Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-12-2013, 07:52 AM
Top Dog

There are some brand new hamster sized saluki puppies in rescue who will be coming to Canada once they are old enough to travel.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Water Junkie

Honestly, I wouldn't suggest Border Collie. For a couple reasons. One, a Border Collie pup/young adult is going to be a HUGE change in activity level/mental stimulation needs compared to living with an older dog for a number of years. I know you said you would like to pursue sports, which is great, but I think you can find what you're looking for in a less intense dog. Two, I do worry about the ferret issue. They could be fine with a little training, or it could blow up in your face easily depending on the dog and take alot of work to over come.

I would stick with a non-herding breed, personally, since you already have the ferrets. I second the idea for a small Golden-type. They'll be an easier breed to handle, energetic, handler focused, wouldn't be as ferret obsessed, and most certainly excel at sports.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 03-14-2013, 12:30 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Also, I know Shelties were mentioned earlier. Mine were not small animal friendly at all. Nikki was not even cat safe. She would obsess at the hamster and chinchilla cages for hours if I let her. We had to really watch her and make sure she wasn't allowed or else she'd stress the chin. Trey actually pulled a lassie when the hamster escaped and came to us to show us. Nikki tried to kill the hamster. But she was very obsessive about small animals.

That's kind of funny, i always smile when i think of our Nikki's
My Nikki was fabulous with small animals, including my childhood ferret. She was good with kittens, hamsters, and moles too (yuk LOL). Bailey's the same way, the only difference is she's afraid of adult cats but that's how it goes, dogs are individuals. My parents have to GSDs, both pound rescues. One is great with everyone, even small animals, one is reactive to everyone and she'd kill a small animal in a heartbeat.

To be honest, I love researching for breeds, good breeders, etc... but my actual real vote for you Jess goes to a rescue mix FTW with a good stable tested temperament ! maybe an alloftheabove mix lol

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 03-14-2013, 01:13 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Just a note with gundogs since they've come up a few times:

A working line retriever is fairly likely to have huge prey drive. It manifests differently from the herders but it'll likely still take a fair amount of training to be sure they are safe together, even supervised. They may pick up the ferrets with a gentle mouth instead of a snap, but the ferrets are unlikely to appreciate the experience, regardless.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 03-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Top Dog

I'd say a Collie (smooth or rough depending on what sort of coat care you'd prefer - mostly wash and wear but sheds tumbleweeds or less tumbleweeds but needs more regular brushing) seems to fit what you'd like, especially if you can find a breeder who does stuff with their's. My collie had a very high prey drive (as in, he would kill and eat small wild animals if given a chance) but he was excellent and always totally trustworthy with all household animals. He was great with my ferrets, would watch over my rabbit when they were both loose in the yard, accepted having cats without any issue. An English Shepherd could fit the bill too I think. My understanding is they are similar to Collies in that they are known for being gentle, social family dogs. I think a show bred Aussie from the right breeder could work too, most I have been around have been great with other dogs, people, animals and seem more "happy" and less serious than the working line ones I have known. And dogs from both show and working can do well in sports in that breed.

FWIW Every BC I had in my house obsessed over my ferrets in a big way. I have pictures of at least one of them in BC stalk mode staring at the ferrets in their cage and she would do that for hours if allowed. None of them were not raised with small furry animals though, so I'm sure it could be managed/worked with a bit better if they were. But yeah, ferrets especially seem to make BCs crazy (must be their weasel-y motion!) or at least the ones I knew well.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:34 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Kimma is ferret-friendly! And even though they are bred to hunt birds/small game, my guys were all just fine with the parakeets at my In-Laws' while we lived there for about 8 months. Though I'm not sure a Finkie would meet all of your other requirements :/

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 20 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 7 years old (M)
Old 03-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Glutton for Crazy

OMG get a Kimma baby!!!!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:11 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
OMG get a Kimma baby!!!!
Hahahaha you might need ear plugs though for a baby Kimma. And a never-ending list of things to train. She's a bit of a psycho

A baby Pentti or Bubby, however, would be quite nice

(Still might need ear plugs...)

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 20 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 7 years old (M)
Old 03-15-2013, 11:11 PM
Not a Border Collie

My first thought was ES (duhhh) or BC. Sounds like quite a few breeds would fit your needs, though!

Quinn - English Shepherd