Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Top Dog

I would say Lab or Porteguese Water Dog
Old 03-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
I think really just about any of the retrievers except maybe golden would fit.
This was my thought.

Specifically, lab, toller, PWD and barbet came to mind.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Top Dog

PWDs have pretty high grooming demands.

My thought was lab. A boxer might work but most of them aren't thrilled with swimming. I think a german shepherd (mix?) from rescue or even a well-chosen dog by a conformation breeder would be appropriate, too...a working bred shepherd might be a little much for her to handle.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Active Pup

I'm thinking a Labrador. Great friend and great dog.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:38 AM
Taxiderpy

Wirehaired pointing griffons fit all of those really well. They do get wet beards when drinking, but dry out pretty quick. I don't know if that would bother her since she says no drool.

Charlie had built in off lead ability. It was awesome. He was really fun to work with. He definitely loved water and had the highest pain tolerance of any dog I've seen.

For water, that was how we tired him out, lol. We lived on the beach and he'd run up and down the waterfall every day, go swimming in the ocean every day, run through the creek every day. He taught himself to dive underwater at high tide and find/retrieve butterclams. His nickname was Muddy Mudskipper. It's definitely a breed of waterbeasts. I honestly don't know how I would have handled him every day without water handy.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Lexi'sMom

Default Re: Breed Suggestions

I'm going to go with the general consensus here and say a Retriever. Labs are super friendly (kind of slow to train, even breeders will admit they're not the smartest but they are great dogs), Goldens wouldn't be good because of grooming requirements, I'd recommend a Chesepeake Bay Retriever if you can get one, maybe a Poodle or Curly Coated Retriever.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
PWDs have pretty high grooming demands.
Unless you get an improper coat

I'd have to know more before suggesting one though. They really need a lot of early socialization and training, much like a lot of herding breeds. They can be destructive and very loud, though it doesn't sound like exercise would be an issue here! They are generally good with other dogs and very devoted to their people. Like to cuddle and be with you all the time. They are quite trainable but can be a bit independent too. They're more quirky than a Lab or Golden for sure and much more prone to being "weird" about strangers, unfamiliar stuff, noise, etc than those breeds. Unfortunately, there's a lot of health issues in the breed despite the parent club being extremely proactive about testing.

Curly Coats are nice dogs IME, uncomplicated like good retrievers should be but more reasonable than a Lab. I know a handful and they are just really, really nice dogs.