Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-20-2013, 03:55 PM
BusterLove

I thought Koolies would be a great fit for me but after living with one I would not seek one out. Yes they are great dogs but there is just a certain 'yay life' trait that doesn't gel with me.
And the noise, oh the noise.

A breed I never had an interest in till spending time with them was GSD's. where I train there are several and it seems like most of the other trainers have them to (working lines) and they are beautiful dogs with a great even temperament.
I think they are still too big for me though and if I was going to get a dog for a protection sport I would have to go with a mal.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s View Post
I thought Koolies would be a great fit for me but after living with one I would not seek one out. Yes they are great dogs but there is just a certain 'yay life' trait that doesn't gel with me.
And the noise, oh the noise.
If you don't like "yay life!" or noise, don't get a Stafford either.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Top Dog

I think there's been certain breeds I've thought I'd like, but then I meet some in person and change my mind. With that said, though, I've honestly never met enough of one breed to be like "THAT'S the breed for me!" after spending time with them.

As much as I want to branch out and often try other breeds, I will say though that little terriers tend to be my favorite, but it might just be because I'm biased with owning one. There's this 9 month old Cairn that frequents the dog park and I'm just in love with him and his energy. I don't like most JRT's but I think the right one with a good temperament, I would enjoy too.

I will say Dobermans were one of those breeds that I have now met a few times and NEVER thought I'd ever look into them, but I could see myself owning a Dobe one day. So that's one that was completely off my radar, and suddenly spiked an interest. I really like their overall temperament and just the 'feel' I've gotten from them.

GSD's are a breed I swore I'd have again someday... but now I'm not so sure. I've met too many with nervy temperaments and have small issues I wouldn't want to deal with. It would have to be the perfect dog for me and from the appropriate type of breeder.

Brit & Jackson

Old 03-20-2013, 04:13 PM
BusterLove

Lol. I know they've been out for a while. I love hanging out with them and I totally see the appeal but I take it too personally when my dog wants everyone else to be their friend as well.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm All Ears

I love yay life dogs as long as they have the right kind of edge. I find more and more I love the overly happy, ready to try anything and have fun dogs with some drive added in. Mia is almost always moving at a happy bounce (unless the ball is involved that's srs business. Summer quite often pogo sticks her excitement and I love that.

I don't even know how to describe it because a lot of yay happy breeds annoy me.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I love yay life dogs as long as they have the right kind of edge. I find more and more I love the overly happy, ready to try anything and have fun dogs with some drive added in. Mia is almost always moving at a happy bounce (unless the ball is involved that's srs business. Summer quite often pogo sticks her excitement and I love that.

I don't even know how to describe it because a lot of yay happy breeds annoy me.
I'm all for yay happy breeds as long as they have enough drive to focus on the task at hand. The yay happy dogs that have a hard time staying on task annoy me.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s View Post
Lol. I know they've been out for a while. I love hanging out with them and I totally see the appeal but I take it too personally when my dog wants everyone else to be their friend as well.
It's funny, Poppy and Traveler are totally siblings in that aspect but Didgie? She's like "Oh hi. That's nice." and comes right back to me like "Are we doing something?"

Honestly, I haven't been enamored with any breed other than Koolies. I thought I might want an ACD or a Corgi but it was more just learning what I like in dogs that swayed me away from them rather than meeting them. That was just the icing on the cake.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
I love yay life dogs as long as they have the right kind of edge.
Belgians, my friend, Belgians.

Though I think that PyrShep you're after will do it for you too!

Old 03-20-2013, 04:57 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Belgians, my friend, Belgians.

Though I think that PyrShep you're after will do it for you too!
I love Belgians a lot. But they're big. Lol. The more I'm around in my training club (so many tervs!) he more I think I'll have one one day. But not likely next.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:00 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
I love Belgians a lot. But they're big. Lol. The more I'm around in my training club (so many tervs!) he more I think I'll have one one day. But not likely next.
They are big-ish (well to me)! And mine doesn't understand where her body is or what it's doing most of the time, so I get my face stepped on and my chest vaulted off a lot. LOL.