Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-20-2013, 10:48 AM
I'm All Ears

Oh yeah, papillons are a breed I never would have thought I liked. My mom wanted a toy dog in high school. We got beau and I think I am pretty well hooked now. The more I meet the more I love the breed. I just love them. So much fun!

I too wish they came in a larger size.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Top Dog

It's not just you! I've been frequently told that Australian Shepherds would be a great fit for me, but I've met enough to know that they generally aren't. They have a certain quality that I had never been able to put my finger on, until I heard the term "bouncy" on Chaz. That said, I'd gladly make an exception for Journey, Merlin, Hawkeye, or Cohen. I'm already in love with them so they don't count

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I'm still up in the air about whippets, I love them and I think they'd suit me down the road but they're fragile and my dogs are dumb jerks, I see friends with well bred sport whippets and their wounds (breaks and deep gashes) are nasty and probably very expensive.
...crap. Now I'm worried. I'd really like to have a whippet along with GSDs, but forgot to consider how fragile they are.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:19 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Yep, for sure. I like a lot of breeds in theory but in person they just don't click.

One that went the other way were BCs. I had them in my head as personality-less OCD workaholics. No fun, no challenge, just mindless workworkwork. I've since met several, one in particular, who is pretty much my dream dog. Drive and workaholicism blended with incredible charisma and willpower. He literally cracks me up...and completely blows me out of the water. If I could have a BC like him, I'd be a happy gal. Most I meet do not have that wow factor for me but there is a subset of the population, often working/sport blends, that just resonate very well with me. They are the smaller, herding version of a good working retriever...though their BC owners would slay me for saying so lolol

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 03-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Let it be

Lots of dogs. I could own most breeds to be honest. I am adaptable... but really have no interest anymore in anything but Border Collies.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Top Dog

I am technically a great fit for Labs and Goldens yet I have never clicked with one. All of the breeds I like in real life don't fit what I want on paper.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Radical.

Oh yes... I was OBSESSED with BCs for a very long time and never really liked aussies. But after getting involved in the dog world and meeting BCs I discovered that we just really don't match? It's strange. And now I'm devoted to aussies.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Top Dog

I'm like that with Border Collies. I like them, and for a long time thought I wanted one, but when I'm around them I don't really feel any draw toward them. I don't really know what it is. They're not 'up' and happy enough for me, I think. They're so serious.

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of any at the moment. I think Border Collies are the biggest one.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 03-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Let it be

Bandit is pretty darn goofy when out and about. Not in the house though. He is sleeping when indoors.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Top Dog

It was really more of the opposite for me. I ALWAYS thought I would own nothing but sporting and hound breeds, particularly labs and bassets, with maybe the occasional dane. I was never interested in herding breeds; sure, I thought they were pretty, but they just seemed annoying. That is, until I actually started to meet them.

After falling in love with my best friend's GSD and my riding instructor's aussies and ACD, as well as reading about the ones on here, I adore herding breeds, and will probably own mostly them in the future (with perhaps a random working breed or terrier here and there).
Old 03-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Top Dog

I had read about how CRAZY the Belgians are, EVEN THE FLUFFY ONES and went, "Nope!"

Then I met a particular terv at a show... went home, and started searching. Never looked back.

It was odd, for me, because I don't usually go with gut feelings, but I met this dog and just... knew. So weird.

And the people that said they're crazy are right, of course. ;]