Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-11-2013, 07:12 PM
DianeRushMav DianeRushMav is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 15
Default

NADAC has a lot of classes he could probably do, and if you did want to jump him, you could end up jumping him pretty low. The highest height is 20", and you can do skilled at 16", when hes a senior you could go down as low at 12".

They have tunnelers/hoopers classes which dont have any other obstacles. Weavers is just tunnels, hoops, and weaves. Touch n Go is contacts, hoops, and tunnels. Jumpers is tunnels and jumps. Regular is all the equipment and Chances is a distance challenge and it can have all the equipment, but at the novice level its very limited, like 10 obstacles maybe. Their contacts are also very low, since NADAC is big on safety, or at least that is their claim as to why their obstacles are how they are.

They also just came out with something new (thats just now picking up momentum), its called EGC. The extreme games challenge, or something like that. It basically has gates (which they go out around). These challenges have no jumps, they are all gates, hoops, and tunnels and rely heavy on distance. I have not ever competed in it, but my club offered it once at a special training night. Here is a link if you wanted to see what it looks like. It was our first time trying it and Rush really liked it! (skip to around 1:15) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD2C3zV3w98

When I read your post I thought of NADAC right away. You can still do agility but alter your goals. Maybe instead of traditional agility, Limit might be more cut out for distance goals with low impact.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-11-2013, 07:18 PM
FG167's Avatar
FG167 FG167 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jefferson, GA
Posts: 2,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Rehoming him because he didn't pan out at 10 months is jumping the gun. He's a baby. Also do not rush to neuter him. Keep up with fun, lower impact, and enjoy him for what he is.

You may learn a lot with him, you may find your soulmate in him. You may decide rehoming is the right choice but until then keep an open mind and let him mature.
Someone asked me right off the bat, is the reason that rehoming addition was in my first novel. I wanted to address it right away. He's fairly popular as an "off" breed so I don't want a bunch of messages right away saying people want him since I don't know what the goal will be long term yet.

The bolded, must remind myself. HE is happy, so I should be happy. I feel so bad and he doesn't care, I need to let it go for now!

Thank you - excellent post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Additionally, I recommend doing Pennhip and OFA, you can even Pennhip now but I would wait until you can do both.
Oooo SO glad you said this. I scratched PennHip because I am doing OFA and a stamps for Kastle for IPO so PennHip is not really an option because I don't want to do three sets of freaking films. But, all of that does not apply to Limit. And I just read an article saying how much better PennHip is, and not as subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
This! You are one of the best dog moms/handlers out there. Limit is a lucky guy to even have you in his life and if he's happy just being in it then you will both be just fine.
Thank you He's happy. He's almost never NOT happy.
__________________
~Falon~
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-11-2013, 07:25 PM
Equinox's Avatar
Equinox Equinox is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,659
Default

Just wanted to let you know that I feel for you and am sorry you're going through this. But I do agree, it's all in your head. He sounds like an awesome little crazy dog and you're giving him such an incredible home. He's so clearly happy, and I don't think you have to worry about doing him justice.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-11-2013, 07:31 PM
FG167's Avatar
FG167 FG167 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jefferson, GA
Posts: 2,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeRushMav View Post
NADAC has a lot of classes he could probably do, and if you did want to jump him, you could end up jumping him pretty low. The highest height is 20", and you can do skilled at 16", when hes a senior you could go down as low at 12".

They have tunnelers/hoopers classes which dont have any other obstacles. Weavers is just tunnels, hoops, and weaves. Touch n Go is contacts, hoops, and tunnels. Jumpers is tunnels and jumps. Regular is all the equipment and Chances is a distance challenge and it can have all the equipment, but at the novice level its very limited, like 10 obstacles maybe. Their contacts are also very low, since NADAC is big on safety, or at least that is their claim as to why their obstacles are how they are.

They also just came out with something new (thats just now picking up momentum), its called EGC. The extreme games challenge, or something like that. It basically has gates (which they go out around). These challenges have no jumps, they are all gates, hoops, and tunnels and rely heavy on distance. I have not ever competed in it, but my club offered it once at a special training night. Here is a link if you wanted to see what it looks like. It was our first time trying it and Rush really liked it! (skip to around 1:15) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD2C3zV3w98

When I read your post I thought of NADAC right away. You can still do agility but alter your goals. Maybe instead of traditional agility, Limit might be more cut out for distance goals with low impact.
So much great information, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
Just wanted to let you know that I feel for you and am sorry you're going through this. But I do agree, it's all in your head. He sounds like an awesome little crazy dog and you're giving him such an incredible home. He's so clearly happy, and I don't think you have to worry about doing him justice.
Thank you

Writing this thread stressed me out in a big way. But, the support, and basic confirmation of my thoughts/plans has really taken a huge weight off my shoulders. (Jason is saying, "I told you so" in the background haha).
__________________
~Falon~
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-11-2013, 07:32 PM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,893
Default

I don't want to make an impression that I am against rehoming a dog that doesn't pan out, within reason, but this is so soon to make that decision.

Also any vet can do OFA but if you go to a pennhip cert vet they can do both in one pop.
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum IPO1 CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil CGC RATI 6/15/13 -
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Airn's Avatar
Airn Airn is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 989
Default

Oh that's a bummer But you have to keep him! How else will I learn what to do with Gwen? (I'm kidding of course. I hope he is still the right fit for you and your family, but sometimes it doesn't work out.)

