Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports

Old 03-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
All I could find about it was the Spokane kennel club, and they seem very... pro-breeder and discourage any dogs from anything but.
So? She's looking at playing disc not get breeder opinions. Why not give them a shot and see what they are like firsthand?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post
That's a really good point, I'll shoot them an email! ^_^ Thanks!
No problem. If you have any questions about disc in the meantime, let me know and I'll try to shoot you in the right direction.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
All I could find about it was the Spokane kennel club, and they seem very... pro-breeder and discourage any dogs from anything but.
Yeah I'm not super suprised. Honestly, most of the dog world here is very ....... well....... same as everything else here, traditional/conservative. >_< At the dog training place Art and us went to the lady literally told me "I'd love to see a mutt win something for a change and show up some of those purebreds." Um...ok, was that a compliment? lol

But yeah, it's not that suprising
Old 03-14-2013, 06:36 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
No problem. If you have any questions about disc in the meantime, let me know and I'll try to shoot you in the right direction.
Ok, Thanks. I'm goign to work on teaching Talon to go around, and for both ground throws to work on their catching skills.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Big Dog

I second Sara's advice on rollers, it helps teach easier tracking. Also, always avoid throwing a disc right at your dog's face when you are starting up in disc. The "go around" mentioned earlier is a great way to avoid straight on catches.

Good luck, disc is super fun!!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I second Sara's advice on rollers, it helps teach easier tracking. Also, always avoid throwing a disc right at your dog's face when you are starting up in disc. The "go around" mentioned earlier is a great way to avoid straight on catches.

Unless you suck at throwing rollers like me. Then it does nothing for your dog.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
LOL, I dunno... I think your rollers are getting better! Just in time for Zip
Old 03-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Twin 2

I'm going to third the rollers, that helped so much with Didgie.

I also am going to echo finding a club. I looove my club so much and even though I haven't been able to go a ton the times I can I get so much out of it. And I adore the people there too, so much fun to geek out with dog people who love training, sports and dogs.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

So I didn't know, but when I went into the school's bookstore today they sold discs for dogs! So I bought one spur of the moment. What exactly consitutes a good disc for disc dog?

We have two at home, a small gel/flexible one and one you get at petsmart that's hard plastic, ick. We use the gel/flexible one the most. The one I just bought is rubber and flexible and normal size yay. The brand is Dogobie and it was on sale for $3.50 seemed like a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post

oops LOL

Is that so they learn to track the frisbee or just so you don't injure them? lol

Quote:
I think I may be in the same boat. I tried it a couple times last night in the house and it was ok, but not all that great. My poor dogs don't know what they are in for haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I'm going to third the rollers, that helped so much with Didgie.

I also am going to echo finding a club. I looove my club so much and even though I haven't been able to go a ton the times I can I get so much out of it. And I adore the people there too, so much fun to geek out with dog people who love training, sports and dogs.
I wish other people here felt the same about dogs as I do, but most of the dog crazy people are very traditional so we butt head. >_<

This makes me miss Tacoma.....my training facility was sooo awesome there.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post
So I didn't know, but when I went into the school's bookstore today they sold discs for dogs! So I bought one spur of the moment. What exactly consitutes a good disc for disc dog?
Depends on your dog, your throwing, the wind and other conditions!

Honestly, I really like the euroblend fastbacks, this is what our club prints their logos on and sells for pretty reasonable ($2/disc). They hold up well enough for my dogs but aren't the best for hard biting dogs that crack discs easily.

Otherwise it's just finding dog specific discs and finding which ones you like. Again, going through a club is your best bet to buy a lot for cheap. At the rate I'm going, I go through about 30 discs in 5 months or so.