Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-24-2013, 09:14 PM
Obey the Toad.

Default On the Topic of Frenchies....

I didn't want to hijack the other frenchie thread, but it reminded me of how taken I was with frenchies when I saw them at a large dog show I Chicago last month. I friend of mine has one that she adores, but I was looking to hear about other people's experiences with them. How are they with strangers? Other dogs? Other pets? What are they like to be around in general? Do you ever see any in performance type events?

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:30 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
I didn't want to hijack the other frenchie thread, but it reminded me of how taken I was with frenchies when I saw them at a large dog show I Chicago last month. I friend of mine has one that she adores, but I was looking to hear about other people's experiences with them. How are they with strangers? Other dogs? Other pets? What are they like to be around in general? Do you ever see any in performance type events?
Frenchies are my favorite dogs to walk and one of my favorite breeds because of the many I have met being a dog walker.
A shameless photo op for my frenchie crew/Merlin's best friends!

They are awesome little dogs.
Never met a stranger.
Great with other dogs but ESPECIALLY other frenchies.
Seem to be fine with cats and other pets, the prey drive is pretty nill.

In general they are sweet, funny, sometimes stubborn, snorty, fun, crazy, tug crazy, wiggly little guys. Just little clowns really lol very food driven and always looking to make people laugh.

We call them little linebackers because even though they are small they are STRONG! I am EASILY dragged by 2 of them down the sidewalk. Picking them up takes getting used to because they are top heavy and SOLID.

My crew is pretty athletic. They keep up with Merlin with ease and I could easily imagine them playing some kind of sport and enjoying it
They are really GO GO GO once they are ready but once home, such bed bugs lol they like to sleep in and frenchie yoga is so serious.
I mean it.
DO NOT try to rush a frenchie to go outside before their stretching time

They party really hard and party like NUTS with Merlin for 2-3 hours some days but yea, go home and CRASH.

They are great little dogs IMO. What I would pick if I was going for a small breed

Only real downside for me is the snorting, the snoring. Comes with the smooshy face territory really lol some more-so than others, in this group we have one larger frenchie (the black one being kissed) with the longer muzzle and he doesn't snort much at all but the little guy kissing him is a little pig

Generally just fun, funny dogs to be around IMO
Old 03-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Frans description is pretty spot on from the Frenchies we've met.
There was one once in Tsuki's beginner agility class and she was a drivey, smart little thing.

They are high up on my "will someday own" list.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:34 PM
Top Dog

I have nothing to add to this, but I love seeing the pictures Fran puts up on FB of 'her' Frenchies. They look like such fun little dogs.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 03-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Top Dog

Lots of fun, great little personalities. I've seen some DA, but less than other bulldog breeds. A lot of other dogs seem a bit taken aback by their snortiness and piglet-y ways...they're definitely tough little things and I think sometimes other dogs are honestly not quite sure they are in fact dogs at all, which can lead to some scuffles.

Back problems are common in the breed, and I've seen lots of byb frenchies with long backs, which doesn't help. Aside from breathing/allergy issues (which in my experience aren't as bad as English bulldogs or pugs), they seem pretty healthy. They run around and breathe fine (albeit nosily) in cool weather, heat is a concern for some with very flat faces.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-24-2013, 10:10 PM
Silence, peasants.

I've met quite a few from taking Wesley to the beach. Someone that goes pretty regularly has three brindle frenchies, it was adorable. I love the toaddogs, they are one of my favorite breeds, I totally want to own one some day. All the ones I've met have been super sweet and kept up pretty well with Mr. Longlegs, really nice temperaments, and just cool little dogs. Seems like they make awesome companions.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 03-24-2013, 10:18 PM
Top Dog

I like Frenchies too!

In addition to the fun stuff about them, I think their one downside is is like..DA/Interhousehold aggression. I've seen several that are jerks, especially to each other or other bulldogs. They have that bulldog tenacity!

Old 03-25-2013, 01:21 AM
Top Dog

I love the Frenchies!

The description of their temperament you've been given is pretty good. I have seen or heard of the occasional one in agility (the only one I actually saw in the flesh was hilarious. Zippy fast, but he did not want to stop on the table!), I know one locally that has a UD.

The one thing I'll comment on them is that there are apparently a lot of French Bulldogs imported into this country from Eastern European puppy mills, and they do not always have typical Frenchie temperament. Frenchies in rescues, unfortunately, tend to be those dogs. So if I was looking for one from a rescue, I'd be very careful about getting an accurate evaluation of the temperament. Or just buy a pup from a responsible show breeder, which will come with the typical Frenchie temperament. (which is the reason to own them.)
Old 03-26-2013, 07:33 AM
Puppy Dog

I have friends in Germany with frenchies and they used to play so well with my crazy pbgv pup when I lived there. Very sweet dogs with people and animals. I would get one in a heart beat if I didn't live in such a warm climate...
Old 03-26-2013, 07:47 AM
& the Muttly Crew

There are a couple that do agility here, on in particular that is in masters and may have a MACH...I can't remember. He seems sweet and is pretty darn fast though he has issues on tight turns and stopping momentum because he's so very front-heavy. Fran's description of a linebacker is right on. Despite being a very fit Frenchie, he is breathing hard when he walks off a course and takes longer to return to normal. He also simply isn't competed when it's going to be hot out. His jumping style is rather bizarre. Effective, but bizarre.

I've never seen him be anything other than good in the crowded company of other dogs and people. Seems like a good-natured soul.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13