Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Would you co-own a dog?
Yes 27 58.70%
No 13 28.26%
Other - Please explain 7 15.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2013, 11:26 AM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Yes stipulations are the big deal which is why I would be hesitant with most people. I've seen a couple go badly If the dog washes out of its intended purpose. Things really need to be ironed out . Honestly I just want to have total control of my dog. That and I have zero desire to breed dogs ever. I migh would consider but only if I knew the other very well. Especially breeding wise. My thoughts on breeding dogs Are different than those in my breed more often than not. I wouldn't want to be obligated into something I didn't agreed with. Speaking from experience there.
If you're buying a pet from a breeder and the breeder requires their pets to be on co-ownership, there are only two things you have to worry about: 1) If you plan to sell the dog, you won't be able to sell the dog with its papers unless the co-owner signs off (which is where one would naturally have to ask why the dog wasn't going back to the breeder in the first place), and 2) If you decided to breed the dog, you wouldn't be able to produce a registered litter unless the co-owner signed the paperwork (again, a reasonable person would have to ask why you wanted to breed a dog that was deemed and sold as pet quality). Other than that, you have total control of your dog, because co-ownerships by themselves can not obligate you to do anything with your dog that you don't agree to.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:29 AM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Legally I don't think you can sell a co-owned animal, registered or not, without the co-owner signing off on them too. I mean, someone could do it and not tell them but technically half the dog would be considered stolen property if the co-owner reported it. There's also good chances the seller might have sanctions put against them by whatever club they register with/show under.
Nope, doesn't work that way as far as property laws and dogs are concerned. Registration papers are not legal proof of ownership. Contracts, physical ownership, and microchip identification, but not registration papers. In fact, UKC papers actually state point-blank that they are not proof of legal ownership. Without a contract to back up the co-ownership, the only thing the co-ownership does is help to discourage someone from attempting to sell the dog because they wouldn't be able to sell the dog with registration papers without the dog being signed off on.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:38 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
If you're buying a pet from a breeder and the breeder requires their pets to be on co-ownership, there are only two things you have to worry about: 1) If you plan to sell the dog, you won't be able to sell the dog with its papers unless the co-owner signs off (which is where one would naturally have to ask why the dog wasn't going back to the breeder in the first place), and 2) If you decided to breed the dog, you wouldn't be able to produce a registered litter unless the co-owner signed the paperwork (again, a reasonable person would have to ask why you wanted to breed a dog that was deemed and sold as pet quality). Other than that, you have total control of your dog, because co-ownerships by themselves can not obligate you to do anything with your dog that you don't agree to.
I would not co own a dog that wasn't intended to be bred.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Nope, doesn't work that way as far as property laws and dogs are concerned. Registration papers are not legal proof of ownership. Contracts, physical ownership, and microchip identification, but not registration papers. In fact, UKC papers actually state point-blank that they are not proof of legal ownership. Without a contract to back up the co-ownership, the only thing the co-ownership does is help to discourage someone from attempting to sell the dog because they wouldn't be able to sell the dog with registration papers without the dog being signed off on.
The contract is part of it, but not the whole thing. I know people who co-owned dogs with buyers that later sold them without asking permission. They went to small claims court and got their dogs back. They had a contract saying that ownership of the dog could not be transferred without their consent. However, I doubt that the contract would have had that much power in a court room if they didn't also retain partial ownership of the dog.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:46 AM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
The contract is part of it, but not the whole thing. I know people who co-owned dogs with buyers that later sold them without asking permission. They went to small claims court and got their dogs back. They had a contract saying that ownership of the dog could not be transferred without their consent. However, I doubt that the contract would have had that much power in a court room if they didn't also retain partial ownership of the dog.
Since registration papers are not considered proof of legal ownership, then yes, the legally binding contract that was signed by both parties would have been the only thing that made that outcome possible. The only thing the co-ownership did was prevent the person from selling the dog with its registration papers, unless the signature was forged, but that's another legal matter all together.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Top Dog

you're one of those people that likes to argue the tiniest of details and ignore the reality of the situation aren't you? yes, a co-ownership only applies to registering puppies and breeding. In reality, people that enter in to co-ownerships sign agreements that have other stipulations. they may or many not be a part of a "co-own" agreement, but often times they are.

I tend to think in the real world when someone signs a co-ownership contract, they consider everything in there to be a part of being the "co-owner" and a part of that contract.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:02 PM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
you're one of those people that likes to argue the tiniest of details and ignore the reality of the situation aren't you? yes, a co-ownership only applies to registering puppies and breeding. In reality, people that enter in to co-ownerships sign agreements that have other stipulations. they may or many not be a part of a "co-own" agreement, but often times they are.

I tend to think in the real world when someone signs a co-ownership contract, they consider everything in there to be a part of being the "co-owner" and a part of that contract.
No, I'm one of those people that co-owns darn near everything I have, or have sold/placed, and unlike some of the participants in this thread, I'm not pulling things out of my ass because I don't understand how co-ownership actually works.

You gave your example and determined it to be a co-ownership issue, and I'm telling you that whatever that breeder is doing or requiring their buyers to do has nothing to do with whether or not the dogs are co-owned. N-o-t-h-i-n-g. "In the real world" as you put it, registration papers and co-owners are...once again...not proof of legal ownership nor rights to a dog and so "in the real world" 99% of the issues people attribute to being co-ownership issues are NOT.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:22 PM
I'm All Ears

I have never personally seen a co ownership without other stipulations attached or at least other agreements. All I am saying is I'd want all that spelled out very clearly. No one is sayin co ownership is bad.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Since registration papers are not considered proof of legal ownership, then yes, the legally binding contract that was signed by both parties would have been the only thing that made that outcome possible. The only thing the co-ownership did was prevent the person from selling the dog with its registration papers, unless the signature was forged, but that's another legal matter all together.
Then why does the name on the registration papers affect who gets the dog in division of property in a divorce case?
Old 03-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Top Dog

my last 4 dogs have been co-owns, tell me all about them.