Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside View Post
Wait, HIS? Is there something you aren't telling us in the other thread?
Um... this.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Top Dog

Here's the latest video of Zinga playing disc. I'm horribly sick so there isn't a lot of enthusiasm on my end, but she has more than enough for both of us. I took advantage of the new soft snow and worked on flip catches with her. I think I'm going to call them windmill catches instead because that's what it looks like with her massive amount of legs.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Top Dog

YAY this thread wasn't lost!!

Update on the merle girls' disc training as of right now.

We spent all last weekend at a Pawsitive Vybe B&B. Talk about brain overload. I am STILL sore and exhausted but holy crap did I learn a ton. Both girls rocked it and I am so incredibly excited for this upcoming season. I'm expecting Zuma to knock the competition out of the water and Zinga to make her official freestyle debut as well.

I was also fortunate to spend some time down in Florida with one of my disc idols and got her input on a lot of things. Mostly, how important flatwork is in regards to freestyle routines. Just having a couple ways of moving your dog around the field is fine but it never really produces a routine that flows. We worked a lot on setting the flank, rear crosses, ribbon work as well as some drills to help get more air out of their leaps. Learned some cool new throws as well.

As for what we learned at the B&B, I have pages upon pages of notes. Zuma has enough sequences to make a whole routine and a half. Our trick list has grown a ton and it was great to get more input on how to make our existing tricks flashier.

Zinga has officially gone into full disc training mode. Her growth plates were *almost* closed when I did her prelims at 7 months, she'll be getting another set of rads done in a couple weeks to confirm that they are fully closed in her legs. Until then, leaping is only done on thick mats or in fresh deep snow and kept at a minimum (2-3 actual jumps a week? if that).

We have a playdate coming up on Sunday which is indoors since we still have a ton of snow and ice on the ground. Hopefully I'll get video of some of our new things then.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:41 PM
Top Dog

I made this video to help Linds out, figured I'd post it here in case there is anyone lurking that likes this sort of thing.

Big problem in disc is teaching dogs to jump without dragging their toes. One of the drills that can help that is doing overs but bringing the disc down as the dog goes to grab it. What happens is the dog ends up looking downward which bends their back and results in them bringing their butt up. Muscle memory eventually takes over and you get a nice arching jump.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Twin 2

I'm so grateful you made that video for me! Super helpful!

I had been hoping that if anything good was to come out of winter it was going to be that I had snow to practice jumping and form in with disc. Instead, we just got lots of cold and frozen ground that I didn't want to jump her on.

Now that she's a year old I can start working on it more and hopefully since it's THE FIRST DAY OF SPRING (even though it's currently 20 out) the ground will start to thaw soon.

Any more tips you think of or hear toss them my way pretty please!
Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Top Dog

I know some of these quotes are all over the place but :P. Hudson LOVES Frisbee it seems. I picked a canvas type one up super cheap in Nov. and got it out a month or two ago. he promptly destroyed it, so I got a West Paw one. He really loves it. I can't throw a disc to save my life, but whatevs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Here's one of my favorite resources when it comes to everything disc dog. Pawsitive Vybe (Pvybe) and Ron Watson are amazing about putting up youtube videos explaining different throws, foundation work, catches and tricks. They have playlists organized for different skills building so it's easy to find what you need.

http://www.youtube.com/user/k9disc/v...ow=grid&view=1
I looked up "Disc dogs" in my area and these guys came up. Turns out Pawsitive Vybe is located in Kingston, NY. Also known as about an hour and half from me. Gonna have to look into that a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
YAY this thread wasn't lost!!

Update on the merle girls' disc training as of right now.

We spent all last weekend at a Pawsitive Vybe B&B.
Talk about brain overload. I am STILL sore and exhausted but holy crap did I learn a ton. Both girls rocked it and I am so incredibly excited for this upcoming season. I'm expecting Zuma to knock the competition out of the water and Zinga to make her official freestyle debut as well.

I was also fortunate to spend some time down in Florida with one of my disc idols and got her input on a lot of things. Mostly, how important flatwork is in regards to freestyle routines. Just having a couple ways of moving your dog around the field is fine but it never really produces a routine that flows. We worked a lot on setting the flank, rear crosses, ribbon work as well as some drills to help get more air out of their leaps. Learned some cool new throws as well.

As for what we learned at the B&B, I have pages upon pages of notes. Zuma has enough sequences to make a whole routine and a half. Our trick list has grown a ton and it was great to get more input on how to make our existing tricks flashier.

Zinga has officially gone into full disc training mode. Her growth plates were *almost* closed when I did her prelims at 7 months, she'll be getting another set of rads done in a couple weeks to confirm that they are fully closed in her legs. Until then, leaping is only done on thick mats or in fresh deep snow and kept at a minimum (2-3 actual jumps a week? if that).

We have a playdate coming up on Sunday which is indoors since we still have a ton of snow and ice on the ground. Hopefully I'll get video of some of our new things then.
B&B in NY or somewhere else?

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 03-21-2013, 07:06 AM
Top Dog

I'm really just in here to say that I lurk in this thread and love seeing the updates. I'm probably never going to do disc but I really like seeing how it works and how awesome everyone's dogs are!

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 03-21-2013, 07:32 AM
The Monster.

I think I'm going to have to get more into disc this summer. Cohen seems to really love her frisbee but I have serious trouble throwing. I'm so spazzy that I can't be consistent and my fingers are always where I don't want them to be.

My end goal is to put together a simple yet flowy freestyle routine. I'm part of a group that does performances and we don't always have frisbee dogs with us, so I'd like to fill in the gap a bit. Cohen has a multitude of tricks that I think would work well in a routine. However I think that our distance work is lacking (probably due at least in part to my bad throws).

Anyways, I've never really sat down and tried to figure out the sport, or how to get from point X to point Y. I figure I'll try learn a bit more about it in the coming months and really go at it once the ground dries up a bit. Seeing everyone else's dogs do so well is a good motivator. They're all looking wonderful.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 03-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Top Dog

I'll respond with some ideas for you in a bit for Cohen! On my lunch break now.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:43 PM
Water Junkie

I have kind of the same questions as Sekah does. We've recently started playing with 2 Aussie girls who are local and have access to a large field, working on some dock diving stuff, fit paws, and now we might start some early flyball work. We're just out having fun, and the dogs completely love it. I'd love to give disc a try, even if it's just to try something new out in the field playing around. So how would you start with dogs that know how to catch a frisbee and play simple throw and catch on a regular basis?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l