Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Top Dog

I go between having my dogs/cats wear collars and not. Right now Buzz has a rolled leather collar on and it's loose enough to sit at the base of his neck. It could likely slide over his head if he wanted it to but I rarely attach a leash to his collar. I used to ALWAYS walk the dogs in martingales or limited slips (or a harness) and I still do that for dogs that are not my own (pet sitting/fosters).

Right now Bailey's wearing a plain flat leather collar and it could definitely slide over her head with a little wiggling. I like them to sit at the base of the neck rather than in the middle. I figure it's got to be more comfortable.

That being said, my cats wear Beastie Bands that fit pretty tight as I don't want those getting caught and the cat getting stuck, even temporarily...
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 03-14-2013, 10:53 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Having d*** near had a tragedy due to a defty slipped collar at the wrong moment (Mira has mad slipping skills when she chooses to employ them), walking collars are well and snuggly fitted here. Transitioning to limited slips as well. Tag collars on the other hand are pretty loose...I want them able to slip those if they catch on something. That said the dogs pretty much go naked unless we're out & about. In addition to the normal hazards, Kim thinks it's funny to grab collars so they are only worn at home when necessary and under direct supervision.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 03-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Top Dog

Mine usually wear martingales (or limited slips), which are kept fairly loose (can fit about 3 fingers), but tighten appropriately when the loop is grabbed so that there is no chance for slipping.

If they wear flat collars, I keep them moderately snug. Snug enough not to just fall off, but loose enough that they can slip off if I really needed them to. But I don't walk them on flat collars ever, because I've seen dogs slip them no matter how tight they are it seems. So if they're wearing flat collars they're walked on a slip lead.

Ripley
Keira CGN
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 03-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Martingales on all of mine too, ranging about 2-3 fingers depending. Payton's is looser than the other guys - his sometimes gets caught in his hair when I take it off, so I loosened it up some so it wouldn't pull out a bunch of his hair.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 03-14-2013, 01:32 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Mine don't wear collars except when I take them places & they wear half checks.

Since all of mine are microchipped, I don't feel the need for them to wear collars, being in the country, it's far more risky to leave their collars on as opposed to leaving them off.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Plus One

3 dogs wear nothing but scamp definitely needs to be wearing one.

3 of the 4 that wear collars wear martingales. I just tried Tazs collar and I was easily able to fit 4 fingers under his collar and the rest are probably the same. They tighten enough when they're needed so they do.

Tika wears a flat buckle collar that is on as tight as o can possibly get it without strangling her. She is far to good at slipping her collar when she wants and since she is DA I don't want to risk her going after another dog,
Old 03-14-2013, 07:32 PM
Top Dog

One dog does not wear a collar. The other two, loose enough I can grab (fit 4 fingers in and grab) but not easily slide off their heads (lucky, they have necks smaller than their heads). And because Jinj gets tied out often to the porch his collar does need to be tight enough he can't slip it easy, with no fence around the front and his need to chase things/wonder he goes on a tie out.
Oh, and my current siggy is contrary to who is and is not wearing a collar, don't let it fool you.