Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-20-2013, 10:09 PM
BusterLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
So true.

Even though I normally prefer a dog that is silly happy with me but aloof with strangers.
This. Quinn is a complete goofball with family and I love that about her but very few other people see that side of her. I also like that to her, work will always be top priority

Old 03-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Obey the Toad.

I've actually found that I love dogs that are "yay life" and are people dogs--love to meet and interact with people with some focus and drive thrown in so that tasks can still be preformed. My ideal dog is a social, confident, happy, drivey, focused with an off switch lab.

I have a bird that is into me and only me and everyone else can go die as far as he's concerned, so I've have my fill of that sort of thing--happy, social, adaptable critters for me from here on out.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
I've actually found that I love dogs that are "yay life" and are people dogs--love to meet and interact with people with some focus and drive thrown in so that tasks can still be preformed. My ideal dog is a social, confident, happy, drivey, focused with an off switch lab.
You'd like my Pirate. That pretty much describes him, except he's not a Lab.

Yeah, I tend to like the outgoing dogs myself. Part of why I wound up with Staffords. Though ironically, the first 3 Staffords I owned weren't all that outgoing. I think Elmo, my first, would have been more outgoing if I weren't his 4th home, I think he was a little clingy because of that. My girls have been willing to meet people who make a little effort, but willing to ignore strangers too. Pirate, OTOH, thinks he's a celebrity.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:10 AM
Top Dog

Irish Setters surprised me when I've met them, they are much more 'air headed' than I expected . I also grew up wanting an Aussie so bad, and the more I meet, the less I really want to live with one. Collies too...I've met some sharp ones for sure, but a lot of them are so mellow, not what I expect.

Breeds that I never expected to like and I'm fighting? Cocker spaniels. I don't know what it is, but I've met a few that just had 'it'.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:26 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I think the only breed I can think of that I use to adore, and sounded great for me, but I can't stand to live with them are Golden Retrievers. They sound great, and a few are, but the majority drive me up a a wall. I literally walk away from them gritting my teeth as I find them to be super off the way, no focus, crazy dogs.

I met one at my job that I absolutely fell head over heels for. They got it from a shelter, the lucky couple, I wanted to steal their dog. lol It was a year old, deep red in color, light feathering to the coat not too fluffy. It was sooo awesome! It was intellegent and friendly without being over the top crazy and pushy like most of them. I was (kinda still am) in love with that dog. If every golden was like that dog I would definitely go for it! Unfortunately, they are not and I can't stand them. Even most of the well behaved ones kinda drive me nutty lol
Old 03-21-2013, 06:29 AM
The Monster.

I used to really covet NSDTRs. My friend has an absolutely wonderful girl who is sort of my model for everything I want Cohen to be, training-wise. I had an opportunity to get a pup from this same breeder (well respected working/sport breeder) but ultimately had to pass. There's just something about the retriever personality that doesn't quite gel with me.

Whippets are another breed that I've been infatuated with for a while. (The long haired ones in particular.) However after seeing friends working their whippets in agility & flyball I realize I don't have that kind of patience. Even the drivey ones are kind of flighty and emotionally fragile. I don't think they'd be a good fit for me.

Malinois and other Belgians are so cool to watch, but for some reason the more I meet the less I could see myself with one. I think the manic self assurance might be what's giving me pause.

Aussies are an odd breed for me. Obviously I love Cohen to bits, but the more Aussies I meet, the less I really like. If I were to ever get one in the future I'd probably have to search long and hard for a line that has the kind of things I really want.

Border Collies, the more I meet the more I love them. My husband doesn't agree, but we'll see if I can convince him to go along with it a few years down the road.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 03-21-2013, 06:38 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
I used to really covet NSDTRs. My friend has an absolutely wonderful girl who is sort of my model for everything I want Cohen to be, training-wise. I had an opportunity to get a pup from this same breeder (well respected working/sport breeder) but ultimately had to pass. There's just something about the retriever personality that doesn't quite gel with me.
There's something about the Toller personality that doesn't quite gel with a lot of "retriever people" either :P. They are just a little...different.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 03-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post

Breeds that I never expected to like and I'm fighting? Cocker spaniels. I don't know what it is, but I've met a few that just had 'it'.
There's a cocker in my rally class that I am in. love. with. I want that dog. He's AMAZING--cheerful, self-possessed, and such a good worker. I'd take him home in a heartbeat.

I still think he's a bit wacky looking though.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I love cockers, talk about a good breed with a bad rap. Given Ive met a lot of ditzy ones and a lot with bladder issues but over all they've been a pleasure to be around.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I love cockers, talk about a good breed with a bad rap. Given Ive met a lot of ditzy ones and a lot with bladder issues but over all they've been a pleasure to be around.
The one I covet, the lady trains him with really, really harsh corrections, but he just doesn't quit.

She can't keep up with him when she sends him over the broad jump, so he gets popped literally every time he goes over it, but every time she says 'over!' he races up to jump just as cheerful as ever, even though he knows he's going to get popped on the way down. He's a machine.

Even when she gives him two conflicting commands at once, he still tries one, even though she corrects because he 'chose wrong.' The next time she gives two commands at once, he still tries. (And yes, our trainer gets on her case about it, and she is getting better.)

Most dogs I've known wouldn't tolerate such shenanigans. He's just so cheerful about it.