Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Sit! Good dog.

How much more poo will I have to pick up?

Actually, I leave that job to the other half....

How soon can I cuddle it!!!!! Lol.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 03-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Top Dog

I get a good discount working at a vet clinic and buy meat in huge quantities for discounts, so price generally isn't as important of a factor for me (other than initial purchase price). I look at training time. I would so much rather have 2 awesome dogs that excel in the sports they compete in than 5 dogs that do just well in their sports. Quality over quantity.

That's why it was such a big deal to add Zip Tie to our family. I knew I wouldn't have the necessary time to socialize and train him but my husband would. Hence why he's my husband's dog and not mine. Now I do get to play tutor quite often as this is the first dog my husband has ever trained, but the majority of the responsibility lies on him. I've got my hands full with the merle girls.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Top Dog

-How much time a new dog would take away from Lucy
-How my husband feels about it

The answer to #1 is "too much" and #2 is "not thrilled", so we are a one dog household.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I'm really bad about getting a new dog. i constantly worry about what could happen. What if later I don't have the money to take care of it the way I want? What if my other dog hates it? What if I hate or regret having the dog? What if I make the wrong choice on which breed to get? What if I make the wrong choice on which dog from the litter to get? Am I prepared if the dog has aggression issues?

But mostly it comes down to a few things:

- Do I have enough money for the dog, classes, and an extra $50/week for an emergency saving fund?
-Will I beable to care for this dog and my other dog(s) and give each dog the attention/training that they need?
-What do I want to do with this dog?
-Is my boyfriend OK with getting this dog, since we share responsibility? (this is almost always yes. I don't think I'd get any dog if it wasn't for him lol)
Old 03-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Show Dog

I look at big picture stuff first; Can I afford another? Is everyone else in the house ok with the decision? How will it affect the other animals? Do I have the time?

Based on the people I live with and the fact that Pig is so young and hasn't even started her performance/sports career, I opted out of another performance prospect.

Now that actual acquiring of newdog is possibly very close, I'm thinking of less important stuff. Where will a giant crate look/fit best? Exactly which classes do I want to take? Do I need to buy new xpens/gates or will the current ones do? Do I want to start on kibble or put him straight on raw? Should I upgrade to an even bigger water bowl? How about a larger pooper scooper? Should I finally buy a camera? And so on.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Top Dog

My main consideration is having a good bit of savings and a stable, full time job. That way, I don't worry about feeding, training, vetting, grooming the dog, and I can afford daycare or a dog walker if need be.

Then I think about the impact a dog will have on my relationships with BF, family and friends.
I know BF wants to be settled in our house and such before getting a dog, so adding a dog before that is a no-go. He also wants a dog that doesn't shed, or sheds very little, which I prefer as well, so no compromises need to be made there.
I know my family will happily dog sit, but they are not the most dog savvy, so dog would need to be an easy keeper.
I know my friends are fine with dogs, and some would welcome my dog coming over, being a third wheel, etc., so I don't worry about never seeing friends again.

Then I evaluate what I want in a dog, what I don't want in a dog, and if there are any "deal breakers" in terms of behaviours, medical conditions, etc.

Then I go find my perfect dog!
Old 03-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Silence, peasants.

What do you think of when adding a new dog?
My main concern when thinking about whether or not to get a dog is 'do I have the time'. Especially because I'm getting a very demanding breed, I wanted to make sure I could commit.

Do you think about what you want the dog to be able to do?
Well, yes. I want a border collie because I want a dog I can do active things with all day long, and they suit me because of this. I definitely take into consideration what I want, what I need, and what would be a nice perk but not necessary
Do you save x amount of money?
Kind of. Right now I'm working a lot of hours part-time. I want to have a lot of money saved up so I can take a break from working when puppy comes home and devote all that extra time to the puppy, and pay for continuing expenses while not working.

Do you consider how your current pets will get along?
Wesley loves pretty much every dog ever, including border collies that totally ignore him lol. Cleo is old and grumpy, as are the cats, so they will be played LAT with and put on 'look, but don't touch' immediately, just like the small critters. So yes, I do think about that.

Do you take the rest of the people in your household into consideration?
Not really, considering it's my dog. To a certain extent, yes, but when I leave the dog will come with me, and so I'm not going to get a dog breed that everyone loves. Not everyone is a dog lover in my house, and some just tolerate. It'll definitely be an easier time with family members than my sister had with Wesley, everyone has gotten 10x better about dogs.

I'm in a bit of a different situation as I'm not adding a new dog, I'm adding my first dog.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 03-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Top Dog

My biggest concern is the financial one. I am worrier and a planner. I need to be sure I can afford the freak accidents I convince myself are eminent

The current dogs temperaments and quirks are of course important. There are certain personality traits that just wouldn't fly around here!

Time and space are minor. Most of the things I do with my dogs can be done with all of them.
I don't consider other housemates opinions as much as I should. My Mom looks after my dogs when needed so as long as she's okay with it, no one else does anything with my dogs so their agreement isn't needed.

I don't do any sports or take any classes so that isn't an issue.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Top Dog

Time, money, stability... which is why I don't have one.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 03-22-2013, 07:42 AM
Top Dog

If I were looking to add a dog my top priorities would be pack dynamics and time. We have the money and stability to add another dog but I'm not willing to throw the girls into (more) chaos and commit to puppy/training classes with another dog. I'd much rather focus on getting Mu to a competition level in agility (even if we never compete) and on getting the girls to maintain a stable dynamic.

If Matt weren't all for another dog I would never consider it though. Without his help and support I wouldn't have been able to keep both of the girls so there's no way I could just add another dog because *I* want to and leave him out of the decision making.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013