Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I adore snooker, and the more complex the better, but when the instructions are as big as the map, you know you are in for one heck of a run!
Lol, how the hell did the judge remember the points to call?!?!

Congrats on a successful weekend!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:16 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Everyone looks great!

My trainer is talking about us maybe entering a trial in June or July.... Eek! I don't know if we're ready but I guess experience doesn't hurt either.
Sometimes you just have to trust your trainer! I didn't think Auggie was ready but she talked us into entering, and she was right - we were ready. If it were up to me I probably never would have entered, LOL.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 03-17-2013, 07:24 PM
I'm All Ears

The plan right now is to enter some classes without weaves (still working on those). They're doing really really well lately in class. My handling... could be better- LOL! I guess we'll see when June and July come around. The plan has always been to wait till fall/winter. Is there anything to really worry about (other than losing some pride if it all goes to hell?)

Now that I am on my computer and not my phone- tonight went really nicely. Some bobbles here and there but we did some good long sequences with some more difficult handling. The girls stayed with me well and were engaged. I rewarded BOTH of them with a toy. That's pretty huge for us.

The one issue I noticed is driving forward... they stop if I stop. I think part of the problem is that I have a tendency to say 'gogogogo!' when I want them to pick up speed and it's subsequently poisoned the word 'GO!' for them to drive out. How would you fix that? Do you have a word to say to try to get the dog going a bit faster?
Old 03-17-2013, 08:15 PM
Top Dog

I'm still new to agility, but could you work on sending from one object to another with a clicker or shaping training? Do you throw a bag/toy/etc after successful runs to encourage the driving forward?

This is all stuff I did with Recon from the start and not Frag, and Frag will stop when I do, Recon will always drive forward to the next obstacle I call, regardless of my movement.

Sorry if those were dumb comments/ideas or I'm not understanding what you're asking/having problems with.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 03-17-2013, 08:31 PM
I'm All Ears

Yes we throw toys and have done lots of restrained recalls/driving to a target. Maybe I just need to brush it up a bit since we've moved past that quite a bit. Summer is just now getting to where she follows the toy if I throw it. Toy drive with her is virtually nothing so it's a work in progress. Tonight was the first time I ever used a toy as a reward with her. (and it's always filled with food for her).

I can send them on a simple exercise easily. If I'm running though, they both want to stick.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkie_Mom View Post
We also love rear crosses LOL.
You love rear crosses, I don't think Kimma does so much. You slow down to get behind her for the cross, so she slows down because you are, and so on. She starts to look a bit confused. She's definitely giving you a good effort!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:50 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Silvia Trkman in her Ready Steady Go video talks about getting your dog running flat out - I think she says it happens regularly when your dog is running with another dog, it's been a while since I watched the DVD - and to then name that so you can use it on the course. If "go" is truly poisoned you need another word. Hustle, hurry, zip zip, something like that. Auggie has a "hurry hurry!"

I would also work more on the restrains to targets. Distance skills are something that just came with time with Auggie, the more confident he got the more he was willing to go out. Payton's confidence explodes forth much faster than Auggie's but it was more or less the same thing... once he knew how to do the obstacle and what was expected, he was willing to charge forth and take it (even when not told to do so...) Georgie and Pepper are much more reserved about it and are less willing to go out and do something on their own too, I think it just takes time to build a dog's confidence to being able to go away from you and that yes, that IS what you want. Also make sure your body language is clear that it's okay to go away from you.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 03-17-2013, 10:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Gusto had a really tough start to the weekend. I'm still trying to work out what he needs for a warm-up to get him ready to go in the ring, and he wound up stressing quite a bit in his first run. He got going a bit more for his second run Friday, but it wasn't until Saturday that I started to see the Gusto I know in the ring. He can't be left to "think" for even a second apparently or he stresses. We TugTugTug until we get to the gate, then throw the tug and I continue to try to keep him engaged until the timer actually tells us to go. The professional photos from the day show me on the start line doing everything short of rolling on the ground with him! He conveniently got it together for the last two runs of the weekend, which were really the only two we "needed" towards his PI, with a great clean run in Standard (other than having to go see if the piece of chalk on the floor by the scribe was perhaps edible, but he was still under time), and pulled off the gamble despite the fact that I was nowhere near where I wanted to be.
Meg was adorably happy in both those runs! I know what you mean about trying to figure out what a dog needs as warm-up. With Pirate, I eventually figured out that the best thing I could do was to crate him away from the action, and then it isn't that important what I do for warm-up, he just gets too wound up and/or stressed in the building with the trial. Good luck finding the magic recipe for Gusto!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:55 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Ordering Susan Salo's Puppy Jumping DVD from BowWowFlix

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
The one issue I noticed is driving forward... they stop if I stop. I think part of the problem is that I have a tendency to say 'gogogogo!' when I want them to pick up speed and it's subsequently poisoned the word 'GO!' for them to drive out. How would you fix that? Do you have a word to say to try to get the dog going a bit faster?
I don't have a cue for my dog to go faster, they're generally trying to move out. I don't expect mine to keep going if I stop (don't really do gamblers type stuff), so that isn't something I specifically work on, though I have done some training with Pirate on driving forward to the obstacle directly in front of him with the cue "go!", so that I can start movement in another direction. I did that by running him down a straight line of jumps, with his ball on the ground at the end of the jump chute. That's very much like how he learned his RC's, so it made sense to him, and he picked it up quickly. (the ball is his favorite reward, and the one he'll drive towards the fastest.)