog you wouldn't see this behavior, i.e. what wall? all i see is the reward or you being the barer of a reward, and at the same time you wouldn't have a dog appropriate for such extreme work and subsequent sport which they've been bred for generation after generation.

In other words, although Sloan is the best dog ever to shape with because she's stupid smart and extremely motivated they as a breed may not be problem solvers in the same ways an independent, less obsessive, primitive dog is.

However, I also don't want a primitive thinker if I need a SWAT dog, too much analytical, well maybe if we waited and tried this instead, would likely get us killed. lol
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
However, I also don't want a primitive thinker if I need a SWAT dog, too much analytical, well maybe if we waited and tried this instead, would likely get us killed. lol
Well, unless you have a Stafford. They're great thinkers who can easily figure out complex stuff on their own, but they don't have much sense of self preservation, so trying to avoid getting killed wouldn't occur to them.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:49 AM
I'm All Ears

Mia is a wonderful combination of biddable smart and also problem solving smart. I don't see that combination that often. Summer is also a very biddable, intelligent dog too. My trainers have all talked about how bright Summer is. She doesn't problem solve nearly as well. But really doing agility you don't see much difference at all. They each have strengths and areas where they need more work (and those areas are often the same for both of them). But it's at home life where you get to realize how the two are really different. Summer's never unlocked the crate to get what she wants out of it or locked her sister in a crate (that was the funniest thing). Or climbed the shelves to get to food. Or many other things.

Quote:
I put slippers on the other day, and she was all, "YOU PUT SHOES ON AND SHOES MEAN WE GO OUTSIDE AAAAAAHHHHH" and it took her like 20 minutes to accept that we weren't going outside. If Keeva is crated and I let her out, Blossom also thinks, "OMG TIME TO GO OUTSIDE. I BETTER SPIN AND CRY!" because I guess she associates dogs being let out of crates meaning we go outside, probably because that's what happens when I get home from work.
Mia does both of those. But she knows which ones are my work shoes and doesn't get excited about that. But my knock around the house shoes? Oh oh oh we are going to the PARK. Every time. At my dad's house if his dogs are kenneled and mine out, I can't let the others out without Mia screeching and running back and forth to the door. Then Summer starts doing loops around the couch. But Summer's kind of a follower, if Mia gets excited Summer figures she probably should too.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:19 AM
Owned by Belgians

I like the phrase "cat-like dogs". Though, really, cats are evil.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
If there is an open crate anywhere, like in the middle of the room, would she still pick that spot? My dogs are pretty spot specific unless I point at a different crate, it's just a creature of habit thing but also something I trained in so that even when I took down crates I could point to their area and they would lay down and settle.
I tried this the other day when we were staying at a friend's house, asked Zuma to find her crate and she would run into any open crate both in the house and at the person's indoor training space. Zuma is smart. Zinga is smart, but lacks impulse control so it makes her seem pretty dumb at times.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 03-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
*shrug* No doubt. It wasn't about one being better than the other, just a comparison of the different ways in which dogs can be "smart".

Old 03-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Big Dog

I don't really like rating dog (or people). Smart depends on your definition of smart or the situation.

My Greyhounds are smart, but they aren't going to be as easy to train in obedience and perform like a Doberman would.

Dogos I find to be highly intelligent, but can be difficult for some people to train b/c it can be hard to keep their attention as they get bored with basic stuff. I had one female, that figured out to open doors, she could get up and turn the water on in the sink for a drink (or play in the tub), open the fridge and help herself. And one of the things that impressed me the most was with the trash can. We had a big outdoor trashcan and I came home and she had dumped it over and rummaged thru it. I was not happy and bitched and complained the entire time cleaning it up. She watched me and I pointed to the can and said I better never see tipped over again. Ok- like she really knew what I was talking about, plus she was deaf- so I know she didn't understand the words, just body language.

I come home the next day and there is patio chair beside the trash can and the lid is flipped back, but the can is upright. No trash on the ground. So I close the lid and put the chair back. My neighbor comes running over. She said I wouldn't believe what happened. Bianca had grabbed the chair, drug it over to the trash can, got up in it, flipped it open and got what she wanted out and went on her way. But she didn't knock the can over!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:45 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Puh

I dont care what they say ... the ACD is smartest (ass :P ) dog of them all