Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
If he's in Ontario, he needs to stay away from anything bully, or anything that might be mistaken for something bully.

How about a nice hound?
If she's an hour away from where he's moving, its definitely not Ontario, I believe she's out East.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Top Dog

What about keeping an eye on kijiji for whatever dog needs a new home? That's where Gage and Diesel came from!
Old 03-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
That pretty much completely obliterates the "generally healthy with longer lifespan" requirement. Also doubt the person wants to spend several thousand dollars on a designer "breed" from a BYB.

I'd stay away from most bully breeds/mixes myself, with that list. I'd rule out most hounds too, if he's actually wanting breeds that are overtly people friendly (walk up and actively greet/play with people they don't know), most hound breeds are aloof with strangers.

That's such a short want list, but it's like playing a game of, "Good, fast, or cheap...you can only pick two."

If "friendly" just means "not prone to human aggression" that opens it up a bit more, what about something like a Weim?
Moderate energy lets out a Weim to me, and I discounted most of the sporting group for that reason. One of the reasons I brought up hounds is that pretty much all the hound breeds are really, really good at chilling. This goes for both sight and scent hounds, so it gives a wide range to pick from.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:43 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I'm not sure how long Bassets live but holy hell they are friendly dogs. Noisy, messy, and funny to watch trip on their own ears but FRIENDLY. I always feel like the coolest person on earth with the Bassets at my work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Shelter labrabmutt?
Better yet, a BassetxLab shelter mutt! ^_^

(^A foster I had a few years ago. He was from a high kill shelter. Awesome, awesome dog.)

Old 03-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Little dog, big voice

Thanks for all the suggestions!

He'll be staying in New Brunswick when he moves, although he does travel a decent amount for his job. I know his girlfriend would be keen to look after the dog when he does go on work trips though, which is the one thing I worried about.

I doubt he's looking to spend a couple thousand dollars on any dog, but I think if he did want to look into particular breeds, he'd be okay with maybe a thousand. For him, probably the most important traits in a dog would be the friendly, up to go for a hike/walk/etc and although it's a tall order, not an insane amount of barking. Alert barking is fine and some amount of barking while playing is fine, but I don't think he wants a dog who is extremely vocal.

His idea of friendly is just that the dog isn't aggressive but isn't too reserved either. I know he'd love the idea of having a dog excited to see him but having a dog who is that way over everyone, isn't important to him. Just friendly enough that he could walk around the city or go to the beach, etc and not have to worry. Friendly with other dogs as well, and although small animals aren't quite as important, it is the city... so a dog with a high prey drive wouldn't be the best bet. Likely, the dog's primary playmate would be my dad's girlfriend's parents' Golden Retriever, who my dad is pretty fond of.

I've been browsing the shelter and kijiji ads lately too for him. I think probably a shelter lab mix or even a herding mix could be good for him.

ETA: Too bad he completely veto'd the idea of a small dog, they have a little Papillon mix up for adoption!

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Kung Pow Fish

there are classic or xl ambullies that are health tested and less than 1k, contrary to what some might want to think
Old 03-02-2013, 07:57 PM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
there are classic or xl ambullies that are health tested and less than 1k, contrary to what some might want to think
Only Bullies I'm aware of that are health tested (and not human aggressive) have elbow and/or hip dysplasia, are being bred anyway, being linebred on dogs that carry chondrodysplastic dwarfism, and sold with UKC papers as APBTs even though they're designer mutts. And this is one of the "better" breeders. I'm not going to hijack Cali's post to get into an argument over Bullies or Doodlewhats or any other designer dog but I'll be happy to share my thoughts in a separate thread if you'd like to create one.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:20 AM
Top Dog

I have to make the obligatory sighthound suggestion
Greyhound! There is a rescue in New Brunswick that adopts all over the maritimes.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Little dog, big voice

That was my other idea as well! They sound like they could be a good fit, in the way that they seem to be content to lay around but also enjoy going out for a run/walk. I'm going to message him the link to the rescue actually.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Lexi'sMom

Smile Re: Breed suggestions

I think your dad should go for a shelter dog. Depending where he is, most shelters can match him up with a dog that matches his lifestyle and that has the personality/temperament he's looking for.

I'd steer clear from hounds or huskies as they are likely to bolt/wander when they see something interesting (though that is not always the case and can be trained out of the dog).

As for energy and trainability, Rottweilers are athletic, enthusiastic dogs that love a workout. If you get a Rottie or Rottie mix though, it is better to get them young because they need a lot of socialization as a puppy to fully warm up to people and other dogs. I've never had a problem with my Rottie being dog aggressive, but she is pretty timid with new people. Also, very little shedding, just give them a bath once a month and you're good to go.

Another option for him might be a German Shepherd (if so be warned they are seasonal shedders, but athletic dogs and fairly easy to find breeders). Weimeraners and Vizslas are great if he wasnts a more athletic dog. One of my professor's has a Weimeraner and she is great with his baby.