Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-25-2013, 10:18 AM
I'm All Ears

I have been around quite a few of both and I greatly prefer Cardis. I think part of the reason though is they're less common so the ones I know are all sports dogs. More of the pemmies are pets.

To me he pemmies are cattle dog esque and the Cardis are shepherd esque. The Cardis are happy dogs with some drive. Very willing little sports dogs but not super fast. I'm sure some could be but a lot are very heavy. I see more pemmies that are fast comparatively but both breeds are somewhat slowed down as sports dogs ime due to the shorter legs. Not saying you don't see them doing well in sport, you really do but the short legs can be a hindrance depending. pemmies seem a little sharper to me and very vocal.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by joce View Post

Would never describe them as labish ever!

Hair is my issue. I have had a lot of dogs and even a husky but nothing compares to that corgi shed

There is a big show here every year that has a big corgi base and the cardis seem to be more relaxed to me. Almost bought the cutest one a couple years ago and now I won't let myself go!
*shrug* could be the ones I knew were more Labby in temperament - super outgoing, happy, friendly, just nice little pet dogs. I don't know any personally in working homes so perhaps that is why.

Eden sheds more than any dog I've ever owned. No matter the size. The most hair EVER.

I don't know if I can compare the Pems I know with my Cardis since it seems the Pems I know are different than the norm but in general, my Cardis are more relaxed in public and not as demanding go-go-go BUT they are drivey. Eden has INTENSE prey drive and has killed and eaten small critters and Poppy has a more serious, guardy side to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I have been around quite a few of both and I greatly prefer Cardis. I think part of the reason though is they're less common so the ones I know are all sports dogs. More of the pemmies are pets.

Very willing little sports dogs but not super fast. I'm sure some could be but a lot are very heavy.

Not saying you don't see them doing well in sport, you really do but the short legs can be a hindrance depending. pemmies seem a little sharper to me and very vocal.
I don't know any Cardis as pets, only working/sports dogs so my familiarity with the breed is in those venues (herding mostly, then agility, a few in flyball etc).

Yup, Eden running at her fastest is barely fast enough to get under time for AKC Open agility - and that is when she is clean as clean can be as well. She is running as fast as she can, but she's just not fast LOL She can run 6 miles though with me at a decent clip and pull the whole time. We get snarky comments almost every time we bring the girls to sporting events where there are other Cardis - about how they are too skinny and Cardis are not meant to be that skinny etc.

Eden is a pretty fun little sports dog because she's slow - it allows us a lot of clean runs and to be very successful - we even place since her height class is usually much smaller than some of the others (like BC heights).

Cardis are WAY vocal as well. WAY. Barking is a way of life in this household with all of these herders and the girls are the loudest in general.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Lord Cynical

See, I've seen the opposite - the cardis I know around here (performance included) are more "labby" than the pems. They're also a bit faster in Agility, but that might be because of the tail.

Revy catches birds from the sky, she's a critter killer through and through. The pems I know are "on" all the time, very go-go-go and very intense little monsters.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 03-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Top Dog

All I have to add to this is that I know some kicka** cardis in agility (one of which we trialed with this weekend) and I know some kicka** pembrokes in agility (one of which just went through my weave class and I might have attempted to steal her once).

My boss has one of each. The cardi barks a lot. The pembroke didn't used to (he was a foster failure) but now does. The snarkiness and barking is really something to get used to.

ETA: These dogs aren't just "fast for a corgi" they are fast. Competitively fast in USDAA.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post

ETA: These dogs aren't just "fast for a corgi" they are fast. Competitively fast in USDAA.
I'm wondering if we're thinking of the same dogs... I've seen some hella-fast corgis, cardis and pems both!

Old 03-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Lord Cynical

PS - on barking - there's a reason why Revy's name around here is REVY-SHUT-UP!

Old 03-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I have nothing to add except corgis (of either variety) are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more popular abroad.

I'm not even sure if I have even MET a corgi in real life.

Eta. I just asked the other half if he's met any, and he said years ago. Considering we are in Wales, you don't see any.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 03-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Top Dog

I've never met a well-bred corgi, but most of the byb pemmies I've met have been right terrors...if I had to pick a dog NOT to get from a byb, pembroke welsh corgi might be #1 on that list.

The rescue corgi mixes I know are pretty nice, but really high energy.

Never knew a cardi.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

I can only speak for Cardigans, but:

They bark. A LOT. Keeva is not a "spook/bark at every little noise" dog, but she absolutely barks if people approach/pass our house. She has a huge bark for her size too.

They also bark when playing and when excited. Keeva runs circles around me, wiggling and barking, to welcome me home from work.

You need to be ok with barking to own a corgi, for sure. Some are quiet but many are not. They also like to grrr and growl, which can be pretty entertaining sometimes.

