Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Little dog, big voice

Default Average costs of feeding pre-made raw?

I keep getting more and more interested in pre-made raw, such as Stella and Chewy's and Sojo's. By the looks of it, Stella and Chewy's would be more feasible since you don't need to add the meat to it and my mom still believes the vet after they said raw meat is full of bacteria that isn't good for dogs.

I can't imagine it'd be horribly expensive to feed a five pound dog, but if anyone else feeds that brand, roughly how much do you spend per month? I think Cali would be much more enticed to eat pre-made raw compared to her kibble.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Top Dog

Price is going to vary depending on region, but at my store, a 3lb bag of raw (Primal, Stella & Chewy's, Instinct) is about $20-25.

At 5lbs, you would be feeding about 2 oz/day, so a 3lb bag would last you about 24 days, give or take.

I would say you'll be spending $25-30, depending on what brand/formula you go with.

Sojos would be a bit cheaper, and they do have two formulas that are complete and balance - one with beef, one with turkey.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I bought a 3lb bag of instinct (the medallions) for about $21. With 48 medallions per 3lb bag feeding a 10lb cat it will last me about 12-15 days if I feed 3.5-4oz a day.
Not Named- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 03-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Top Dog

Sojo's is the most cost effective for dogs and cats for me. But that could definitely be because it's locally made.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 03-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Little dog, big voice

Thanks for the insight everyone!

I talked to my mom about it and she felt as though I should save my money up for university instead of buying Cali pre-made raw. However, I'm going to at least try Cali on it this summer, and if she really likes it, I doubt $25/$30 a month is going to be a huge deal. Even so, maybe I'll just rotate it with her kibble.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Little dog, big voice

I'm hoping that the Global Pet Foods will be able to order it in, because that would make it easier to get... but the chain website doesn't have them listed in their products.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Aussie Obssessed

That's the great thing about owning small dogs, they are cheap to feed! I spend about $75 a month for my three on medium quality kibble (Native and NutriSource), it would be hundreds of $$$ a month for me to feed pre-made raw. If I had one tiny dog I would be spoiling it rotten XD
Old 03-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Little dog, big voice

Her size definitely makes everything a little easier! According to the servings calculator on the Stella and Chewy's site, she'd only need 1/4 of the large Super Beef patty each day.

As for her kibble, I think it takes her about two months to go through a $25 bag... keeping in mind that our spaniel always sneaks his way over and steals her leftovers. I've been trying to get my mom to switch him to a higher quality kibble, but it's a no go so far. The irony of it is that he prefers Cali's food and she prefers his.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Puppy Dog

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Mae View Post
I keep getting more and more interested in pre-made raw, such as Stella and Chewy's and Sojo's. By the looks of it, Stella and Chewy's would be more feasible since you don't need to add the meat to it and my mom still believes the vet after they said raw meat is full of bacteria that isn't good for dogs.

I can't imagine it'd be horribly expensive to feed a five pound dog, but if anyone else feeds that brand, roughly how much do you spend per month? I think Cali would be much more enticed to eat pre-made raw compared to her kibble.
Hello Cali Mae,

With all due-respect to your mom, she is 100% wrong regarding raw meat, bacteria and dogs. This is the position taken by the AVMA & AAHA but they have a different agenda, since healthy cats/dogs are bad for their business.

Not only are dogs/cats perfectly suited for eating raw meat (it’s what they’ve been eating for forty million years or so), there’s nothing, nothing about them, inside or out, that says they should be eating anything else.
Your dog's body is designed by nature to deal with considerable amounts of both familiar and foreign bacteria – the type of bacteria he/she would encounter by eating wild prey.
• A dog’s gastrointestinal tract (G.I) is very short (2X – 6X their body length) not giving bacteria much time to grow.
• A dog’s PH is incredibly acidic at 1.0 – 1.5, killing whatever bacteria may be around.
• Dogs produce a tremendous amount of bile which is both anti-parasitic and anti-pathogenic. If the stomach acid doesn't kill the bacteria the bile will.
This is why wild canine/felines can eat meat that has been sitting in the hot desert sun for days at a time.
Plus, dogs and cats naturally have salmonella in their GI tracts much of the time. Their bodies are familiar with it.
About 75% of cats/dogs have periodontal disease. The only way for a cat/dog to have healthy teeth/gums is to chew and eat raw meaty bones.

You and I have an incredibly higher chance of food poisoning than any carnivore ever will.
We have a high and very-much less acidic PH of around 4.5 – 5.5 and a G.I. tract of around 30 feet.
Humans cook hundreds of millions of meals every day around the world using raw meat yet the amount of salmonella poising we get is very rare... I’ll venture to wager that you and your family have never gotten salmonella poisoning.

It’s great to hear that you’re looking for other alternatives besides kibble.
Many good stores sell frozen raw diets if you so choose, but being more expensive than making your own.
Where in Canada are you located? I can give you the names of a few places that sell good foods.
What kibble are you currently feeding?

You can go to the thread Here's what a balanced, enzyme rich raw food diet does to see what happened to the latest member of my family. It costs me around $2.50/day to feed him the best, and he’s 73 lbs...
Best regards, Roger Biduk