Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-17-2013, 11:22 AM
Top Dog

Default Golden Retrievers - Field Bred vs. Show Bred

Always had a soft spot for Goldens, a Golden was my very first dog ever. But I had kind of gotten over the idea of ever wanting one again until a few months ago.

It certainly wouldn't be ANY time soon, and I'm not even sure when I'm ready for another dog still, and have another breed on my close radar.

Anywho, I don't really know that much about Goldens other than growing up with one, having relatives with them, and I've also dogsat for a few (two different pairs). But in terms of what to look for in breeders, etc, no clue.

From my understanding, there's a big difference between field bred lines and pet show dog lines? Is there anything somewhat in between? I really like the looks of the field bred dogs better (vs. the more stocky, bigger heads of a lot of show dogs).

There was a Golden in my agility class who was a bit TOO high strung for my liking. He was always pulling his owner in the door, and he WAS great on the agility course, but there was a few times he just decided to take off and he went 'after' the small 6lb papillon mix in class, not really aggressively, but it seemed like high prey drive to me? Anyway, I think a Golden like this would be too intense for me.

90% of Goldens I meet are not like this though. All of them have been great with small dogs, and really easy going in the house, but able to go go go when the time is right too. Goldens are a breed I've never been annoyed by, either. lol. The ones I dogsat I was just in love with, especially the male. He would play fetch for hours, but he wasn't annoying about it either, and when you would go inside, he would just lay down by your feet. Super easy going but still ready to play!

Anyway, any Golden experiences, differences between breeders, etc.

Brit & Jackson

Old 03-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Top Dog

Speaker is one of my favorite Goldens: http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=14135

My agility and field trainer has dogs by him, and watching them run agility is why I wanted to train with her. They're beautiful dark red dogs with the more setter-like build I like. I love to watch them in obedience, too. They just have a presence to them.

Tanbark is a very popular kennel for obedience Goldens here.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:24 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raegan View Post
Tanbark is a very popular kennel for obedience Goldens here.
If she's looking for less high strung, your standard Tanbark dog is not going to be what she's looking for.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 03-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Glutton for Crazy

We have a lot of field bred goldens at my work who're down right insane. Many are slightly nasty and they're all overly hyper and pushy. They would all make killer sport dogs but I would never recommend them for the average pet family.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:39 PM
I'm All Ears

Man, there were some killer goldens running these last 3 days. Awesome dogs but a lot of dog.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:25 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Just from my personal experience, the show bred Goldens I've met have all been good dogs. Very soft and sweet, mellow, but ready to play and romp and do whatever you're up to. There is one dual purpose dog I've met and she's a bit more active and pushy, but also a good dog.

I net you could find a dog from a dual purpose breeder that would be just what you want. There is a breeder near me that I think would be a good place to start if I were the one looking, but I don't remember their kennel name and I'm not on my computer to find it right now. Lol

Old 03-17-2013, 06:36 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
If she's looking for less high strung, your standard Tanbark dog is not going to be what she's looking for.
That's good to know! Literally the only time I see them is in the obedience ring. They came to mind because physically they are between the bench and field types. To my eye anyway.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Watch for stamina issues with the show/dual goldens. I do agree they are ridiculously cute, sweet, and while they're driven enough to sport but many I've been around are winded easily which can be frustrating.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Top Dog

all the show bred goldens i've met have been pretty nice mellow dogs. unfortunately they'll all died between the ages of 6 and 8 from brain tumors and tumors surrounding their heart. that's at least 5 over the past 5 years, all gone, the last one being my cousins this past fall at the age of 6.5.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
all the show bred goldens i've met have been pretty nice mellow dogs. unfortunately they'll all died between the ages of 6 and 8 from brain tumors and tumors surrounding their heart. that's at least 5 over the past 5 years, all gone, the last one being my cousins this past fall at the age of 6.5.
That sucks. I wish cancer wasn't so rampant in the breed.

Thx for all the info.

Brit & Jackson