Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-23-2013, 12:14 AM
Top Dog

Default Next dog breed decided?

This won't be for quite some time, but I think I have decided on what breed of dog I will get next.

A Corgi. I am leaning towards that, but I am also considering an Italian Greyhound.

So, could anybody give me any advice? I know there are a few different breeds of Corgi's... What are they, and what's the main difference between them? If you own them, how to you handle their fur? Those are the specifics, but basically anything you feel I should know before getting a Corgi would be great. Same for IG's.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 03-23-2013, 07:41 AM
Kung Pow Fish

there are only two corgi varities, the Pembroke (no tail) and Cardigan (with tail). im a huge huge huge huge fan of the Cardis, LOVE THEM TO DEATH. and will own one someday. i think theyre the most fantastic perfect dogs ever. get a cardi!!
Old 03-25-2013, 02:57 AM
Top Dog

Gunna bump this, lol.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 03-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Top Dog

Pretty sure there's more difference in the Pembroke and the Cardigan than having a tail.

From what I've researched, I will eventually be getting a Pembroke Corgi. I think they tend to be more friendly and not as reserved as the Card.

"Personality:

The Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club of America (PWCCA) describes the breed's personality as "outgoing, alert, active, and very people-oriented," stressing the corgi's need to be "involved with your family or in some kind of work."

Like other dogs bred for herding livestock the Pembroke Welsh corgi is very "intelligent and trainable, but they are also easily bored and do not do well if confined in the backyard with little human contact." The American Kennel Club (AKC) notes that the Pembroke Welsh corgi "responds well to training,” making the breed "an avid competitor in many dog sports, including conformation, herding and obedience."

Or this link http://www.justdogbreeds.com/pembroke-welsh-corgi.html which says
The Pembroke Welsh Corgi is an intelligent herding breed, yet "Pems," as they are sometimes called, make excellent companions and family dogs as well. They are people-oriented and like to be part of family life. Playful, gentle and friendly, they are great with well-mannered young children, though they might try to herd them by nipping at their heels. The Pembroke Welsh Corgi is so intelligent, and is such a quick learner, that he really needs a job to do. This is why they truly thrive on farms. However, if given the proper amount of exercise (and they need a lot), they can live anywhere. They are a truly versatile breed. While many of them are currently working on farms, there are just as many Pems serving as therapy dogs, and performing in the agility ring. A Pembroke Welsh Corgi is usually very protective, and very vocal, so they make great watchdogs. But be prepared: sometimes they like to bark just to amuse themselves. They love to go for walks, and are naturally curious. They are always eager to explore new sights and smells. They are sensitive and in tune with their humans, very sensitive to their moods, and have been known to try to "cheer up" a sulky owner. In fact, many Pembroke Welsh Corgi owners claim their dog has a great sense of humor. A Pem likes to pretend he is a lapdog. They are agreeable in a household: playful, sensitive, and rarely destructive. They housetrain easily."

I'm not sure if that is great information, since it's just a dog breed info site, but most of what they said matches up with other sites, so it must have some truth to it.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
Pretty sure there's more difference in the Pembroke and the Cardigan than having a tail...
I don't know about personality, but conformation wise, there is- Cardis are a little bigger and heavier boned then Pembrokes and come in a wider range of colors. But, for most people, the easiest way to tell them apart is that the Pembroke's tail broke off.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:08 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
I don't know about personality, but conformation wise, there is- Cardis are a little bigger and heavier boned then Pembrokes and come in a wider range of colors. But, for most people, the easiest way to tell them apart is that the Pembroke's tail broke off.
Cardi temperament is more shepherd like, Pemmie temperament is supposed to be more Lab like. However, Pems are far more popular so there are some terribly nervy, snarky, badly bred ones to be aware of. They're both great breeds if gone through a reputable breeder. I have two Cardis so that is my personal preference.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
Cardi temperament is more shepherd like, Pemmie temperament is supposed to be more Lab like. However, Pems are far more popular so there are some terribly nervy, snarky, badly bred ones to be aware of...
Sadly, that's one more "labby thing" about them.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
Cardi temperament is more shepherd like, Pemmie temperament is supposed to be more Lab like. However, Pems are far more popular so there are some terribly nervy, snarky, badly bred ones to be aware of. They're both great breeds if gone through a reputable breeder. I have two Cardis so that is my personal preference.
I would never compare a Pembroke to a Lab. If anything, they're basically like little cattle dogs. Cattle dogs with chopped off legs.

I have seen more bad Pembroke temperaments than good ones. They're very tough little dogs, and a less than stellar breeder can turn that toughness into a nasty little dog very quickly. Revy's breeder (and co-breeder) consistently produce very good temperaments, especially if you're looking for a high level performance dog. If I was to ever get a corgi again, I'd go back to them.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 03-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I would never call the pems I have worked with "Labby", they're forceful, barky, snarky, and well... cattle dogs. lol I have never dealt with cardis but I've been around a lot of pems, or tailless noisey dictators, as I call them and while most of my labs are forceful and rude there is a clear difference, ime.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Top Dog

Every corgi I have met has been ALL herding dog and all go go go. Gizmo my pem reminds me a lot of blitz our cattle dog personality wise, she just doesn't go as long as he does lol!

Would never describe them as labish ever!

They can be nippy, I know so many females that are bad with other females. See a lot get rehomed because they are not good with kids but this is likely a training thing.

Hair is my issue. I have had a lot of dogs and even a husky but nothing compares to that corgi shed

There is a big show here every year that has a big corgi base and the cardis seem to be more relaxed to me. Almost bought the cutest one a couple years ago and now I won't let myself go!

The husband loves them. He wants a cardi I think as his next dog. He loves blitz and wants some drive but a little less intense. I have to wear him out for him.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber