Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-21-2013, 06:10 PM
I'm All Ears

IDK, I find Summer's 'OMG HAI' a lot more annoying than Mia's 'Leave me alone, I don't trust you.'
Old 03-21-2013, 07:36 PM
Top Dog

If I could snap my fingers and have Tucker suddenly transformed into the most obnoxiously friendly dog on the planet I'd do it in a heartbeat. So much worry would be gone.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

I'll go opposite. If I could transform Gambit into a super friendly in your face loves everyone dog, I might have to throttle him. I would probably do it for his sake, so he didn't have to live his life so edgy, but it would make me crazy.

I thought I wanted it until Folly came. She's a lab/ACD and has the temperment of the lab. Friendly, never meets a stranger, gentle, loves the world, happy, happy, happy, and I regularly want to kill her. No one can understand why I'm not adopting her, but that overfriendliness and desperate need for people makes me nuts.

I've had many people tell me to try spaniels, but I don't mesh with them in real life. They fit exactly what I want, but it's just like...no.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Glutton for Crazy

It's a selfish thing really, I like having a dog who clearly prefers me over everyone. Aloof doesn't mean fear or overt aggression, it merely means "meh, you're not my family, no thanks."
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:52 PM
Top Dog

My first dog was aloof to everyone who wasn't me. That was gratifying at the time, but now I'd prefer to have a friendly dog. Though I love my girls, of course, and they haven't been super social with other people.

For people who think they'd rather deal with timid or suspicious than an "OMG HAI" dog, you need to have a dog like my friend's oldest Standard Poodle. He goes right up to everyone, and if you touch him, he bites you. Deal with that, and you'll appreciate the friendly ones a little more.

Pirate really does have the ideal temperament from my standpoint. He loves people, but he generally does not fling himself at strangers. That may partly be training, he's just learned that he doesn't go up to everyone. At dog shows, he tends to be uberfriendly because he assumes everyone is there to meet him. And as I recently discovered, he'll throw himself at any mail carrier, because ours carries dog biscuits. Otherwise, he can walk right by people without much notice, it's when they act like they want to meet him that he plasters himself to them.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:08 AM
The Littlest Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
It's a selfish thing really, I like having a dog who clearly prefers me over everyone. Aloof doesn't mean fear or overt aggression, it merely means "meh, you're not my family, no thanks."
This is my Plotts to a tee and the reason I love them so much.

I'm obsessed with daisy but I'm pretty sure she'd forget me shortly if she went to live elsewhere.

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 03-22-2013, 12:13 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlottMom View Post
This is my Plotts to a tee and the reason I love them so much.

I'm obsessed with daisy but I'm pretty sure she'd forget me shortly if she went to live elsewhere.
She can come live here. <3
Old 03-22-2013, 05:51 AM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
My first dog was aloof to everyone who wasn't me. That was gratifying at the time, but now I'd prefer to have a friendly dog. Though I love my girls, of course, and they haven't been super social with other people.

For people who think they'd rather deal with timid or suspicious than an "OMG HAI" dog, you need to have a dog like my friend's oldest Standard Poodle. He goes right up to everyone, and if you touch him, he bites you. Deal with that, and you'll appreciate the friendly ones a little more.

Pirate really does have the ideal temperament from my standpoint. He loves people, but he generally does not fling himself at strangers. That may partly be training, he's just learned that he doesn't go up to everyone. At dog shows, he tends to be uberfriendly because he assumes everyone is there to meet him. And as I recently discovered, he'll throw himself at any mail carrier, because ours carries dog biscuits. Otherwise, he can walk right by people without much notice, it's when they act like they want to meet him that he plasters himself to them.
Pirate sounds awesome!!

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Top Dog

Here's a random question for everyone:

How much of the "everyone's best friend" do you think is a training/relationship issue with the handler? Anyone who has met Zinga (or even Zuma) knows she's very much everyone's best friend and loves to be in everyone's faces looking for attention. However, through premack work and training, she now will go say hi to a stranger and come straight back to me and offer great focus.

I have never had a dog that even though they loved people and are over the top with greetings, that they prefer the company of another person to that of mine. So I'm curious about that. What training/relationship building has been done with that sort of dog? Are they just a house pet or do they actively engage in training or other activities with their handlers?

This isn't meant to tick any one off, I'm just really curious.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Yep. Nothing at all wrong with an aloof dog. MY GSD Jora was so perfectly aloof, she was awesome. I could take her anywhere and she was totally trustworthy but when strangers tried to interact with her, it was as though she couldn't even see them. They could pet her, hug her or whatever and she was just like "meh". I got asked "Is she shy?" a lot by pet people, which is kind of weird for a dog who's standing there letting you pet them without any sort of fear or resentment. She wasn't shy, she just didn't care if strangers existed or not.

OMG did she love her family and friends though. Once someone was her friend, she never forgot them and would greet them like enthusiastic, silly puppy every time even if she hadn't seen them for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post

Off topic but I'm curious about this dog's history. Did she have him as a puppy? What was he like then? When did he start this behavior?

And I dunno, different personality traits suit different people. Most people who love say GSDs are not people who want "OMG HAI!". If they did, they wouldn't have GSDs. Most people who love Goldens, enjoy gregarious dogs. There really isn't a right or wrong answer for what people should like or appreciate. I can appreciate a lot of different types of dogs.