Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-07-2013, 06:31 AM
Top Dog

Just sounds like he's trying to play with you but hasn't learned that you don't make a good toy. Doesn't sound like aggression at all. Encourage him to play with toys and if he starts going for you get up and walk away from him, then ignore him for a minute. My dog was a really bad biter but was unable to get on the couch, so for a while if he went after me I'd stand on the couch until he stopped wanting to get me. Then I'd encourage him to play tug with me using a toy so he learned that when he got the urge to play with something he knew he could use a toy. Now he has the best bite inhibition ever. You just want him to learn that you fail as a chew toy, you're never any fun when he tries to get you to play.

Tucker literally drew blood from us every day and made me never want a puppy again. But oddly enough the super bad biting only lasted a few weeks, it just felt like a lifetime. You just have to be very consistent and he'll stop wanting to use you as a tug toy.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 03-07-2013, 06:56 AM
Top Dog

I just wanted to come in and say that rescues are usually much more willing to take in puppies than adults. Puppies get adopted MUCH faster and easier. It can't hurt to try contacting some, I bet at least one would be willing to do a courtesy post!

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 03-07-2013, 07:09 AM
Top Dog

It's hard to say without seeing the behaviour, but it does sound like a typical puppy.
Could you get a video of when he's acting up like this?
Old 03-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Top Dog

I also don't think your description of this puppy makes him sound aggressive, whatsoever. He sounds like a very, very, very normal boisterous puppy.

It also doesn't sound like the methods you're using (restraining him by the scruff of his neck, pushing his lips into his mouth so he bites them) are going to be helpful, and they might be making it worse. You're going to teach the puppy that he should avoid human handling because it's unpleasant for him, or even worse, make him afraid of people - which could CAUSE aggression to start.

Instead, when he tries to mouth at you or your clothing, shove an appropriate chew toy in his mouth and praise him heavily for accepting the toy. If he drops the toy to bite at you again, end the game. Stand up, turn away from him, no longer speak to him. He WILL continue biting at you for a few minutes, but continue ignoring him, and eventually he'll give up and grab a toy, instead. When he does this, praise him, and start to interact with him again.

He is not going to learn to stop mouthing you overnight or in a few days. But if you're consistent with it, he'll catch on pretty quickly.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Active Pup

I am located in MD.

I have recently contacted a rescue (Jasmine's House) and I am just waiting to hear back - its the only one I found that has a surrender option, and I am in the process of still looking around. Sometimes I know he is playing, but other times I don't think that's it. I have met plenty of rowdy puppies (and pit bull puppies), but its the change in him in certain situations that has me concerned. Mostly situations he doesn't have control of, like when hes biting himself instead of me. Either way, I know the behavior can be worked with, it has just made me more hesitant as to where to re-home him to. I know like 3 of my friends would snatch him up, but I wouldnt trust them to train him properly. I thought about keeping him for a microsecond, but honestly I don't want another dog and I don't have the time he needs. I think an experienced home would do wonders with him, he is very smart and athletic and also very sweet (when he isn't being a demon :P). All that being said, I just want whats best for him.

If anyone knows of rescues, I would love information! I am hoping to find him a place within a few weeks. I don't know how rescues work, if they will take dogs that fast or not. My mom wants to take him to the shelter, but I don't want to. My county shelter is filled with mostly Pit-bulls and they wont adopt them out to families with kids or other pets.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Active Pup

I can try to get a video.

Also, I have been doing the toy replacement thing since we got him. He will chew on it for a few seconds and then go back to nomming on body parts. Its a work in progress.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Top Dog

You could try to rehome him with a contract stating that they'll take him to a training class you choose or consult a certain trainer.

What sort of situations cause the puppy's temperament to change so rapidly? Is it if he's around more people, the other dogs start to play, certain types of toys, etc? It could even be that he is getting over-tired, or a certain amount of time before/after he eats, that he gets "wired" and has lower inhibition and self-control, or a lower threshold for excitement. It sounds like it could be caused by frustration.

And what do you mean by situations where he's not in control, and biting himself instead of you? Why is he biting himself?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Active Pup

How far would you be willing to drive, to get him into a proper foster home?
Please let us know what the rescue says, if they can't take him I may be able to work something out.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZillyAPBT View Post
How far would you be willing to drive, to get him into a proper foster home?
Please let us know what the rescue says, if they can't take him I may be able to work something out.
I was going to ask the same thing. OP, how far can you transport?
Old 03-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Active Pup

When a puppy bites me, I have always just gently rolled their lips under their teeth (if the puppy is biting down hard), and it makes them let up in their bite and have a softer mouth. If I do it, he sometimes bites down harder and gets angry. He has also gotten really mad when I picked him up and held him for too long. I think its out of frustration definitely, but whether or not its aggression idk honestly. I mean to me, it seems like aggression. I have stopped rolling his gums under his teeth since that obviously doesn't work. I now just remove myself from the situation and place him in his kennel for quiet time. Usually this behavior springs from him being too rough and me trying to make him stop. No matter what I do (I have pushed him away and he has gotten mad). A few times I just put my fingers on his jaw to remove it from my pants and he reacted horribly to this and started snarling and snapping at my fingers. Maybe my methods are horrible and the cause of the problem. I'm not sure honestly.

I have a no-car situation, but I hope to remedy that soon (within the next couple of days). I would probably be able to drive a few hours.