Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-17-2013, 04:03 AM
Ho ho ho off.

Question Kibble and raw together? Raw feeder advice.

I was reading somewhere last night that you shouldn't feed biscuits and raw together in the same bowl as this makes digestion difficult?

Is this true or a myth?

We are introducing raw atm and currently its mixed with their biscuits, and we are slowly cutting them down.

Bodhi has a stomach of steel, but Fred has always been more delicate and he has had some liquid poo. Nothing chronic, just at normal pooping times.

I don't want to just go straight to 100% raw as I don't think his tummy will take it.

Also, they won't get raw if and when we travel, so we need to ensure they can still eat biscuits at those times, so my plan was to include a handful of biscuits with one meal daily.

FYI we are feeding pre made minced raw, that includes meat, bone and organ, and feeding raw meaty bone once or twice a week.

Is this a bad idea?
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 03-17-2013, 06:09 AM
Kung Pow Fish

imo, yes. separate them by meals, kibble in pm raw in am, or something. the reason being raw meat digests quickly, as its designed to be (and not sit and allow bacteria to flourish in the gut) and kibble digests slowly, because of the plant and vegetable matter and dry nature. fed together, and the kibble slows down the raw, allowing harmful bacteria to grow and flourish while the kibble is causing a traffic jam, so to speak
Old 03-17-2013, 08:34 AM
such sights to show you

In my opinion it's probably true for some dogs but largely a myth for Dogs with a capital "D". I commonly feed both at one time and it's never caused my dogs any problems. In fact, I just did it this morning. It's also very common for mushers to feed large numbers of dogs this way without reported problems.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:47 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Brie (the cat) gets a mix of raw and kibble at many meals. I do make sure to soak the kibble just because of the extreme difference in moisture content between the two...but that's more of a palatability sort of thing.

I usually don't mix the two for the dogs but it's more of a logistics thing. Kibble meals are rare and pretty much for travel or if I don't have anything thawed for some reason...both situations in which I have no raw to mix in.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13
Old 03-17-2013, 09:15 AM
Top Dog

I frequently mix cannd, kibble, and/or raw into one meal for dogs/cats. There doesn't seem to be any issue with it so far? I used to be really ridiculous about feeding at separate times but I've not seen an issue with the current way I'm feeding.

I was adding canned to the top of Buzz's dry kibble so I could throw all of his meds in there and they'd go down easier. I've changed that out for a pre-made raw and he's done fine. I frequently mix canned and raw for my cats... just because?
ARCH URO1 UCD Buzz NAC NCC S-NJC O-TN-N TG-N WV-N RL2 RLVX RN ThD CGC
Old 03-17-2013, 12:31 PM
orange iguanas.

I mix with no issue, as I think would be the case for most dogs. I used to buy into the idea that they should be fed separately, but then it started sounding silly to me. I don't think the digestion of raw meat comes to a complete halt just because there is kibble in there as well.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 03-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I mix regularly.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Ho ho ho off.

Super. We will keep doing what were doing then.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:10 AM
love the fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I was reading somewhere last night that you shouldn't feed biscuits and raw together in the same bowl as this makes digestion difficult?

Is this true or a myth?

We are introducing raw atm and currently its mixed with their biscuits, and we are slowly cutting them down.

Bodhi has a stomach of steel, but Fred has always been more delicate and he has had some liquid poo. Nothing chronic, just at normal pooping times.

I don't want to just go straight to 100% raw as I don't think his tummy will take it.

Also, they won't get raw if and when we travel, so we need to ensure they can still eat biscuits at those times, so my plan was to include a handful of biscuits with one meal daily.

FYI we are feeding pre made minced raw, that includes meat, bone and organ, and feeding raw meaty bone once or twice a week.

Is this a bad idea?
Yes, it's true. Kibble is a man made, cooked processed food where raw is comepletly natural, and species appropriate for the body. Because of that, kibble digests slower since it's harder on the body to digest. Raw is used efficiantly and easily by the body and goes on through much faster.

With that said, a lot of dogs do okay with the two mixed, but on the the other hand a lot also don't. That's when there are digestive disturbances. It's not so bad if it's one or the other at different meal times, just not mixed.

If you are already feeding premade raw, why not just use that? It would be easy to travel with.

As far as his tummy not taking it, raw is species appropriate, just what his body was designed for. It's going to be easier on him than any any cooked, processed biscuits or kibble would be.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:59 AM
Ho ho ho off.

Travelling with a week's worth of raw meat to store and freeze isn't easy ha! Not sure where you go! We are regularly away for weekends, dogs come or stay with people who don't want to handle crushed organ and bone matter. I don't blame them, its minging. Fred in particular requires a lot, about 3 packs a day. He's a big puppy!

I'm not a raw Nazi, just like I don't feed myself purely organic unprocessed food... I don't mind a bit of junk, I just want to minimize it.

On the other hand I don't want to make them sick

I wish it was practical to take raw meat everywhere with us but its not. I'm often away just for the night with Fred and I can't lug a bloody organ mass with my to other people's homes lol its hardly polite. Especially when they arent really dog people!