Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-24-2013, 12:26 AM
Uffda!

Neither of my bostons are well bred. Joey can take the heat a lot better than Lucy. He rarely pants and can go all day. Lucy has a lot of energy but she doesn't handle heat well. Her face is a bit shorter than Joey's, but I'm really not sure why the heat is harder on her. Personally I prefer the look of a longer snout, but you might need to go to a rescue to find it. There some breeders of colored bostons that are getting into health testing. From what I have seen they tend to have a longer snout than the typical show version, but there is also a lot of controversy about breeding faulted colors.

"The great secret, Eliza, is not having bad manners or good manners or any other particular sort of manners, but having the same manner for all human souls: in short, behaving as if you were in Heaven, where there are no third-class carriages, and one soul is as good as another." George Bernard Shaw Pygmalion
Old 03-24-2013, 12:33 AM
Will Creep For Sheep

Interesting, when my sister was looking into Bostons and Frenchies we found several great breeders who did all the health testing, and had dogs who did conformation, but also agility, flyball, etc. They still had fairly short faces, but their dogs had high level agility titles... so I'm wondering how that would be considered lacking function?

I get that everyone loves to hate on show breeders, but if you look past the top winning dogs, you can find some really fantastic breeders who breed dogs who are highly fit for function but also show quality.

I think a huge reason so many brachycephalic breeds have issues breathing is entirely based on their weight. My sister has a Pug named Zoe who was horribly overweight when they bought her- and had the typical Pug breathing problems. When she took the weight off of Zoe, she was incredibly athletic and energetic- and the breathing problems were completely gone. I think the reason show dogs are so targeted for breathing issues is because they are kept so overweight in the ring (this is true for all breeds, not just brachy breeds).

JMO. I think if you really dug deep, you could find the perfect athletic Frenchie without going to some random BYB.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 03-24-2013, 12:36 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post
Interesting, when my sister was looking into Bostons and Frenchies we found several great breeders who did all the health testing, and had dogs who did conformation, but also agility, flyball, etc. They still had fairly short faces, but their dogs had high level agility titles... so I'm wondering how that would be considered lacking function?

I get that everyone loves to hate on show breeders, but if you look past the top winning dogs, you can find some really fantastic breeders who breed dogs who are highly fit for function but also show quality.

I think a huge reason so many brachycephalic breeds have issues breathing is entirely based on their weight. My sister has a Pug named Zoe who was horribly overweight when they bought her- and had the typical Pug breathing problems. When she took the weight off of Zoe, she was incredibly athletic and energetic- and the breathing problems were completely gone. I think the reason show dogs are so targeted for breathing issues is because they are kept so overweight in the ring (this is true for all breeds, not just brachy breeds).

JMO. I think if you really dug deep, you could find the perfect athletic Frenchie without going to some random BYB.
This. Many brachycephalic dogs that are extremely active around here.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-24-2013, 12:59 AM
Top Dog

I have no idea what Nog's breeding is, but his head/muzzle seems to standard. That is, flat. The breed is a bit different in that their noses are a bit upturned, rather than so pushed in. But still, completely flat. He has no skin folds to worry about. He's a very active little dog, though. His breathing is silent. Goose, who has a muzzle, is a huge snorer. Nog is a silent sleeper. He runs. A lot. We live in Arizona and he has no issues getting out and about year round. He routinely jumps our baby gates for fun. Two and a half feet doesn't seem like a lot, but he's only 7 lbs on a good day and he jumps it from a standing position. So, not all pushy faced dogs are incapable of activity.

I do think weight has a lot to do with it as well, in regards to Pugs, Bostons and the like. They aren't meant to look like loaves of bread
Old 03-24-2013, 01:09 AM
Top Dog

I'd love to find someone breeding peke's that can do agility--that would be awesome. The couple of show breeders I've talked to indicated that their dogs have to be kept inside when it's hot out for fear of overheating and dying, which made them sound a lot more sensitive than Venus was. Being told that the dog can't go outside at all in the summer didn't make them sound like the kind of dog she was.

I didn't mean to sound like I was hating on show breeders, just that the (very very few) I've talked to about pekes seemed to think that Venus wasn't what a pekingese is, and so it would be hard to find one like her. Kind of an if you want to hike ten miles with the dog, why are you looking at a peke kind of thing? I don't know if that makes sense or not.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:14 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
they are kept so overweight in the ring (this is true for all breeds, not just brachy breeds).
That is not true for ALL breeds. The collie breed standard actually specifically states that the dogs should NOT be fat. There are plenty, PLENTY of other breeds I've seen in the ring that are also not even close to fat.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:26 AM
Will Creep For Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
That is not true for ALL breeds. The collie breed standard actually specifically states that the dogs should NOT be fat. There are plenty, PLENTY of other breeds I've seen in the ring that are also not even close to fat.
Oh, the BC standard says they're supposed to be athletic too :P Most of the dogs in the ring are very overweight. I just see it in so many breeds.

Pekes are honestly pretty messed up. Their structure is totally messed up... they really don't do anything other than show. They are great at their original purpose (lap sitting), but that's about it. I don't really know what to say about that.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 03-24-2013, 01:44 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Oh, the BC standard says they're supposed to be athletic too :P Most of the dogs in the ring are very overweight. I just see it in so many breeds.
The collie standard doesn't say "athletic," it straight up says not fat and being fat is a fault.

Quote:
Noticeably fat dogs, or dogs in poor flesh, or with skin disease, or with no undercoat are out of condition and are moderately penalized accordingly.

There are certain breed that are kept fat for the ring. But NOT all of them. I'm doing conformation with Logan in 2 weeks, and he is NOT fat by any stretch. If anything he tends to be a tad too thin.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:09 AM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
That is not true for ALL breeds. The collie breed standard actually specifically states that the dogs should NOT be fat.
Yes. Yes it does. And yet...

Old 03-24-2013, 02:10 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
The collie standard doesn't say "athletic," it straight up says not fat and being fat is a fault.

There are certain breed that are kept fat for the ring. But NOT all of them. I'm doing conformation with Logan in 2 weeks, and he is NOT fat by any stretch. If anything he tends to be a tad too thin.
What the standard says and what actually happens are not always the same thing. Most sporting, working, hound & terrier standards say something to the effect of "hard," "fit," or "lean" condition. Most however are fat, but that is because most people (show fanciers included) have no idea what a fit dog looks like.