Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Condoms aren't even 100% effective with proper usage, and with how often they break, it's realistically about 80% without backup.

Pulling out, if done correctly, is 100% effective. The idea you can get pregnant from pre-ejaculate is a myth. The only problem with it really is that you're relying (as a woman) on someone else.
This. Condoms have broken a lot, I'd really rather just not have it in there. haha. Plus, towards the end of my last relationship, I was having issues with reactions; not sure if it was because of the latex or specific brands/lubes used in them, but it kind of made me shy away from them.

Brian wants kids much less than I, so I don't have a problem with relying on him. lol

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 03-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Top Dog

Vasectomy! Before that, condoms exclusively. We never had any problems.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:09 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Condoms aren't even 100% effective with proper usage, and with how often they break, it's realistically about 80% without backup.

Pulling out, if done correctly, is 100% effective. The idea you can get pregnant from pre-ejaculate is a myth. The only problem with it really is that you're relying (as a woman) on someone else.
Not that I'm advocating this as birth control LOL but this is pretty much the system we have used since Hannah was born and no pregnancies yet.

HOWEVER, we are comfortable with this method because having a second child would not be devastating and we would be happy either way. so if you are absolutely trying to prevent pregnancy at all cost I wouldn't suggest using this method solely lol.

I was on a low hormone BC after I had Hannah briefly and it KILLED my sex drive and after I used them up we just decided not to renew the prescription and I've not been on any form of BC since and we don't use condoms (I am also one that has reactions to condoms and nothing kills the sex drive more than uncomfortable nether regions).

Whatever you choose I would double up if you really really can't have another pregnancy occur.

But yes the only 100% guarantee is abstinence but it's really not as bad as it sounds. there are LOTS of ways to be intimate that will just as effectively (if not more so) "get you there"

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 03-20-2013, 01:32 PM
<(°°<) <(°°)> (>°°)>

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
No, its not. Nothing is 100% effective except abstinence.

If used correctly every time, withdrawal is about 96% effective.
If used correctly every time, condoms are about 98% effective.

I'm not sure where you are buying your condoms from, or how well you are checking expiration dates on those, but if you break them 20% of the time, you're either using cheap condoms or you're doing it wrong.

percentages used are going by memory and may not be exactly accurate. College was a long time ago.

As for the OP, when I was on BC, I was on Alesse. Can't be on anything hormonal right now, though, due to drug interactions.
This. I didn't take the pill for 2 years. Condoms were all we used. No kiddies yet - and we never had a problem with them breaking.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Well we use none so I can't advise you lol

And I'm not pregnant, so either we are infertile or we are doing something right!

There's a lot to be said about a guy with self control.

*disclaimer - this is not good birth control and I don't recommend it. We aren't trying for kids, but we also wouldn't be devastated if it happened. We are both adults, financially secure and old enough to cope! And talk about having them in the next....... Well, that bits debated.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 03-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Top Dog

NuvaRing. Love it!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 03-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Resident fainting goat

Yaz, so the pill. I'm happy with it I put a reminder on my phone to take it at the same time every day so it's fine.

Condoms are also always used.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:21 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

I don't really have a good relationship with oral BC either, I just don't react good to them. We use condoms (& make sure we use them correctly & every time) & they seem to work very well (well I am not preggers yet so I assume they do lol) I might when I can go to PP & inquire on tubal legation because I know for sure that I don't want to have kids :/

Is using condoms ok? As long as thy are used correctly & carefully & every time? Besides tubal legation (which is not something I can afford right now :/) they are our only option right now is condoms.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
I don't really have a good relationship with oral BC either, I just don't react good to them. We use condoms (& make sure we use them correctly & every time) & they seem to work very well (well I am not preggers yet so I assume they do lol) I might when I can go to PP & inquire on tubal legation because I know for sure that I don't want to have kids :/

Is using condoms ok? As long as thy are used correctly & carefully & every time? Besides tubal legation (which is not something I can afford right now :/) they are our only option right now is condoms.
What kind of condoms are you using? I would make sure, since they are your only form of protection, to go for a quality brand. I have had big problems with "free"/cheaper condoms before glow in the dark? NEVER AGAIN! LOL

Use them correctly and you should be fine.. but ALSO you might want to head to your local CVS or planned parenthood and get the morning after pill and have it on hand, I have two always ready and if anything seems "off" (condom may have torn or slipped etc..) I pop one as soon as possible.

The side effects will be much like a period for most (mild cramping, etc..) but it's certainly better than the alternative and the worry lol

Also
- Spermicidal lube
- Pulling out
- There is a great app called "my days" or something for the iphone and it lets me know (by tracking when I had my period) what days I am especially fertile. I am extra careful on those days.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

The pill and condoms.

Frodo and I take our pills at the same time. One night I even wrapped my pill in bologna and nearly fed it to him At the last minute I was like...this feels wrong...ABORT ABORT! I got to take a bologna flavored bc pill that night

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.