Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Club Terrible - President

I'm here if you need to talk - I believe I'm about the same age as you (18 in July) and I'm in recovery for EDNOS. Stay strong.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:28 PM
Top Dog

Thanks everyone for the support.

And yeah- I did set myself up to fail. Ended up binging yesterday, I don't know why it has to be so hard. Good news is today I did good, which is good enough for me. I'm hoping with enough motivation I can recover.

Crystal - female - German Shepherd x Sheltie mix - DOB: 8/1/09 - 40 lbs
Old 03-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalGSD View Post
Thanks everyone for the support.

And yeah- I did set myself up to fail. Ended up binging yesterday, I don't know why it has to be so hard. Good news is today I did good, which is good enough for me. I'm hoping with enough motivation I can recover.
Today is a new day, focus on your victories. Having a good day today proves that you can fight this!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Today is a new day, focus on your victories. Having a good day today proves that you can fight this!
No need to dwell on the past, am I right?

Crystal - female - German Shepherd x Sheltie mix - DOB: 8/1/09 - 40 lbs
Old 03-16-2013, 06:00 PM
Top Dog

Have you gotten into any kind of cognitive therapy at this point?

I was an anorexic through highschool, and I still have a fabulously tangled up relationship with food. You can resolve yourself to stop your habits as much as you want, but in my opinion that's just a bandaid solution that doesn't address the underlying tendencies that are causing your troubles in the first place.

Even though through pure willpower I could stop restricting for weeks or sometimes even a month at a time, it always came back until I realized it wasn't something I could simply fix. Talking to someone really allowed me to take a step back and ensured that someone was holding me accountable for my actions.

Edited: Also, obviously ((((hugs))))) I wish you the best and I know you can beat this!!!

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 03-16-2013, 06:50 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
This

A week might be too much-- you dont want to set YOURSELF up to fail. You dont teach a stay and then ask for a 10 minute down-stay :s
This and great post MM.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by houlahoops View Post
Have you gotten into any kind of cognitive therapy at this point?

I was an anorexic through highschool, and I still have a fabulously tangled up relationship with food. You can resolve yourself to stop your habits as much as you want, but in my opinion that's just a bandaid solution that doesn't address the underlying tendencies that are causing your troubles in the first place.

Even though through pure willpower I could stop restricting for weeks or sometimes even a month at a time, it always came back until I realized it wasn't something I could simply fix. Talking to someone really allowed me to take a step back and ensured that someone was holding me accountable for my actions.

Edited: Also, obviously ((((hugs))))) I wish you the best and I know you can beat this!!!
Agreed completely with this. The reason it's so hard is because it's not as simple as just saying "I'm not going to binge anymore!" I said in another thread, it's kind of like if somebody is clinically depressed (not just a little down in the dumps but REALLY depressed,) they can't just decide one day "I'm going to be HAPPY!!" and resolve all their problems. It's sooo much more than that and I would strongly recommend you seek some help through a therapist of some kind to work through this.

(((((MAJOR HUGS)))))

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 03-17-2013, 06:30 AM
Kung Pow Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalGSD View Post
No need to dwell on the past, am I right?
exactly if "victory" for you is something so silly and minor as 5 bites less or more, or a matter of a few hours, take it and do a dance. every little bit helps, even if you "fail" if you learned something new about yourself and can adjust and learn from it, and have a better handle on what makes you tick, its still a victory

i dont have any eating disorders or issues with food, but i do have my own personal demons that cripple me in a big way and iv learned to either love what they are, or analyze the holy **** out of them until they make sense and i can work past them. its not easy, but it is possible
Old 03-17-2013, 08:48 AM
Top Dog

If seeing a traditional therapist is not an option, you can always talk to your counselor at school, or call an eating disorder hotline, find a support group, etc. there are a lot of resources available if you know where to look.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com