Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Bite me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgilityPup View Post
As of right now, I'm trying to think of a way to raise some money to try and pay the $250 membership fees... Made up some Schtuzhund related t-shirt designs (I'm going to do some general dog and agility ones too)... anyone interested in seeing?
Yep, I want to see.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I am also going to look into doing some tracking with her, and who knows, I might also do some protection work after, it's hard to tell, really. I gotta get a taste for it, with my own dog, first. I've watched a lot, just haven't ever had the chance to do it myself.

I'll make another thread for the t-shirt designs!
I think protection is the best part If you're going to join a club that's the part you have to do. You don't need anybody else to do OB or tracking
Old 03-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Agility freak!

I posted a thread with the few designs I've already made up!

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 03-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Yup, we had an extreme group compare to people we've talked to, I'm not complaining as much as I wish I would have known to train for it more. Also our traffic safety was about 15 people who joyfully passing pressuring and even bumped (the judge laughed and said not that close guys) Sloan and Denis, I was genuinely thankfully at that age Backup didn't make it that far. The bike was ridden by a kid and he was ringing the bell nonstop and swerving, again the judge laughed and said don't run them over kid! Sloan didn't have an issue but Backup would have sidestepped out of concern. Now I know what to practice for and if the next BH is a breeze that's great but we sure got thrown in the deep end with ours. lol
Your BH sounds...horrible! LOL I've never seen one so difficult before, ever. Kastle has no environmental concerns, but *I* would not be happy that someone bumped into my dog while walking. And I mean that in general - I do not like people touching me/my dog, although my dog doesn't give a crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
I think protection is the best part If you're going to join a club that's the part you have to do. You don't need anybody else to do OB or tracking
True story. About 90% of Kastle's obedience/tracking I did on my own without a club. Even when I was IN a club, I trained them on my own and had my own plans. I just joined another club and have just started protection again.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
I was being more facetious than factual I've seen a few CGC's done and they weren't too involved relatively speaking. Again it depends on what the end goal is as to what is "a lot" of training and what isn't.

A BH is considerably more than a CGC. It is also considered a basic temp and OB test that one must pass in order to go for titles. Judges do have a fair amount of leeway when judging these. Some dogs can fail a few exercises, but if they judge thinks the dog has what it takes to move on, they'll over looks somethings like dogs coming to heel instead of a front, or downing on a sit in motion or vice versa. Where in a trial for a title you'd be penalized much more heavily and probably won't pass.
For some people, training for and achieving a CGC is a big deal, and I wouldn't like those people to feel belittled. There are behaviors the dogs have to have trained. And no, they aren't really at competition level, but for some people, still feels like an accomplishment.

I did say that I thought the BH sounded like considerably more.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Original Twin

Do you actually HAVE to join the club?

Nico and I will be getting our BH one of these days...
Old 03-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Agility freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside View Post
Do you actually HAVE to join the club?

Nico and I will be getting our BH one of these days...
I've never trained anything like this on my own, so yes, I'll be joining the club, and Simi has some people issues that I really need the help of that club to work through so I need to join.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Bite me.

If your club meets once a week, that is less than $5 a session. When you compare to agility, herding, etc, it's a deal! Most clubs meet twice a week. Even better deal.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Agility freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliraptor View Post
If your club meets once a week, that is less than $5 a session. When you compare to agility, herding, etc, it's a deal! Most clubs meet twice a week. Even better deal.
Actually, this club meets three times a week. And it's a smallish group so you get a lot of training time, and they're very welcoming. I've been watching for ages and they've all made me feel very at home. I likely will only be able to go once or twice a week because of work, but still. Like you said, less than $5 a session, and considering I pay around $120 for 6 weeks of agility (so $20 a session) that's not too shabby! And it's the same price for 6 weeks of obedience here, too. So yeah, I know that the price to join isn't that bad, and I'll get my moneys worth... it's just a matter of raising the money. I'm in the process of trying to buy a house with the boyfriend right now, so things are tight. Hoping I can sell some shirts to make up the price.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
I've never trained anything like this on my own, so yes, I'll be joining the club, and Simi has some people issues that I really need the help of that club to work through so I need to join.
Do it, it's not easy on your own when it's a first, plus it helps a lot to have eyes and helpers.

Falon, I've heard a lot that our BH was really on the extreme for spacial challenges, no one was purposefully challenging us, those that bumped Sloan were commented on by the judge, and really it was an awesome club and judge but they were all very jovial and physically active which was far more challenging for my young inexperienced, specially aware, dog and me as well. Also, I don't like being touched or crowded and strangers watching me make me uneasy so I'm sure I hinder my dog a fair amount but that's why it's a team effort, or so some smug asshole says. lol Needless to say it was rough for us but Denis, Mr unflappable, and Sloan, Ms warhorse, were fine.

I am pretty sure Backup would pass that same BH now but he's matured, more exposed, better trained, and I know how to work a dog like him a lot better now. That said, who knows, all I know is we'll be **** proud if we do, and then on to the easy stuff like Bitework. :P
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.