Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Top Dog

You may find you want to walk when you get off. I am up for hours and the wind down time is needed. I can never go straight to bed.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 03-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Top Dog

I have worked an evening/night shift different times in my life and not once did I ever come home and go right to bed.

There are a lot of things you can do at that time without having to go and walk him.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:17 PM
such sights to show you

I don't think it's "fair" or "unfair" - it just is what it is. I don't see it as any different than someone who has a "normal" schedule -- sleeps all night and then goes to work at 8 or 9 am. No matter what someone's schedule is, their sleeping time is almost certainly going to butt up against the time they're not home.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Top Dog

I don't think it's a problem. We only do one long exercise trip in the afternoon, and then she sleeps the whole night and stays home for most of the day and out in the afternoon again.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:34 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I don't think it's "fair" or "unfair" - it just is what it is. I don't see it as any different than someone who has a "normal" schedule -- sleeps all night and then goes to work at 8 or 9 am. No matter what someone's schedule is, their sleeping time is almost certainly going to butt up against the time they're not home.
This.

I think it just looks difficult because of the time of day, it makes it look weird lol, but it really shouldn't be any different from anyone else who works full time. 3 days a week I work 8am-7pm, I do absolutely nothing with my dogs when I get home - I eat dinner, I take a shower, I take a little time to relax and watch TV and then I go to bed. They do fine, I just make sure they take first priority when I do have free time.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 03-12-2013, 10:42 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhucca View Post
I need some advice because I feel like I'm going to be neglecting my dog, but I might be being silly.

So I'm switching to night shift, this week. Schedule change is hard for anyone, even without the responsibility of pets. (or children, but I'm 21 and don't have any of those yet!) So my hours are going to be 6:30pm to 2:30pm. To stay up when I come home would be silly, because I'm not going to go for a walk around my neighborhood around 3am, maybe if I had a Caucasian Ovcharka. So, I think the best idea would to go straight to bed (letting Duke outside first, of course) and wake up around 10:30-11ish. That way, I can take him for a long walk and then I'll be off to the gym. I'm worried though since that's a lot of downtime, 9hrs when I'm at work, then another 8hrs while I'm sleeping. I guess what does go in my favour is that Duke is easy going, and doesn't have high energy demands. but Is that too much?

This is going to hard for him because he's hardly been left alone for the past 2yrs or so - he goes to "work" every day with my friend Dean. Hangs out with people and Boomer all day. Before that, he came to the daycare every day with me. He does have separation anxiety, but it's gotten better. I could ask my new roommate to let him out while he home. He does know Duke (he works for Dean), but he's not much of a dog guy.

This is probably a silly inquiry 'cause lots of people work the same hours, if not more, with dogs... but I'm worried. Humor me if you can thanks in advance.

A picture just because:

(looks like dandruff on him, but it's snow lol)
When I worked for track maintience I would work race nights from about 4pm-1am just on race days ... On non race days I worked days from 7 am- 4pm & my dogs adjusts fine
Old 03-13-2013, 01:57 PM
Lab Love

Thanks everyone for the responses, it's made me feel better.

Last night was my first shift, and it went kind of badly. He's been left alone plenty of times, when I work saturdays or sundays he's left for 8hrs. Yet last night he peed all over a pile of my clothes (my mom would say it's my fault for them being on the floor), and barked when he heard my car coming. Which is bad for my roommate when i'm arriving at 2:15. There are some wrinkles I need to smooth out; I'm not sure why he needed to relieve himsefl. He's never peed inside and he peed/pooped before I left for work. Weird.

I did go for a quick walk too, just to a field 1 block away from my house. He was amped up but mostly because of his alone time neuroses.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever

Last edited by Zhucca; 03-13-2013 at 02:23 PM.