Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports

Old 03-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Default Disc dog people

I know there are a few people who play with discs. So, I took the dogs out individually, attached them to a long line, and worked on catching/grabbing the frisbee. I'm using a softer frisbee (it's not plastic it's more hard rubber) and what i was doing was just holding it and having them run, jump and grab it. then tried a couple easy catches.

How do you get a dog to get better at catching it?

Talon catches better than Artimis, though Talon I'm not letting him jump for it cause he's so young. He is more ground level catching lol

For Artimis he really has the drive to get the frisbee, which I really never thought he did! I was amazed how much he wanted to jump and get the frisbee lol So now we need to get him catchin it better.

They both do the same thing, they use their paws to sandwich it and stick it in their mouths. >_< How do you teach them to just use their mouths?

Any other hints would be cool!

I'd love to do classes, but there are none around here
Old 03-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Top Dog

Rollers

I know it sounds stupid but rollers help the dog learn to track and grab with their mouths. Also, do a lot of flat work like go arounds, rear crosses and ribbon work now to help your dog learn to be where you need them to be so they are more likely to catch the disc. 90% of the time dogs have trouble catching because the throws aren't ideal, so work on throwing to a target/person without your dogs.

Pawsitive Vybe has a lot of great foundation videos and even has a foundation disc dog class online. Tons of throwing drills, flatwork drills, catching drills, etc. So check them out! http://www.youtube.com/user/k9disc
Old 03-13-2013, 03:24 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Rollers

I know it sounds stupid but rollers help the dog learn to track and grab with their mouths. Also, do a lot of flat work like go arounds, rear crosses and ribbon work now to help your dog learn to be where you need them to be so they are more likely to catch the disc. 90% of the time dogs have trouble catching because the throws aren't ideal, so work on throwing to a target/person without your dogs.

Pawsitive Vybe has a lot of great foundation videos and even has a foundation disc dog class online. Tons of throwing drills, flatwork drills, catching drills, etc. So check them out! http://www.youtube.com/user/k9disc
haha, more like 99% of the time when it comes to me

You are awesome thank you! Those video's will keep me busy for a while! ^_^ God, I'm really falling for disc work, and both dogs seem to really enjoy it. I wish there was a class around here that offered it I've never done an online class before and am kinda nervous about them. I'm more of a physical learner, it can be hard for me to understand what people mean when I read things sometimes.

Anyways, Thanks!
Old 03-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post
haha, more like 99% of the time when it comes to me

You are awesome thank you! Those video's will keep me busy for a while! ^_^ God, I'm really falling for disc work, and both dogs seem to really enjoy it. I wish there was a class around here that offered it I've never done an online class before and am kinda nervous about them. I'm more of a physical learner, it can be hard for me to understand what people mean when I read things sometimes.

Anyways, Thanks!
There aren't a lot of classes out there because you get a lot of people that want to sign up and have an amazing disc dog when their dog has absolutely no toy drive. So it's a tough class to teach.

Where are you located? The best way to go about learning disc is to join a club that has active play dates.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:04 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
There aren't a lot of classes out there because you get a lot of people that want to sign up and have an amazing disc dog when their dog has absolutely no toy drive. So it's a tough class to teach.

Where are you located? The best way to go about learning disc is to join a club that has active play dates.
I can totally understand that. I'm in the spokane, wa area so a lot of rural area's with one main ciry, which is why its somewhat tough to find classes.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:15 PM
Top Dog

Oh trust me, there aren't a lot of disc dog classes anywhere.

It looks like there are couple clubs around you, the first is Disc Dogs of Spokane (they've even hosted some skyhoundz qualifiers in the past) and Woofd2 .
Old 03-14-2013, 06:25 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Oh trust me, there aren't a lot of disc dog classes anywhere.

It looks like there are couple clubs around you, the first is Disc Dogs of Spokane (they've even hosted some skyhoundz qualifiers in the past) and Woofd2 .
I'm pretty sure Woofd2 is in the seattle area? I'm on the other side of the state from them unfortunately, which is a 5 hour drive. I'm trying to find the Disc Dogs of Spokane page, or number, or eamil, but for some reason I can't find much. :/ It says they hold an annual event at valleyfest, but that's not until july. hmm.. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the help
Old 03-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post
I'm pretty sure Woofd2 is in the seattle area? I'm on the other side of the state from them unfortunately, which is a 5 hour drive. I'm trying to find the Disc Dogs of Spokane page, or number, or eamil, but for some reason I can't find much. :/ It says they hold an annual event at valleyfest, but that's not until july. hmm.. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the help
I would still contact them! A lot of times clubs hold events in different places, I have one friend who is in a club but most of the comps are 3 hours from her. Also, they might have the contact info for a club that is more local or contact info for a member that lives in your area that can help you get started.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Love My Mutt <3

All I could find about it was the Spokane kennel club, and they seem very... pro-breeder and discourage any dogs from anything but.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
I would still contact them! A lot of times clubs hold events in different places, I have one friend who is in a club but most of the comps are 3 hours from her. Also, they might have the contact info for a club that is more local or contact info for a member that lives in your area that can help you get started.
That's a really good point, I'll shoot them an email! ^_^ Thanks!