Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2013, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Yep. Start line stays are overrated.

Pan actually has a very good stay, but she blasts off the line, tries too hard to catch up to me and often knocks the first bar. I figure I'll keep things fun and start with a scruff grab pull and release most of the time.
Be really careful with that - I had a friend get whistled out of the ring when she went to rev her dog up by grabbing at his scruff. The judge considered it a correction, despite her clearly playful attitude (and the dog's lack of worry about it).

Both of my dogs have start lines, and will continue to do so. I need the lead out to get where I want to be more often than not. Sometimes my "lead-out" is about a foot, but I can go across the ring with Meg (maybe with Gusto, I haven't pushed it in a trial). I really wish I had the money to do the "Stays" class at Agility U that starts on Monday, but I'm doing Recallers right now with Gusto, so that's eaten up my agility funds for right now. I'll definitely take it when it comes up again; I'd like more "explosion" from Gusto's releases.