Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Top Dog

I have nothing helpful to add, but this thread just made me go look up cabin rentals that are pet friendly in this area. There's less than I would have thought but still a couple that are making me think about a weekend getaway this summer.

ETA: We would only take one dog though. And it would likely be Mu since she's the problem child and doesn't play well with others (and has the best recall). Lol

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Top Dog

I'd say DON'T if the following apply:

- your dog has separation anxiety, or really any kind of anxiety/aggression problems that could cause an issue during vacation
- you want to do a lot of sightseeing, or are planning on all-day activities, like you want to spend an entire day on a boat, long fishing trips, day-trips to a nearby city, amusement park, etc.

Otherwise, I don't think it should be an issue. Especially if you're going to an East Coast beach, many are dog friendly (check beforehand), any small city is relatively dog friendly and you can eat at outdoor, dog friendly cafes, etc.

Most stable dogs adapt really well, especially if their people are with them. Going out to dinner and a play and leaving him crated, if he gets adequate exercise, is going to be no different than doing it at home for most dogs.

Even if you bring him to the beach or a park in the AM for plenty of exercise, and then crate him for the afternoon while you enjoy "dog free" time sipping drinks on a people-only beach, he's still going to ADORE being with you in a new place with fun things like beaches/hiking/water/etc.

You can look into a rental cottage or house instead of a hotel, too. Hotels aren't bad, but it's usually a little more stressful on the dog to hear so many people walking around and other dogs barking - and more stressful on you if he does bark a lot. VRBO.com is great for pet-friendly vacation spaces.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Ocracoke is actually where we stayed on the Outer Banks! We'd take Maggie out on the beach in the morning and evening for good long run, and then she was content to chill in her crate in the house during the day while we went horseback riding, shopping, etc. Her schedule was a more relaxed version of a work day and she was generally only crated from about 10a to 4p or so, sometimes less. The island is very walkable, which she enjoyed.
That's awesome. Do you happen to remember where you stayed/where you booked it? I'd love to be able to do a house/townhouse with a yard.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 03-13-2013, 01:53 PM
Top Dog

If you go to VRBO.com you can just select "pet friendly" and "with a yard"

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Love vacationing with Abe!

Montana has been our latest spot and its always awesome.

I can always find things to do with Abe, a lot of places are super understanding when I say we are on vacation and have our dog can we bring him along.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Behavior Nerd

My mom says we used Sandy Shores Realty to find our house on Ocracoke. http://www.ocracokeislandrealty.com/...cationRentals/

Old 03-13-2013, 03:54 PM
such sights to show you

I love vacationing with the dogs. I've found my go-to pet friendly campground/cabin rental resort in northern MN and go there at least a couple of times a year with various combinations of dogs. When we're tent camping I pretty much have to stay with/around them all the time. When we rent the cabin we can leave them crated if we want to go sightsee something without them.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:03 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

I love taking T-Bone on vacation! We have been to South Carolina a few times and rent a pet-friendly beach house. We take her along since we mostly spend time at the beach, but she's fine if we do some sightseeing without her (usually only one day for a few hours) or go out for dinner/shopping. She's usually so pooped out from all the running around anyway.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Top Dog

Looks like we're vacationing in NC in August (Sorry Jess, no house sitter/Hudson sitter needed).

Now I need to get him collars, leashes & harnesses that are good in the water.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 03-15-2013, 10:50 PM
orange iguanas.

My opinion is that it's not a vacation if the dogs are with.
God, I'm mean.

That's my only contribution! Lol we don't go on vacations. If I did I wouldn't want to bring my dogs with unless I were going somewhere where I planned to be out and about exploring. And in that case, Juno is the only one I'd want with me.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013