Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Top Dog

Question Here We Go Again!

So... I thought I wanted a Miniature Schnauzer, and they are still a possible breed, but I would like to see what you think. AdrianneIsabel prompted this thread, since she brought up a few other breeds that might better suit me. (Thanks, Adrianne!)

I want the following:

Under 25lbs
Not very vocal/limited barking
Off switch
Little/no shedding
Doesn't need groomed often
Doesn't need 'clothes' (A winter coat is fine but I live in a very... interesting climate and I'm not a big doggie clothes fan. Bandannas are fine and welcome, though!)
No brachy breeds
Not fragile (Gwen likes to play rough)
Nothing too 'designer' or 'girly' (it's going to be a male and I just feel weird having a male dog being prettier than my Gwen )
Something easy to find (I prefer to have a breeder near me ((within 6 hours)) and that might rule out some suitable breeds)
Doesn't have to be athletic but swimming is a huge plus
Playful (I already have a VERY reserved dog, I would like a more friendly dog. Not to the extent of a lab, but something a bit more "Hi!")
Not known for being DR, DA (We like to go to the dog park!)

I'm really just looking for a dog that will bring Gwen out of her shell and make her not be a spoiled brat. We like to go to parks and lake in the summer but we are not really 'outdoorsy' people. A dog that would be fine with a couple of walks and some snuggle time.

While I would like to keep my price down, I understand that it's difficult if not impossible to find a 'good' breeder that sells puppies anywhere near $200. I am willing to pay more, but it would be awesome if the breeder has a payment plan of sorts. (I can afford the dog, just a bit of sticker shock and I don't want my boyfriend to leave me )

My top breeds currently: Mini Schnauzer, Cocker Spaniel (unsure of the type yet, need more information on them) and perhaps Mini Poodles. I also like several terrier breeds.

I appreciate all of the information and help that I've gotten so far. I REALLY want to get the 'right' dog and this is all so new to me. Bear with me

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/
Old 03-26-2013, 02:40 PM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

I honestly can't think of any breed that meets all of those requirements. Actually...if you absolutely do not want to chance a DR/DA dog I would stay away from pretty much all terriers, including the Mini Schnauzer (that also needs frequent grooming, and can be pretty vocal).
Old 03-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Top Dog

Wow. I didn't realize I set my standards so high. I guess I was hoping that getting a puppy (as opposed to an adult) would help limit the DA/DR. Does that not matter at all?

I don't mind barking for a reason but just yip yapping, I don't like. And I live in an apartment so I doubt my neighbors would like that.

Maybe I don't know what I want? I like Gwen, I just wish she was less reserved and I also want a smaller dog. (She averages about 30-35 lbs.)

Maybe a shelter pup is more realistic for me.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I still say Border terrier or a nice field cocker. They're not super easy to find but workable with some effort. I'll keep thinking though.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post

Honestly? Why not just go and look. Meet a few dogs, talk to people who have fosters who can tell you what the dog is like to live with.

You can't eliminate things by getting a breeder bred puppy. But you can have a good idea of knowing what you're getting in the dog has already lived with someone for a small while.

And you can pick, any shape, size or colour!!

It doesn't sound like you're really set on any breed... So why not expand your horizons a bit?
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 03-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Top Dog

Nothing jumps out at me as a suggestion, but I will say that in my experience, Mini Schnauzers are some of the worst barkers. I've known one that was very reasonable, and the other four or five I've known were horrible. I know it is partially a training thing, but since you specifically mention wanting a quiet dog, I figured I'm mention it.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:16 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post

Honestly, I'd go with a shelter/rescue dog that is living in a foster home with other dogs.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-26-2013, 04:57 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Honestly, I'd go with a shelter/rescue dog that is living in a foster home with other dogs.
This

The breeds you listed go against your own wish list Cockers, Schnauzers and mini poodles all require a good amount of grooming.

And I can honestly say that if youre going to go with a breeder that sells puppies for $200 or less, the possibility of getting a DR (or even HR) am cocker is definitely there. Possibly even fragile or health problems. I can speak for the other breeds with certainly, but I'd assume that'd be true for them as well.

But, if your requirements were a little more lax, I would say a nice rescue cocker would be a nice fit for some of these things! one whos been evaluated and in a home so they know their temperament and how they react to people/places/animals and other things. And I have rescue connections if your interested, PM me!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 03-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Top Dog

Can you clarify little to no shedding and doesn't require lots of grooming for me? Do you want a coat like a Min Pin, sheds little hairs all the time, but not to an excessive amount but it doesn't need to be combed, like ever, or doesn't shed at all, but requires being shaved or combed out every day or so?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Top Dog

Well, honestly, my qualifications are vague (and maybe unrealistic) because I haven't had many dogs and just recently became interested in dog stuff

Shedding as in... I don't get a handful of fur every time I pet the dog. I also have allergies (just minimal and I suffer through them anyway) so it would be nice to get a breed known for being good for allergy suffers.

Grooming in terms of... taking to a groomer. I don't mind brushing or seasonal fluff (winter coat coming off as spring approaches) but much more than that would be too much. Maybe needs a grooming twice-three times a year? (Like the fancy poodle cuts, that's a no go.) Plus, I like 'natural' coats, if that makes sense. Not fond of shaving.

I think I was a bit too vague on my requirements and that's leading to confusion. Small, family pet. Likes to play, isn't TOO obnoxious.

Did that help at all?