Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Their excess of size alone is a healthy deterrent to be aware of. While you can fine smaller dutch they commonly boast size as an advantage.

I will agree most dutch I know are very malinois like, often because they're so interbred. LOL I often hear the pros of being a bit less frantic and a bit more of thinkers are offset with their sheer strength and at times willful behavior.
This is something I forgot about, because Indy is perfectly Malinois sized. Her brother is a horse though, but I've heard her sister is smaller than her. Most of the ones I've met have been not exactly enormous, but sizable. They don't seem to be quite as "pocket rocket" sized as some of the Belgians can be. And yeah, most of them are quite beefy. I've seen more refined looking dogs online, and Indy is particularly refined looking to me. Some of them can be coarse looking dogs, though I'm sure that's more to do with lines than overall Dutchie-ness.

I can't really comment on the frantic-ness, because I don't think I've ever met more than a couple Mals in real life, and they were no touch police dogs, but from online reports, Indy is not nearly as frantic as some Mals.

And yes, she is, at times, frustratingly willful.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:28 AM
Top Dog

I will be back later today to do a full post. I bought a Dutchie to do SAR with, started Schutzhund with him and now have a working line GSD I do a wide number of sports with. I also work for a company that trains and handles bomb detection dogs so I work with a HUGE number of Mals every day (along with GSDs and some DSs).

In general, based on what you want the dog for, I would strongly recommend not going for a DS unless you are VERY knowledgeable about the specific lines they are coming from. GSDs, even extreme drive ones, can make great house pets. Mals are tolerable, DSs tend to be more difficult although I did it, it was NOT easy.

Will be back later with more direct comparisons of breed. Plus, all that being said, I am most likely getting a Mal for my next Schutzhund dog even though my GSD is by far the best dog I've worked personally.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Professional Nerd

My experience with Dutchies is that they are an in-between, but they can be at ends of the spectrum. A friend has several that she imported from Van Leeuwen as well as one from Vrijheid. While drivey, she reports them to be excellent house dogs. Another friend has a Vrijheid pup about 10mo or so and find him to be a good worker, energetic, but a good house dog. All of these males are quite large, but the females not so much.

One of my favorite dogs was a Dutchie that a friend had. He was bombproof and amazing with children but had enough of a civil side that could turn on when necessary. He was a Malinois sized dog. I wanted a clone of him so badly. He was bred in Michigan but his pedigree was unknown.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
My experience with Dutchies is that they are an in-between, but they can be at ends of the spectrum. A friend has several that she imported from Van Leeuwen as well as one from Vrijheid. While drivey, she reports them to be excellent house dogs. Another friend has a Vrijheid pup about 10mo or so and find him to be a good worker, energetic, but a good house dog. All of these males are quite large, but the females not so much.

One of my favorite dogs was a Dutchie that a friend had. He was bombproof and amazing with children but had enough of a civil side that could turn on when necessary. He was a Malinois sized dog. I wanted a clone of him so badly. He was bred in Michigan but his pedigree was unknown.
I really like the look and sound of some of the Vrijheid dogs... maybe if I ever wanted to go stripey... lol

Old 03-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
I really like the look and sound of some of the Vrijheid dogs... maybe if I ever wanted to go stripey... lol
Stripey is the new brown.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
That's the kennel I was going to PM about. Great dogs from what I see.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:

Everybody I know that has dealt with them has nothing but good things to say and are very happy with their dogs. It would be one of the places I'd go to look if I was going to get one.

A friend in Minneapolis has a nice Van Leeuwen bitch that he plans to breed eventually once she titles in Mondio. I've really been impressed with their dogs! They do require that you pick up pups in person, though, so be ready to go on vacation to Holland if you want to get one directly from them.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:09 PM
such sights to show you

We had a client who had a DS that was a police dog dropout and was pretty much a slightly-more reserved lab with a DS suit on. I guess that just reinforces the "variety" point everyone is making.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
Everybody I know that has dealt with them has nothing but good things to say and are very happy with their dogs. It would be one of the places I'd go to look if I was going to get one.

A friend in Minneapolis has a nice Van Leeuwen bitch that he plans to breed eventually once she titles in Mondio. I've really been impressed with their dogs! They do require that you pick up pups in person, though, so be ready to go on vacation to Holland if you want to get one directly from them.
A friend of mine had one from there too. Not much for a sport dog, but he was very nice. A little too quick to go to aggression for me, but not anything that made him "unsound" just not what I look for. My dogs need to be a little more social, at least I prefer they be. He was big too, and powerful.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Btw, I have said this before but start now. Meet a club, be an extra body, pose as a mock judge, a track layer, a group member, help with set up and clean up, anything. Start tracking with your current dogs, practice IPO style obed with your dogs, and learn about puppy foundations by hands on helping other members. Our club could always use an extra body.

I would also bet you can't really judge your dogs opinion of Bitework without a proper introduction. You may never have a regional dog or even a club trial dog but you can learn a lot by just being around and training. It will totally make your choice, of get a shepherd breed or not, easier and I think you should know approximately your interest before getting a dog for the sport because most dogs bred with the sport in mind are happiest there and thus asking them to mold into another lifestyle can be challenging for most handlers.

Hope that helps, there is so much more to IPO than buying a dog with all the potential.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.