You can expect a lot of cattle dog traits out of a well-bred corgi of either breed. That includes some degree of guardiness, possible dog reactivity, motion reactivity, a desire to control the movement of other animals, etc.

Being dog snarky, pushy, etc is pretty common, but rarely are they so dog reactive/aggressive/same sex aggressive that they can't manage to get along with household dogs. So bossiness, some resource guarding, etc, is normal, but out and out dog aggression is not.

You absolutely need to make inquiries about temperament, big time. As others have said they are strong-natured dogs and that can go sour quickly. My Cardi is not HA at all, really. She does guard the house and such but I don't worry about her at the vets, and she's never shown aggression towards me or my family at all. She's snarky and bossy as all hell with other dogs but has never truly fought with or hurt one - though I believe she would if pushed, so I don't let her get pushed.

Keeva actually doesn't shed THAT much, it's like... less than a GSD but more than my Mal? She has a proper coat per the standard (double coated with a ruff and thick pants, fox-brush tail) but she's closer/slicker coated than is popular in the show ring, so that could be why she doesn't shed too badly. I know Pems (and some Cardis) who shed like crazy. Her coat is delightfully self-cleaning and all weather. She never gets cold and handles heat just fine.

I don't brush her often, maybe like once a week with a rubber curry comb. I do bathe and blow her out with a forced air dryer every 4-6 wks, which IME helps the shedding enormously. IMO the trade off for the shedding is the complete lack of matts, resistance to burrs/stickers, weather proofing, and general ease of care. Although expect that you will be wiping that little belly off a lot, lol.

You need a very good sense of humor to own a corgi of any breed, LMAO. They are... enormously clever and comical. Keeva is wicked smart and very much a thinker, compared to my Mal who gleefully does what I ask her to just because. She's the kind of dog you can see weighing options constantly, lol. She also makes me laugh everyday, with her enormous ego and sassy attitude (and hilarious nubby legs). She likes to take whatever she's chewing on and "throw" it, and then pounce and act like she can't quite grab it, then bark, then zoom, then pounce on it again. LOL Hilarious little dog.

We call them Bad Short Dogs for a reason. If you like the sound of that, a corgi might be for you.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
I can only speak for Cardigans, but:

They bark. A LOT. Keeva is not a "spook/bark at every little noise" dog, but she absolutely barks if people approach/pass our house. She has a huge bark for her size too.

They also bark when playing and when excited. Keeva runs circles around me, wiggling and barking, to welcome me home from work.

You need to be ok with barking to own a corgi, for sure. Some are quiet but many are not. They also like to grrr and growl, which can be pretty entertaining sometimes.

You can expect a lot of cattle dog traits out of a well-bred corgi of either breed. That includes some degree of guardiness, possible dog reactivity, motion reactivity, a desire to control the movement of other animals, etc.

Being dog snarky, pushy, etc is pretty common, but rarely are they so dog reactive/aggressive/same sex aggressive that they can't manage to get along with household dogs. So bossiness, some resource guarding, etc, is normal, but out and out dog aggression is not.

You absolutely need to make inquiries about temperament, big time. As others have said they are strong-natured dogs and that can go sour quickly. My Cardi is not HA at all, really. She does guard the house and such but I don't worry about her at the vets, and she's never shown aggression towards me or my family at all. She's snarky and bossy as all hell with other dogs but has never truly fought with or hurt one - though I believe she would if pushed, so I don't let her get pushed.

Keeva actually doesn't shed THAT much, it's like... less than a GSD but more than my Mal? She has a proper coat per the standard (double coated with a ruff and thick pants, fox-brush tail) but she's closer/slicker coated than is popular in the show ring, so that could be why she doesn't shed too badly. I know Pems (and some Cardis) who shed like crazy. Her coat is delightfully self-cleaning and all weather. She never gets cold and handles heat just fine.

I don't brush her often, maybe like once a week with a rubber curry comb. I do bathe and blow her out with a forced air dryer every 4-6 wks, which IME helps the shedding enormously. IMO the trade off for the shedding is the complete lack of matts, resistance to burrs/stickers, weather proofing, and general ease of care. Although expect that you will be wiping that little belly off a lot, lol.

You need a very good sense of humor to own a corgi of any breed, LMAO. They are... enormously clever and comical. Keeva is wicked smart and very much a thinker, compared to my Mal who gleefully does what I ask her to just because. She's the kind of dog you can see weighing options constantly, lol. She also makes me laugh everyday, with her enormous ego and sassy attitude (and hilarious nubby legs). She likes to take whatever she's chewing on and "throw" it, and then pounce and act like she can't quite grab it, then bark, then zoom, then pounce on it again. LOL Hilarious little dog.

We call them Bad Short Dogs for a reason. If you like the sound of that, a corgi might be for you.
Such an excellent description and everything fits at least one, if not both, of our girls.