Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles


 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #24  
Old 03-12-2013, 11:15 PM
sassafras's Avatar
sassafras sassafras is offline
such sights to show you
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,940
Default

Actually some anticoagulant poisons stay in the body for up to 2-4 weeks. And the way they work, they don't do permanent damage. As long as they are in the system in an active form they interfere with blood clotting, but once they are out of the system they are no longer a danger (unless the dog has bled enough in the meantime to be life threatening). That's why if you know what happened in time, this type of poisoning is actually quite treatable (with anticoagulant rat/mouse poisons only, there are others that have no treatment).

Also, a necropsy may have shown if there was another cause for the bleeding. IME, while not impossible, vomiting blood is pretty uncommon with this type of poisoning. Usually dogs bleed into their lungs or abdomen, or have extensive bruising on the skin.
__________________

Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site