Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2013, 06:50 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I enjoyed the variety I saw this last weekend. And I do know that most I saw were at the top level of agility for the breed as they were at nationals. But I also met a few that were 'along for the ride'. I'm sure seeing them not at a trial would be better but I did see them just chilling. I saw some fearfulness for sure, but not nearly as much as I was expecting. And not really much more stressiness and fearfulness than I saw in BCs and shelties there too. The one dog I saw REALLY stressing was in a situation I guarantee you would have made Mia stress out in too. And a minute later that same dog was jumping up and saying hi to a decent sized group of people. Some of the sheps weren't as drivey as I personally like but... a lot of the shelties weren't as drivey as I like either. And some of the border collies too.

I met dogs from 4 different breeders. But one thing I realize is IF (big if, I'm still talking to breeders) I do go that direction that being open to rough coats is going to not narrow my options nearly as much. I would rather get a good well rounded dog than a dog that looks the way I like.

funny starting out I only liked the smooths. Now I'm talking to a breeder that has no smooths so getting the look I like isn't even an option if (big if again) I go with said breeder.

Anyways, I'm still in heavy research phase. The breeders I've talked to all seem to present the breed pretty realistically and also are very thorough about who gets their dogs. I wouldn't want a bad fit and I hope they'd let me know if they think it's a bad fit.

I just kept coming back to them for about 6 years now and I wanted to explore the option completely.
FWIW I don't think either of us are trying to talk you out of it lol...just throwing in our perspectives. Or in my case, whining about it lol. As I've said before there are quite a few around here due to my proximity to a producer of them. So they are on my radar. It's just for me, for my priorities, I just think they are too big a risk at this point. That could change, but considering my Next Dog will be my Last Dog for a very long time, I just don't see it happening any time soon. For me. Everyone else should get PyrSheps though so I can get a better idea what's out there

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13