Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Top Dog

Default Stand for Exam/ stand stay training

This is what I worked on along with finding heel position with Recon today.

He kind of surprised the hell out of me. I have NEVER practiced stand or stand/stay with him before... except standing for me on the grooming table, but there was no stay for that and I can't imagine he generalized that?

I did click at the wrong time on the third go as he moved his leg, which I didn't mean to do as I was trying to click before he broke the stay like I thought he was going to do and kicked myself for it already, so no need to point that out, but what I'm wondering... because I've never trained a stand/stay for exam before... is after I click and come to him on that third repitition, he bounces a little/moves his feet to get the treat out of my hand. He was doing that every time BEFORE I started filming as well... and I don't actually release him until after I reward... Do you think this will be an issue as far as keeping his feet in one spot on a real SFE, and if so, what can I do to stop him from moving... I've already clicked so I HAVE to reward, and I can't see me doing anything different between the first two/last and that third one that would effect him.

Do you think I should let him get set up straight first/give him more time? I noticed that the third one when he moved, he did so because one foot was not underneat him and was awkward. Opinions? I'm brand new at this.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm