Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-22-2005, 04:34 PM
Big Dog

Default Can dogs have gastrist?

Cidney is 12 years old and it seems the older he gets this problem is getting to be more frequent.

Out of the blue, he will act like he is being punished, tail down and really mopy. He will start to vomit clear liquid and sometimes it will have grass mixed in with it. His tummy will sound like an alien is inside rumbling around and he will have the most offensive gas ever for a little 7 lb dog. I think he is in pain sometimes and these eposides will last about 30 min to an hour. I am so reluctant to take him to my vet because all she seems to want to do is prescribe antibotics for everything. Any one know where I can find some further information on these types of symtoms?
Old 02-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Top Dog

That's something you really need to see a vet about. Your dog could have any number of things going on, and all the things running through my head are very bad. If you don't like your vet, get a new one! I can't tell you how many vets I've told off, making sure they knew EXACTLY what I thought of them before I took my business and my furpals elsewhere.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Felurian

What Emma said! In the meantime, see if a little yoghurt doesn't help settle his tummy some.

Definitely look for a vet who doesn't just shoot antibiotics at everything. That might even be part of his problem - an imbalance caused by antibiotics killing off all the good bacteria he needs for digestion.

You might be well served to find a vet who uses alternative treatments. Here's a site that can help you find one in your area: http://ahvma.org/referral/index.html

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-23-2005, 08:43 AM
Love my pets

I agree with going to the vet.

CJ has gas problems from time to time, and my vet suggested plain yogurt. I give her a few tablespoons and it seems to do the job. It doesn't happen very often, but the yogurt works. CJ is 11 years old now, and the problem started a few years ago.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:58 AM
Border Collie Lover

I agree, please see the vet.
One of my lot suffers from a funny tummy and I use Bio yoghurt the one with the live enzymes in it. It really seems to help.
Good luck, and I hope he gets better soon.
Lynn