Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Big German Shepherd

Haha, me too it's going to be a great day. Thanks for all your help. Even though it is hard to tell. I know I'm getting a black and tan GSD.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Felurian

So, howzabout you post some of those photos of your dog's litter in the gallery????? Please?!

Hey, the only crate I've ever had was one we got for our big yellow cat, Gulliver, when we moved back east from California, and it was mainly to keep his litterbox in one place in the camping trailer, lol! Once we got moved it made a great home for enterprising spiders in the garage . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-20-2005, 04:54 PM
Big German Shepherd

Hehe, I'll try... but it just shows the pup feeding with the big momma. They're all very young in this picture. They're all still pure black.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:16 PM

I think it's sooooo funny how they are born all black. When I first saw Ham's litter.....I said 'hey....they look like little black labs!??!' You can tell I knew nothing.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:08 PM
Big German Shepherd

Yeah, at first I was like "I wanted a black and tan GSD."

But, I was soon informed that that's the way they look when they're born.

Yup... can't wait... just... 3... more... weeks!
Old 02-22-2005, 05:51 PM
Try not; DO or do not

I have had great results with house training using a bell. Even older dogs learn to use it quickly. Hang a couple of jingle bells next to the door you will be taking your dog in and out through. I hang mine from an old choke collar. Every time you take your dog out, let them see you hit the bell with your hand to make it jingle and say go out or whatever you choose. Before long your dog will hit the bell with his/her nose to inform you of their need. I have never had a dog who did not pick it up quickly. While this does not help getting them to go in the right spot, once your dog makes the association it is a great tool for them to communicate their need. DO NOT give them a treat for ringing the bell. Let them make the association without coercion or you will create a monster who will spend endless hours ringing the bell for "goodies." Just ask my husband! Dingo will drive him nuts if I am not home. She learned fast that if she rang the bell when I was not home dad would go to the kitchen to let her out and give her a treat instead if she sat by the fridge instead of the door. Never does it to me, though.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:53 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i have never used a crate, but I did grow up in a house where my mama pottytrained children 3 or 4 at a time year, after year, after year!!!!! Don't take your eyes off your pup and he will be housebroken before you can say Jack Robinson. If I leave the room ..they go with me. I take a bath..they come in the bathroom...I go to bed..(glad I am not a crate dog) they come with me. After they eat..when their eyes open after a nap...out you go Three days....no more than a couple beginnings of a puddle..with a aaaaahh out you go..and it is a done deal. I'd all most bet money on it.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:03 PM
Felurian

The bells are a good tool, MoparStar. We don't need them around here, though, cause my bunch make plenty of noise banging the door, lol!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-23-2005, 09:30 AM
Love my pets

Big Dog - Congrats on all you're doing to prepare for the pup. Max sounds like a great name! I wonder why I like it so much, probably since I have a Max myself.