Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Big Dog

I would second a Border Terrier. Pretty cool little dogs.

Every Mini Schnauzer I've known has been a barker and a scrapper with other dogs. My Uncle's girlfriend had one, Smitty who barked so much she ended up getting his vocal cords cut, but he could still bark. They thought they hadn't cut a cord completely and did another surgery, but the little rascal could still bark, just more muffled.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Top Dog

what about something like a Maltese? Maybe the shedding is too much. Someone on here had real scrappy, water loving Maltese

Or Rat Terrier?

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 03-26-2013, 06:32 PM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
Grooming in terms of... taking to a groomer. I don't mind brushing or seasonal fluff (winter coat coming off as spring approaches) but much more than that would be too much. Maybe needs a grooming twice-three times a year? (Like the fancy poodle cuts, that's a no go.) Plus, I like 'natural' coats, if that makes sense. Not fond of shaving.
Schnauzers and Poodles are pretty much out of the question then in terms of grooming requirements. Poodles should be groomed regularly every 6 weeks or so. You can keep them in a short kennel clip, but that still requires a professional groomer unless you have the time and patience to learn to do it properly yourself. Schnauzers should be stripped, though a lot of pet people get them clipped (and that effectively ruins the coat) and either way that's done on a regular basis as well, and they usually also need their ear hair pulled or they tend to get nasty infections.

Borders are cool little dogs but they also should be hand stripped. scroll most of the way down on this page: http://www.wimberway.com/borter.html
Old 03-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
what about something like a Maltese? Maybe the shedding is too much. Someone on here had real scrappy, water loving Maltese

Or Rat Terrier?

I figured the grooming for something like a Maltese would be intense. Or is that just the 'fancy' ones? I like several other breeds but I thought the grooming/shedding would be too much to handle. (Westies, Poodles, Sheltie and now I guess Scotties and Mini Schnauzers...)

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp
Old 03-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Top Dog

Italian Greyhound. Yes. Quiet, not DR, no grooming (needs a coat in the winter).

I love Cavaliers. Well bred, health tested for heart problems is important in this breed. I've met one Manchester Terrier that I LOVE, he seems like a great dog. Might be a loud breed though.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Top Dog

I love Iggies but I was worried about the breed being so fragile. Gwen has an Iggie friend she LOVES to play with. But I know her owner doesn't take her out in the winter because it's too cold and has to put sunscreen on her in the summer.

And I imagine they'd be a rarer breed?

I love these breeds, just want to make sure it's a good fit.

Sorry so I'm so difficult, guys. (On a positive note, BF likes the Border Terrier!)

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp
Old 03-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Mountain Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
I love Iggies but I was worried about the breed being so fragile. Gwen has an Iggie friend she LOVES to play with. But I know her owner doesn't take her out in the winter because it's too cold and has to put sunscreen on her in the summer.
IGs are a breed that we talk about a lot in vet school... a significant portion of the radiographs they show us in class of limb fractures are from IGs (in at least one of those cases, the dog broke both his radius and ulna just by jumping off of a sofa!)

I'm going to echo a bunch of other people and suggest a rescue dog currently living in a foster home with other dogs. You might be able to find a really interesting mix!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:05 PM
Top Dog

Getting a puppy will INCREASE your chances of dealing with DA.

Getting an adult rescue, you pretty much know how their temperament will be. Getting a puppy, you don't really know...from a breeder, you can stack the odds in your favor but getting from non-DA lines and choosing one with a temperament that doesn't usually predict any DA, but most of the time dogs with DA start showing it at sexual maturity, and you can't definitely predict which puppies that will happen in.

An adult dog, most of the time you know whether they like other dogs or not.

Schnauzers are not very good dog park dogs, in my experience. A cocker spaniel might be better. Or a cavalier, but they are considered a "heartbreak" breed, lots of health issues.

Maltese don't shed, really? All dogs shed, but they don't shed fur like other dogs...I'd consider them about as non-shedding as a poodle. I think a shih-tzu fits your description EXCEPT for the grooming. I guess they're considered a brachy breed but they aren't like pugs or frenchies.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Taxiderpy

Beagle? They pretty much hit everything on your list except the barking, and that can be trained. There are four beagles in the condos on our street. You can hear them when they bark, but they're so well trained they only really let loose and bark once or twice a week. And that's usually because the yard work guys are going around.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Top Dog

sorry the reason I asked was because non-shedding and low grooming don't really go hand in hand, LOL. If they don't shed they need constant grooming, weekly brushing at the very very least, and that's with a short coat.

I think I would look at a rescue as well, find a dog with the qualities that you want the most.