He really does always look happy. And I love having a Kelpie on Chaz. (Funnily enough, Gwen turns 2 in May.) He's growing into a handsome (crazy) man.

I hope you're still able to do less intense sports with Limit. Maybe you'll find something he's excellent at that's also easy (and cheap!). Good luck with everything
__________________

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-11-2013, 07:34 PM
frostfell's Avatar
frostfell frostfell is offline
Kung Pow Fish
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 844
Default

i might be the unpopular voice here, but is it possible that you've done this damage or sloppyness to his way of going by working him too young? agility is HARD and hes not even 10 months and already doing enough that people are seeing him on the field running and commenting on his lacks, so hes been doing it for a bit of time already. i mean i had some people flipping their lid at me for talking about trotting a 9 mo old on the flat for a mile, and thats nowhere near as strenuous as agility...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Beanie's Avatar
Beanie Beanie is online now
Clicker Cult Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,436
Default

Ditto everybody else - I would wait to neuter him and let his hormones do their work!

It's definitely tough when things don't go as planned, and yes, it's our head and our problem more often than the dog has any issue with it! Been there, done that, came home with the commemorative shot glass. Things did not go the way I dreamed with Auggie, but in the end, I wouldn't trade him for anything. People told me I should just get another dog. I even had people tell me to give Auggie to my parents so I wouldn't have to "mess with him" anymore. Mess with him?! I love him!


I have something similar with Pepper. I wanted a second sport dog... and I got Pepper. I'm not even really training her in agility right now because I don't think she'll have the temperament to trial without a meltdown (LOL I would have to trial her only under short women judges... "Hey does anybody know this judge? Is she short? Like how tall is she?")
My plan was to have three dogs. Three sport dogs... one who was older and retiring (or retired,) one in the middle who was seasoned, and an up and coming puppy. Well, I've got the retired older dog, and the up and coming puppy... and then there's Pepper.
For Pepper, we all make a little room.
For Pepper, I've changed my mind to have four dogs. The older retired dog, the one in the middle who is seasoned, and up and coming puppy... and Pepper.
It's not a slight to Pepper or to myself that she isn't a sport dog, that she is "only" a pet. She gets so much joy out of just snuggling anyway, LOL. But it's definitely not what I had imagined, hoped for, or dreamed about. But she is Pepper. And she is mine. And I wouldn't have it any other way.


And if somebody suggests you "just get another dog," punch them in the face.
__________________


Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-11-2013, 07:41 PM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post

And if somebody suggests you "just get another dog," punch them in the face.
I had this told to me about Backup so many times it still makes me angry. Now people actually love him. He's a wonderful (all be it still weird) dog and I am grateful for hesitating and Denis' guilt trip. He's hilarious, soulfully loyal, gives me everything he can, and is shocking me with focus and ability these days. It took three years of my learning and his maturing but we're finally having real fun.

My motto, as said above, if someone says just get another dog is to punch them in the face.

The first person who offered to buy him excited me but the first person who was genuinely excited to help me train him (in agility) made me excuse myself and cry.

It's *always* about the journey.
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum IPO1 CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil CGC RATI 6/15/13 -
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-11-2013, 07:45 PM
FG167's Avatar
FG167 FG167 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jefferson, GA
Posts: 2,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I don't want to make an impression that I am against rehoming a dog that doesn't pan out, within reason, but this is so soon to make that decision.

Also any vet can do OFA but if you go to a pennhip cert vet they can do both in one pop.
Agreed and thanks for the clarification.

Ohhhhhh, so much to think about (and for Kastle too!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
i might be the unpopular voice here, but is it possible that you've done this damage or sloppyness to his way of going by working him too young? agility is HARD and hes not even 10 months and already doing enough that people are seeing him on the field running and commenting on his lacks, so hes been doing it for a bit of time already. i mean i had some people flipping their lid at me for talking about trotting a 9 mo old on the flat for a mile, and thats nowhere near as strenuous as agility...
He's doing flat work and puppy classes and general socialization. Like, take class with Kastle, bring Limit out to socialize, comments made. He's been over jumps approximately two times in his lifetime. Maybe three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I have something similar with Pepper. I wanted a second sport dog... and I got Pepper.

My plan was to have three dogs. Three sport dogs... one who was older and retiring (or retired,) one in the middle who was seasoned, and an up and coming puppy. Well, I've got the retired older dog, and the up and coming puppy... and then there's Pepper.
For Pepper, we all make a little room.
For Pepper, I've changed my mind to have four dogs. The older retired dog, the one in the middle who is seasoned, and up and coming puppy... and Pepper.
It's not a slight to Pepper or to myself that she isn't a sport dog, that she is "only" a pet. She gets so much joy out of just snuggling anyway, LOL. But it's definitely not what I had imagined, hoped for, or dreamed about. But she is Pepper. And she is mine. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
OMG this is me. I REALLY wanted only three dogs. My funny, take anywhere, dabble in sports, house pet (Eden), my serious competitor (Kastle), and my up and coming competitor (Limit). No reason really that I cannot do four and dabble with Limit as I do with Eden. No reason at all. My mind set only. Working on that. Thanks for posting this, I didn't know and it is exactly how I thought/felt.
__________________
~Falon~
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site