Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Silence, peasants.

No, not really, I can't think of any dogs I've been afraid of. I've known certain ones were potentially 'dangerous', but not afraid of them, persay. I try to be respectful of a dog's personal space and only let it approach me if it feels like it, and I don't really pet other people's dogs a whole lot, I just admire them. That being said, I really love dogs, *all dogs*. Like, to the point where I'll be riding around in the car talking to someone, and stop mid-sentence when I spot a dog and be like 'LOOKATTHEPRETTYDOG' as if I have just seen a unicorn or something.

Feistea, ze Blog
Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

No fear ever, that I can think of. I am quietly afraid of Malamutes. I've had a lot of bad experiences with them, and even though I know it is irrational and they are giant fluffy babies that nervous feeling gets me every time.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

I am not scared of dogs, but saying that I do have a moment of fear when strange un leashed dogs run up to me and Teagan when we are walking, but I mostly get on the defensive and get ready to scream at it or boot it in the face.

I am not going to lie, but when I am in a dog park and I see a bully dog running around I have a moment of distrust and leave right away.

But If I had a bad experience with a dog like getting attacked or bitten I am sure I would have a fear of strange dogs.

A few years back I was rammed into a wooden fence by a horse and it took me a while to get over my fear of strange horses, I am over that now though.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 03-23-2013, 12:56 AM
Top Dog

I am wary of black labs, I have been bitten by three so I'm not so much a fan. That said all three were owned by asshats, I accept that it was the three different owners faults, but man alive I am just a bit more uneasy around them. They don't keep me out of the dog park, I am just unlikely to pet them.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:47 AM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Ex: my agility class. I've been with these dogs a year now. I know them. Know they're stable dogs and know they have good owners. I think it was very very recently that I've petted all of them. Just not my thing so much. Somehow it feels like an intrusion to me --- makes no sense.
Maybe because that's how Mia feels when people are pushy and try to pet her? It seems like you're very, very in tune with her.

As to the OP, I'm fine with strange dogs for the most part - I'll ask to pet any friendly-looking dog. I've been around enough truly unstable dogs in the past that I'm not 100% trusting.

As far as loose dogs on walks, though. . . no. Not at all. I will fsck your dog up. I had to deal with a loose dog chasing Middie earlier this week, and a husky mix coming up to all three and inciting them to madness and barking last night. DO. NOT. WANT. If I am out and about, especially with my dog, your dog can stay away. If it doesn't, I will verbally correct and then physically correct if necessary. We have been attacked too many times on leash for me to assume that stray dogs are friendly.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:42 AM
Will Creep For Sheep

I do get very protective over my dogs, so if there are other dogs around, I am always a little on edge if I don't know them.

When I'm alone? I am sort of like a little kid with dogs. I have to restrain myself from going "HI PUPPY! I LOVE YOU!". Of course I would never do that- I hate it when people do that to my dogs.. but that is how I feel. I feel that I can understand dog behavior enough to know when there is a risk of being bitten, but I have never been bitten by a dog so that is probably why I don't think about it much.

Especially if I see breeds I love... big fluffy dogs (Leonbergers, Newfies, Pyrs, etc) or some small dogs (pugs, paps, bostons, frenchies, poms) this is me.

I can't control myself.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 03-23-2013, 06:07 AM
Top Dog

I'm very rarely frightened of dogs, but I admit I am wary of GSD's and collies. GSD's just never seem to be well trained and bark and lunge towards me or my dogs, and it does make me wary as they aren't small! Sure most of them are friendly, but I just always make sure I'm on my guard with most of them.

Collies, because the majority are farm 'stock' living in pet homes. Under stimulated and they just can't react normally. There's only one collie I like and that's Freuchie who I look after sometimes, but even he is under stimulated.

My Photos
Old 03-23-2013, 06:44 AM
Kung Pow Fish

I dont find myself *afraid* of others dogs, per se, but I definitely dislike other peoples pets almost instantly, mostly with good reason, because theyre illmannered, overfed, underworked, untrained assholes. dogs AND cats. so I can definitely come off as not an animal lover, but I absolutely AM. Just not jerk animals!
Old 03-23-2013, 06:46 AM
Kung Pow Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post
Okay I take that back. this is totally me if I see a bull breed. boston, frenchie, bull terrier, staffy, pit, etc. i get gooey and hysterical and flail and maul the poor dog. good thing those breeds usually love it!
Old 03-23-2013, 08:04 AM
Top Dog

No, not afraid, but I think people are always suprised with how little I interact with their dogs given how into dogs I am. I always offer a hand for sniffing and then let the dog dictate what happens next. If he wants lovin I'd be more than happy to give it, but most dogs don't want a complete stranger rubbing their hands all over them, so I don't. The dogs owner doesn't usually know anything about dog body language so they just assume I'm the one not interested in their dog.

I do have some nervousness because of how Tucker is. I am always very polite and respectful of any dog that isn't screaming ZOMG I love you!, kneeling sideways, not trying to pet, chatting calmly, no direct eye contact, that sort of thing. But honestly I think everyone should do that, it's called not being rude. I also find at the shelter when walking the dogs I just assume they are all dog reactive even though I have no reason to believe that. Last time I was there I was going to take a puppy outside and there was a family just outside the door. I immediately went to pick up the puppy before realizing it wasn't Tucker so wasn't going to bite anyone and greeting people was probably a good idea for the puppy, especially since he's up for adoption.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!