Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Top Dog

Dear Roger;

Nobody actually reads these enormous, repetitive posts of yours. Nobody takes your advice because of these posts (there are enough legitimate members here that are pro-raw and experienced in raw that there should be no trouble finding help when needed) . It's really just propaganda. Your equation is crap and is irrelevant to this thread.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Puppy Dog

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Dear Roger;

Nobody actually reads these enormous, repetitive posts of yours. Nobody takes your advice because of these posts (there are enough legitimate members here that are pro-raw and experienced in raw that there should be no trouble finding help when needed) . It's really just propaganda. Your equation is crap and is irrelevant to this thread.
Not nearly as crap as your comment... the equation is very relevant...
Old 03-20-2013, 09:41 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Biduk View Post
Not nearly as crap as your comment... the equation is very relevant...
Sorry, I agree with Saeleofu. I know what my dogs do well on...and I'm certainly not hurting them in any way. I completely ignored your post.

But, for everyone else, Gracie is doing quite well. Although the food itself does not seem to be doing much in terms of her reacting, we have managed to wean the Temaril-P down to once a day, if not every other day. She went two days without it before I could get a refill and her arm pit started breaking out.

If when this bag of food is done (which should be awhile...) I'm not happy with her dosing of the steroid, I'm planning to get her allergy tested. I'd rather spend the money on that and get a vaccine devised for her than keep her on prednisone the rest of her life.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:34 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Sorry, I agree with Saeleofu...
Quote:
I completely ignored your post ...
Me, too, on both counts.

Quote:
But, for everyone else, Gracie is doing quite well. Although the food itself does not seem to be doing much in terms of her reacting, we have managed to wean the Temaril-P down to once a day, if not every other day. She went two days without it before I could get a refill and her arm pit started breaking out. ...
Here's a thought- could Gracie also be reacting to the potatos? Caleb did pretty good on Natural Balance LIDs, but still always had reddish, slightly inflamed ears. I was chalking it up to something environmental. Last spring I had enough of NB's lousy customer service and I switched him to Earthborn Holostics. About a month later, I notived his ears were pink instead of red (EH doesn't have potatos).
Old 03-21-2013, 08:03 AM
such sights to show you

To do a true food trial, I would home cook honestly. One novel protein source, one carbohydrate source for 8-10 weeks, then challenge with the old diet. (2-3 parts of carbohydrate to one part of protein.) No supplements, no treats, nada.

Don't worry about it being nutritionally complete for that short period of time, it's a diagnostic test more than anything and you aren't going to create any serious nutrient deficiencies in 8-10 weeks.

The reason is that it is highly probable that any commercially prepared (OTC or prescription) limited ingredient or novel protein diet has some cross contamination of ingredients from other foods made in the same facility.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Top Dog

My dog was breaking out in hives after he ate so we did some switching & finally we found that 4Health, lamb & rice worked wonderfully! He was allergic to corn and chicken. And he hasnt always been like this, it just started with his old age LOL.

I also saw a bag of food at the vets but I cannot remember what brand it was. It was guaranteed to be hypo allergenic & guaranteed to rid of skin issues if related to feed.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:30 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
Here's a thought- could Gracie also be reacting to the potatos? Caleb did pretty good on Natural Balance LIDs, but still always had reddish, slightly inflamed ears. I was chalking it up to something environmental. Last spring I had enough of NB's lousy customer service and I switched him to Earthborn Holostics. About a month later, I notived his ears were pink instead of red (EH doesn't have potatos).
She could be. And if this food helps, but isn't quite cutting it I may try the kangaroo/lentils version. She's never had potatoes or peas before, so while she could be allergic to them, its definitely a novel ingredient for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
To do a true food trial, I would home cook honestly. One novel protein source, one carbohydrate source for 8-10 weeks, then challenge with the old diet. (2-3 parts of carbohydrate to one part of protein.) No supplements, no treats, nada.

Don't worry about it being nutritionally complete for that short period of time, it's a diagnostic test more than anything and you aren't going to create any serious nutrient deficiencies in 8-10 weeks.

The reason is that it is highly probable that any commercially prepared (OTC or prescription) limited ingredient or novel protein diet has some cross contamination of ingredients from other foods made in the same facility.
I see your point, but that isn't really feasible for me right now, unfortunately. Her food is about as limited ingredient as they come (venison, potatoes, peas, and sunflower oil) and otherwise she's actually doing really well on it. Her coat is shiny, her hair is growing back in on her chest where it wasn't before, her poops are good, etc., etc. And whether it is the food or not, I have been able to wean her down on the meds where before I wasn't able to.

Also, question for those of you that have allergy tested:

What is better, interdermal, or serum testing? I've spoke with three vets at work and one said, "Interdermal, hands down." The other two said, "Eh, both are good, both have pros and cons, but serum could work for you."

If I have her tested via the interdermal method, I'm going to have to drive an hour and a half and it is going to cost me $$$. If I have her serum tested, I can do it at the clinic I work at and the cost goes under my employee benefit. But I don't want to waste that money if it isn't really going to tell me anything.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Top Dog

Interdermal is better and more accurate, BUT serum is an excellent place to start, especially if you can get it for a good discount. We do mostly serum where I work, and it works pretty well. We've had maybe one person go up to the dermatologist in the 7 years I've been there?

If it were my dog, in those cirsumstances, I'd do serum.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:58 PM
such sights to show you

Interdermal.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Top Dog

Interdermal. I've heard that Serum is a waste of money. Regardless of how cheap it is.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years