Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Owned by Belgians

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WelshStump~ View Post
"Reserved" is how I would put the one I met, once introduced he was a really great dog!
Yep, I think that's pretty typical, though some love attention.

Quote:
I did seriously look into them though, but due to their still rarity at the time, and the fact I was actually told it would have been cheaper even for me to fly over to France and bring one back than what they were charging over here, and that they were also at the time still not AKC registered (I wanted to compete, and that's pretty much THE dominate registry for competition here), I let the idea float away.
They are definitely showing a lot in AKC. They are in Miscellaneous now, but I figure with the dedication I've been seeing, they'll be in Herding Group soon enough.

I don't know what the price is these days. Usually when a breed is very rare in the US, they will be expensive. I remember a Podengo Pequeno breeder wanting $2,500 for a puppy, but in Portugal you can get one for $600. (I know a guy in Portugal who is a Laekenois breeder and used to breed PP. ) Seems like they do a lot of herding, also.

The only thing I don't like about the BP is the ears. No offence, but they are quite large.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPuppy View Post
Yep, I think that's pretty typical, though some love attention.

They are definitely showing a lot in AKC. They are in Miscellaneous now, but I figure with the dedication I've been seeing, they'll be in Herding Group soon enough.

I don't know what the price is these days. Usually when a breed is very rare in the US, they will be expensive. I remember a Podengo Pequeno breeder wanting $2,500 for a puppy, but in Portugal you can get one for $600. (I know a guy in Portugal who is a Laekenois breeder and used to breed PP. ) Seems like they do a lot of herding, also.

The only thing I don't like about the BP is the ears. No offence, but they are quite large.
I think their popularity since I looked back then has risen very fast, and it seems many of the breed in AKC FSS service have been encouraged to push along into a group by the AKC (more than likely because of their loss of revenue else where). I don't regret going with a Beauceron, she get's muddy enough! lol

And see, I personally really LOVE the big ears! I think they have so much personality !
Old 03-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:

And see, I personally really LOVE the big ears! I think they have so much personality !
This. God I love their ears so much!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Top Dog

Big ears? That's one of the things I love about them lol!
Old 03-29-2013, 05:47 PM
Owned by Belgians

Quote:
and it seems many of the breed in AKC FSS service have been encouraged to push along into a group by the AKC (more than likely because of their loss of revenue else where).

Actually, the AKC has changed it's criteria for moving breeds up. It is much more difficult now requiring many more members in a breed club, and at least double the # of registered dog that was required in the past. This went into effect last year.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:25 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPuppy View Post
Actually, the AKC has changed it's criteria for moving breeds up. It is much more difficult now requiring many more members in a breed club, and at least double the # of registered dog that was required in the past. This went into effect last year.
That's interesting. I think I must have skipped over reading that part somewhere, probably because I was fuming over their decision to raise the foreign registration fee from $50, to $100! So it doesn't look like I'll be importing anymore dogs any time soon .
Old 04-03-2013, 06:37 AM
Owned by Belgians

The Seattle KC interviewed a BP owner at a recent dog show.

http://www.seattledogshow.org/they-m...our-attention/